Up to You by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

Up to You by The Pattaya Sleuth

john-blog.jpg

It is probably one of the phrases that we hear the most in Thailand and in reality it has so many meanings depending on the situation that it is used in.

I think most of us often associate it with our wives or girlfriends saying when they are less than impressed with something that we have either said or done and basically means “I don’t want you to do that!”

However, I think that we are often guilty of reading too much into what is being said and perhaps what she does actually mean is “up to you, I have no feelings either way, you decide”.

I took notice last week when I was asked by my girlfriend what I wanted to eat. I was busy doing something at the time and I can say hand on heart that I had no preference about what food we were going to have so long as I got something.

Her response however was “No need to be like that, I only asked”, and that got me thinking about how many of us would often respond in the same way.

It is surprising how many times that we say things and they are interpreted differently to how we actually mean them.

This probably does have quite a lot to do with the different cultures but equally I just think that it is human nature and sometimes we are just a little bit more sensitive than we are at other times. We often hear Thais acknowledge what we are saying with a “huhhh” that appears to have no meaning other than an acknowledgement of that we have said something.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/pattaya-sleuth/

inspire-bangkok.jpg
-- Inspire Bangkok 2016-03-27

You don't tell us what you actually said to her about you preference for food. How can we form an opinion about if you were being rude or not? You should have a standard reply for all women (not just Thai) ready for just such a situation. It should go something like this: "Darling your food is always delicious so you can choose this time".

Den

One of the reason they use Up to You is to see if you are a gentleman or a cheap charlie. You ask what to eat or where to eat , for an answer they say up to you. Now if you want to be a cheap charlie so you may say lets have some noodle soup that where they understand your personality