Vaccinations and tablets for dogs

I'm sure this has been dealt with elsewhere but I can't find anything that is specific.

I live in Mahasarakham in Isaan and there have always been dogs in the family since I met my wife. The number varies. Before I returned from the UK there were 14 if I remember correctly including puppies but 1 died a few days before I got there and 3 a few days after despite taking 2 of them to the vet. I'm back in the UK for a couple of months and another puppy has died but I'll be flying out on the 4th April. I'm fighting against culture but more importantly a history of lack of funds for the type of care I'm used to giving. I've made some progress with neutering and another is planned soon but it's the constant deaths that are getting to me.

Having had dogs (either 1 or 2) in the UK distemper and parvo virus are injections the vet gives and not diseases with symptoms. I don't think I'd even seen a tick before I visited Thailand. Worms also seen to be an issue as well.

I've tried getting the wife to ask about injections but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. The vet seems OK and it took a while before we found him. There may be others as the university in the city trains vets. Can anyone tell me what regular injections and tablets are needed and if possible the names in Thai. I'm guessing they're the same as English so Thai script would help. We've been giving Frontline or Contoline for fleas which has improved the coats on the dogs a lot.

One of the problems is that some of the dogs aren't small so I may need to see if I can get the vet to visit.

This is what I got from my friend, hope it helps

Rabies (โรคพิษสุนัขบ้า), distemper (ไข้หัดสุนัข) and parvovirus (ลำไส้อักเสบติดต่อจากเชื้อไวรัสพาร์โว)

If there are any other specific vaccinations you want I can ask

One last follow up, I'm going to post verbatim an email from my friend, which is food for thought...

"What I have concerned is your friend met a licensed vet or not. Because for vaccinations, all licensed veterinarians in Thai are normally familiar with the English names of vaccinations. So, please make sure that your friend meet a qualified vet with license. Otherwise it might be a problem with the pets.
In Thailand, there are some illegal animal doctors or people who try to be a vet"

One last follow up, I'm going to post verbatim an email from my friend, which is food for thought...

"What I have concerned is your friend met a licensed vet or not. Because for vaccinations, all licensed veterinarians in Thai are normally familiar with the English names of vaccinations. So, please make sure that your friend meet a qualified vet with license. Otherwise it might be a problem with the pets.

In Thailand, there are some illegal animal doctors or people who try to be a vet"

Thanks for all that.

Some time ago we did use someone who was a relative of the wife's brother in law who lived in the village. He gave an injection and later turned up with a guy in a suit driving a pickup who apparently was something to do with the Ministry of Agriculture. I've no idea about the suitability of these people. I assume the vet we use now is qualified but to be honest if I saw his certificate I couldn't read it or be sure it wasn't fake. The neutering that he's done seems OK buti can't be sure of course.

The Thai translations should help although as you say they probably use the English names anyway.

Thanks again.

Many vets use a vaccination called Hexadog, which covers rabies, parvovirus, leptospirosis, distemper and presumably two others.

The main problem in Thailand is ticks and tick-borne parasites. There are several threads about these; everybody seems to have a preferred way of dealing with this, but there is no magic bullet. You have to try various things until you find one which seems to work for your dogs.

Regular use of ivermectin, by tablet or injection, should prevent heartworm, and is said to deal with ticks, fleas, mites and lice. (It doesn't, or at least not completely)

Genuine vets will know and supply these vaccines. I agree you may have come across an unqualified one.

I believe there is a vetinerary hospital at Mahasarakham University. Government vetinerary hospitals are both the best quality and lowest price vet care in Thailand. Often long waits, though.

Ticks,(fleas maybe) controlled by injection of Ivermectin once a month,the pills take longer to work ,do not give to pups,builds into dogs resistance,can also bathe in RIDD once a week,leave on ,do not take off.

Parvo and distemper vacs buy at govt vet about 180 baht,at times give rabies for free,buy worming pills there too about 50 baht each

Ivermectin is not safe for long term use. Frontline & constant monitoring for ticks works well. Worryingly in Chiangmai when I lived there, Lyme disease had started to show up in dogs. Not yet sure about Hua Hin where I now live. With 6 dogs it's a perpetual battle!

.3 per 10 kilo ivermectin injection,regularly inject,used to give more but vet talked me down. anyway the RIDD cure ,looked it up on the net Boots developed it, on Wiki ,marvellous stuff one bath a week,well drenching,and keep a spray bottle with it in,give to paws a quick spray now and again,interferes with the ticks nervous system

Ivermectin is not safe for long term use. Frontline & constant monitoring for ticks works well. Worryingly in Chiangmai when I lived there, Lyme disease had started to show up in dogs. Not yet sure about Hua Hin where I now live. With 6 dogs it's a perpetual battle!

Frontline becomes ineffective after a while, and then it becomes a juggling battle to vary, month by month, the anti-tick/flea 'back of the neck' preventative.

Not that any of it helps our dogs much, because it only takes one bite to infect the dog - and the preventative kills them off after the bite... To look on the bright side, it helps reduce the number of ticks around our house/bed though!

Getting back on topic, I used to vaccinate my dogs annually against all the common problems, until I met a dog breeder who was convinced that this was a bad idea for their long term health.

She may have a point, so I give them the normal injections for a couple of years and then stop. But as far as I know, there is no definitive evidence either way.

Heart Guard every month though and Frontline (or other brands), because I'm slightly allergic to the ticks too - and who wants to have ticks crawling over them in bed??! Worryingly, I'm sure the monthly Frontline etc. isn't good for the dogs, but I can't see any way around it.

Frontline becomes ineffective after a while, and then it becomes a juggling battle to vary, month by month, the anti-tick/flea 'back of the neck' preventative.

Not that any of it helps our dogs much, because it only takes one bite to infect the dog - and the preventative kills them off after the bite... To look on the bright side, it helps reduce the number of ticks around our house/bed though!

Getting back on topic, I used to vaccinate my dogs annually against all the common problems, until I met a dog breeder who was convinced that this was a bad idea for their long term health.

She may have a point, so I give them the normal injections for a couple of years and then stop. But as far as I know, there is no definitive evidence either way.

Heart Guard every month though and Frontline (or other brands), because I'm slightly allergic to the ticks too - and who wants to have ticks crawling over them in bed??! Worryingly, I'm sure the monthly Frontline etc. isn't good for the dogs, but I can't see any way around it.

as one member puts it there is no magic bullet.

as our dog spends most of his time indoors,all his sleeping places downstairs and our bed upstairs are sprayed with CHAINGARD contains permethrin.

Archived