Kindle Broke - Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Stubby

Hi Folks,

I've just sat on my Kindle and it feels like I've lost a limb, that's how much I miss it already. Tried to order a new one on Amazon for about $120 and kept getting redirected back to error page saying no deliveries to Thailand. What's that all about; Thailand on some kind of Amazon Black list? I don't fancy paying 8000 THB for one at Airport Plaza because that's not far off double what they go for on Amazon. I don't suppose anyone has got one they want to part with have they? If so, please send me a pvt.

Cheers,

Stubby

Order one from Lazada.

At almost 9,000 that's even more costly than Airport Plaza JaseTheBass. It's over 100 percent the price of Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion though, I hadn't heard for Lazda before.

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

A lot of new, used, and refurbished Kindles on ebay. Most will post to Thailand and include import duties/taxes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R3.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xkindle.TRS0&_nkw=kindle+paperwhite&_sacat=0

Thanks Chickenslegs, I hadn't thought of that. In fact, I've never bought anything on eBay before. I'll take a look ;)

Stubby

Try either of these groups in Chiang Mai. you can look for a Kindle (or ask if anybody has one for sale). The first is a "closed" group but joining is just a matter of a click on a button. The second is an open group so no "joining" necessary. Hope this helps...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2ndhandchiangmai/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/168288853294122/

Edited by JLT

Make sure you're using Amazon's international checkout. I've had a couple shipped over here before and you get redirected at checkout. Trying it now, this is the message that comes up when I choose the shipping address:

This version of Kindle xxxxx cannot be shipped to the selected country. Please visit Amazon.com (intl.) to purchase Amazon devices available for the selected address.

The last part links to a new product page which allows you to purchase. This tells you "This product can be shipped to Thailand."

Edited by KhaoNiaw

We've had this discussion this week already. You can ship a new Kindle from Amazon to Thailand as long as it is not the ad-supported model. You can ship an ad-supported brand new one for less money using a seller on Ebay selling brand new ones. Postage on ebay includes taxes in Thailand. The ad-network doesn't function in Thailand.

Thanks for the feedback everybody, and for the private messages I got.

I contacted Amazon direct. They offered me $20 discount and said they would ship a new Kindle to me in Thailand. The downside is that delivery would take between one and two months (no one could explain the reason for that!). I ordered my now broken Kindle from Thailand a few years back and it only took about eight days to get here, might have even been less.

Anyway, I ended up going onto eBay as suggested. I found a brand new one, boxed, and for less that Amazon even with the $20 discount. The device is already in transit ;) I'll update this thread once I get it to let you guys know how long it took door to door.

Cheers,

Stubby

We've had this discussion this week already. You can ship a new Kindle from Amazon to Thailand as long as it is not the ad-supported model. You can ship an ad-supported brand new one for less money using a seller on Ebay selling brand new ones. Postage on ebay includes taxes in Thailand. The ad-network doesn't function in Thailand.

what is meant by "ad supported" brand. I have a kindle (as does my daughter) and both show book ads every time we turn it off. The ads change regularly, so i just assume it is doing it thru the wi-fi connection.

is there some other ad based system that i am successfully avoiding?

what is meant by "ad supported" brand. I have a kindle (as does my daughter) and both show book ads every time we turn it off. The ads change regularly, so i just assume it is doing it thru the wi-fi connection.

is there some other ad based system that i am successfully avoiding?

There is a substantial discount for an "ad-supported" model compared to an "ad-free" one. Amazon doesn't send the adverts via Wi-Fi but rather by 3G (which can't be switched off...) I had the ad-supported one until about 3 weeks ago and never received a single advert on it. Then it was nicked in Cambodia and I bought an ad-free one in Cambodia from a shop (no import taxes in Cambodia - paid $10 more than on Amazon for it but got it in exactly 30 seconds after asking for it). No difference at all in the experience with either.

The special offers are the books you see for sale on the screensaver and at the bottom of your homepage. Cancelling special offers means you get a screensaver from Amazon that is a patterned design, nothing on the home page and you don't have to swipe after powering on to get to the home page.

Special offers are sent to the Kindle on wifi as well as 3G.

It's not that big a difference but it's nice not to have it.

Customs and duties.

Things are more expensive because they are "imported". (Naturally).

If it was as simple as ordering one at half price in the States and have it shipped here, they may hold the package until you pay the duties.

I would try to find somebody who is making a trip over to Thailand (that you know) and have them pick you up one. Just have them take it out of the box and unwrap it. (personal use).

Stubby if you are still looking for a Kindle -

I have just 1 Kindle Paper White available latest version sealed in the original factory box just arrived today 4/4/16 from the USA all duty and tax paid 5500 baht includes Kindle cover and screen saver. If you want it contact me ASAP

Stubby if you are still looking for a Kindle -

I have just 1 Kindle Paper White available latest version sealed in the original factory box just arrived today 4/4/16 from the USA all duty and tax paid 5500 baht includes Kindle cover and screen saver. If you want it contact me ASAP

Where were you when I needed you LOL smile.png Thanks for the offer. I would have snatched your hand off just a week ago, but I have my new Kindle now. That's why I'm here, to update the thread.

It arrived from eBay and took just six days door to door (I think that's right). Amazon told me it would take between one and two months if I ordered if from them. I still don't understand what that's all about. The only problem was that my new Kindle Paper White (which is beautiful) arrived in Spanish by default. That meant I couldn't navigate it to change settings or register it in place of my old broken one. No big deal, I just logged on to Amazon Chat and someone talked me through it in about 15 minutes.

So that's an end to that. eBay, fast competitive and perfect tracking. In fact, I even got an email this afternoon to tell me it had arrive at the condo and who signed for in in the JO. How's that for service.

Stubby (Happy Camper smile.png)

Edited by Stubby