Extra step now for opening a bank account

dcnx

The "work permit" thing is what they all know, because only a few people have one and it's not their standard task of work. So it's easier to get rid of that farang than do anything extra and possibly wrong.

It changes completely when you put that yellow book on the desk. They know what to do, you are in the system and everything works according to the script.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you walk into a bank in Thailand; dressed smartly, with a passport and a rental contract, with a Thai (who can translate) in tow and a decent sum of money to deposit - you will have no issues whatsoever opening an account both local or foreign currency. If, on the other hand, you turn up in a wifebeater, shorts and sandals with 1,000 Baht and a tourist visa - you will be told to sling your hook 9 times out of 10.

If the bank thinks you're a decent person with large sums of money available to them - they will want your business. If they think you're an ignorant *** with no money - not so much.

It's Asia so do things the Asian way. Or don't and whine about it on ThaiVisa instead.

What is "dressed smartly"? And i am " decent sum of money to deposit "?blink.png

I come to bank "shorts and sandals" with stamp, just say write my adres( not show an contract) give my passport and give 700 Baht and BINGO account openned..

biggrin.png

What is "Asian way"?blink.png

I opened a Bangkok bank account last year for my 400,000 In CM. Passport and O visa were enough. Staff were friendly and helpful. I transferred money from the UK with London Bangkok Bank. That worked without problem also. All the banks can be hit and miss depending on branch and staff member you are sat in front of.

The "work permit" thing is what they all know, because only a few people have one and it's not their standard task of work. So it's easier to get rid of that farang than do anything extra and possibly wrong.

It changes completely when you put that yellow book on the desk. They know what to do, you are in the system and everything works according to the script.

yes this is i accept.
so what why not all branch open easy bank account.
biggrin.png

If you walk into a bank in Thailand; dressed smartly, with a passport and a rental contract, with a Thai (who can translate) in tow and a decent sum of money to deposit - you will have no issues whatsoever opening an account both local or foreign currency. If, on the other hand, you turn up in a wifebeater, shorts and sandals with 1,000 Baht and a tourist visa - you will be told to sling your hook 9 times out of 10.

If the bank thinks you're a decent person with large sums of money available to them - they will want your business. If they think you're an ignorant *** with no money - not so much.

It's Asia so do things the Asian way. Or don't and whine about it on ThaiVisa instead.

What is "dressed smartly"? And i am " decent sum of money to deposit "?blink.png

I come to bank "shorts and sandals" with stamp, just say write my adres( not show an contract) give my passport and give 700 Baht and BINGO account openned..

biggrin.png

What is "Asian way"?blink.png

I arrived in shorts and t-shirt and on bicycle. In full view of the staff as the whole front of the bank is glass. Account opened no problem.

If you transfer bigger amounts of money, such as for buying property, you should open an account in foreign currency (of your home country or where the money comes from) and transfer in that currency into the Thai account. Then change the money in Thailand. You also need that Foreign Currency Exchange Form (FET) if you want to bring the money out of the country again.

If you transfer bigger amounts of money, such as for buying property, you should open an account in foreign currency (of your home country or where the money comes from) and transfer in that currency into the Thai account. Then change the money in Thailand. You also need that Foreign Currency Exchange Form (FET) if you want to bring the money out of the country again.

Not realy

Foreing currency need if you want have deposit ammount in foreing currency and its not matter transfer or give cash.

If you not have foreing curency account ( only Bath account) and if you trasfer money ANY ammount its be automaticly exchange to Thai Bath.

What branch of Bangkok Bank told you this and what type of visa do you have?

I suspect it was a branch not used to dealing with foreigners. If you look at the Bangkok Bank website under "Foreigner Customers - Opening an Account" http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

You'll see that there are several options to verify your identity with Bangkok Bank. A "reference letter" from your embassy is indeed one option. (I don't know of any embassy that would write such a letter!) or a reference from your home bank or a person known to them. I've served as the "person known to them" as reference for several people opening accounts at the Kad Suan Kaew branch since I'm a long-time customer with what they consider to be an acceptably large amount on deposit. The Kad Suan Kaew branch is very foreigner friendly and interested in opening accounts for people who intend to be long-term residents. They especially like the 800,000 baht accounts used to justify retirement visa extensions.

And yes, for many people Bangkok Bank is indeed the best bank to use, esp. for U.S. retirees and others who receive regular payments from the U.S. that they'd like to have direct deposited into their local Thai bank account. Bangkok Bank has a commercial branch in New York City, so you can use the U.S. ACH system to transfer funds as if Bangkok Bank was a U.S.-based bank. It's easy to use internet banking with your U.S. bank to transfer money into your Bangkok Bank account too and avoid expensive wire transfer fees.

No other Thai bank is tied into the U.S. ACH system this way. (ACH is automated clearing house system where use the routing number and account number to direct a funds transfer)

Kad Suan Kaew branch. I'm on a non-imm b. They said it is a new regulation.

I can maybe understand the confirmation of address (smells like a Certificate of Residence....which you can get from either Immigration or your embassy/consulate).....but how does either Immigration or your embassy/consulate confirm the validity of a passport? I've never even seen a form which would do that. Goofy.

Edit: To confirm the validity of the passport, maybe take a video of an Immigration official or embassy/consulate official holding your passport and saying "Hmmm....looks okay to me!"

The form was for Thai immigration, a letter was required from your own embassy.

ANY ammount its be automaticly exchange to Thai Bath.

Yes, and my point was, if you transfer bigger amounts, the exchange rate may become something of concern. Besides that FET paper.

Did you know with BKK Bank you can't even close an account, unless you go to the branch you opened it? biggrin.png. No joke, still have one from Lad Prao, zero balance for many years. Online Banking even works still. Their costs due to bureaucrazy must be skyrocketing.

Interesting. I opened my first BKK Bank account at the Thapae Road branch about 15 years ago when it was super easy. Just showed passport (visa exempt).

I did not keep the required min balance of a paltry few hundred bahts and the account had been closed when I went back. Don't recall the timeframe.

I opened mine with just a tourist visa in my passport. They wanted a local address for correspondence, so I gave a friends.

But that was SCB on Thae Pae road, about 12 years ago.

biggrin.png

I can maybe understand the confirmation of address (smells like a Certificate of Residence....which you can get from either Immigration or your embassy/consulate).....but how does either Immigration or your embassy/consulate confirm the validity of a passport? I've never even seen a form which would do that. Goofy.

Edit: To confirm the validity of the passport, maybe take a video of an Immigration official or embassy/consulate official holding your passport and saying "Hmmm....looks okay to me!"

Thank you for returning to the thread. I shall make an inquiry at the Kad Suan Kaew branch. If true, this is indeed a new development and should be investigated and understood.

Thank you for returning to the thread. I shall make an inquiry at the Kad Suan Kaew branch. If true, this is indeed a new development and should be investigated and understood.

Her name is slipping my mind at the moment, but the lady I deal with has short hair, desk #7 I believe is hers.

Nancy has the right of this; it took a tourist visa, a rental contract and a nice Thai co-signatory to open my account in Bangkok Bank. No other documentation required; which is as it should be according to their internal processes.

I didn't even need some one to vouch for me. Maybe if the wife hadn't been with me they would have asked for some one. But just seeing her with me was all they needed they didn't even ask her any thing. I also did not have a rtental contract with me. Mine was the bank of Siam.

Personally I think banks have certain things they are supposed to do but different branches will often vary from them

28 years with Bangkok Bank and nary a problem, if anything at least as good as service if not better than my home country. Internet banking, Credit card, friendly, helpful service always.

I opened my first Bangkok Bank account in Phuket in the mid '80's. When I moved to Chiang Mai I didn't have to go to Phuket to close my account, the Chiang Mai office just transferred the little funds I had there to my new account. I assume the account just timed out and automatically was closed with no funds in it.

From the OP - "This applies to existing customers opening new accounts as well as new customers."

Just last week my Bangkok Bank rep came to my office to switch my just expired fixed account into a new account so obvious doesn't apply to existing customers. In case some may not be aware, when a fixed account expires they normally close it and create a new account with the new terms.

Saying that xx bank is bad due to a bad experience at one branch is myopic. It could apply to every bank name in Thailand, some branches have a clue some don't.

Saying that xx bank is bad due to a bad experience at one branch is myopic. It could apply to every bank name in Thailand, some branches have a clue some don't.

Yes, true. Been through many. I'm happy with what I wrote now. You take your business where it is appreciated.

Foreign currency accounts are getting much more difficult to open these days - at any bank in Thailand. And for example a U.S. citizen attempting to open a CHF account - forget it; those days are over. USA citizens will now be handed a U.S. tax form to sign.

I believe that's because of FATCA. The US muscleing in on other countries banks.I can't believe other countries bending over and allow the US to do whatever it wants.

Why would anyone go to Bangkok Bank anyway. This is the last resort if one has no other option.

Why is that?

Been with them 8 years and never had any issues at all.

I like the fact I can have a foreign currency account with them and also their Internet banking is excellent.

Agree wholeheartedly. I deal with the 2nd branch and our regular gal rep is sensational---English skills, product knowledge and professionalism.

Did you know with BKK Bank you can't even close an account, unless you go to the branch you opened it? biggrin.png.

That's patently false.

If your balance goes below a fixed amount for one year (I believe the threshold is 2,000 baht) the account will be closed.

My account is on zero for at least 6 years and according to the internet it's "temporarily unavailable". That's what it will probably remain for the next 50 or 100 years :)

Did you know with BKK Bank you can't even close an account, unless you go to the branch you opened it? biggrin.png.

That's patently false.

If your balance goes below a fixed amount for one year (I believe the threshold is 2,000 baht) the account will be closed.

Why would anyone go to Bangkok Bank anyway. This is the last resort if one has no other option.

I am not sure why you would say that. I have had an account with Bangkok Bank (Naklua Branch) since 1993 and I have nothing but good to say about them. I always receive friendly and courteous service and can't remember ever having a problem with them. Their credit card service, personal service over the phone and internet banking are all very good. I can't say that for the purple bank.

My branch of Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai asked me for the same 8 years ago. No change.

I had no problem opening an account 5 years ago with Kasikorn, but I tried to transfer my account from Khon Kaen to Lampang and was told I needed the extra verification as stated by OP.

I suspect it was a branch not used to dealing with foreigners. If you look at the Bangkok Bank website under "Foreigner Customers - Opening an Account" http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

You'll see that there are several options to verify your identity with Bangkok Bank. A "reference letter" from your embassy is indeed one option. (I don't know of any embassy that would write such a letter!) or a reference from your home bank or a person known to them. I've served as the "person known to them" as reference for several people opening accounts at the Kad Suan Kaew branch since I'm a long-time customer with what they consider to be an acceptably large amount on deposit. The Kad Suan Kaew branch is very foreigner friendly and interested in opening accounts for people who intend to be long-term residents. They especially like the 800,000 baht accounts used to justify retirement visa extensions.

And yes, for many people Bangkok Bank is indeed the best bank to use, esp. for U.S. retirees and others who receive regular payments from the U.S. that they'd like to have direct deposited into their local Thai bank account. Bangkok Bank has a commercial branch in New York City, so you can use the U.S. ACH system to transfer funds as if Bangkok Bank was a U.S.-based bank. It's easy to use internet banking with your U.S. bank to transfer money into your Bangkok Bank account too and avoid expensive wire transfer fees.

No other Thai bank is tied into the U.S. ACH system this way. (ACH is automated clearing house system where use the routing number and account number to direct a funds transfer)

Would you mind elaborating on how you use ACH to transfer funds from a US financial institution to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand? Is this into a Thai Baht account or a US dollar account? Any details on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Would you mind elaborating on how you use ACH to transfer funds from a US financial institution to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand? Is this into a Thai Baht account or a US dollar account? Any details on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

He must be an Aussie. The Bangkok afraid he will rob them one day; so they refuse to open bank account. Hope he goes to K Bank.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

Thanks very much. I like it and will certainly look into it.