police raids on bars

wolvesfc

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Songkran is in the middle of next month.

But why worry over police checking bars? As long as you're not in violation of Thai laws, it's nothing more than a 5-minute inconvenience.

The problem isn't the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.

But why worry over police checking bars? As long as you're not in violation of Thai laws, it's nothing more than a 5-minute inconvenience.

Would have to respectfully disagree.

Whilst you are right it can simply be an inconvenience as I don't carry a passport; also know many who don't routinely carry the passport. This can cause hassle if the police want to see your passport of course.

Whilst you are right it can simply be an inconvenience as I don't carry a passport; also know many who don't routinely carry the passport. This can cause hassle if the police want to see your passport of course.

You're not disagreeing at all. In fact, you are stating that you routinely violate Thai law. Carrying your passport, or a copy there of, is a requirement of Thai law. A folded sheet of A6 paper takes up no more room in your pocket than some bank notes. As I said, as long as you're not in violation of Thai laws, it's nothing more than a 5-minute inconvenience.

You're not disagreeing at all. In fact, you are stating that you routinely violate Thai law. Carrying your passport, or a copy there of, is a requirement of Thai law. A folded sheet of A6 paper takes up no more room in your pocket than some bank notes. As I said, as long as you're not in violation of Thai laws, it's nothing more than a 5-minute inconvenience.

JannerBoy didn't state that he was violating Thai laws at all.

He just said that he doesn't carry his passport. Maybe he has a photocopy. He didn't say.

Is there a Thai law that requires foreigners to carry their passports when out and about?

This topic has been done to death and nobody has ever been able to find a law on the books to prove their point. Can you?

The situation here is characterized by a lack of clearly defined laws. There are a lot of gray areas that make harassment and shakedowns all too easy for cops who should be enforcing the laws that really matter.

Well.... with a rumor like this floating around I'd guess the best thing one can do if they are going to a bar is: be prepared for a police raid.

It is not like the police have just started these kinds of activities in recent times. They have been conducting raids for various reasons for a very, very long time.

My Thai driving licence has been enough identification so far .On it is stated my Passport number .

Yes, it's a legal form of identification as it is a picture ID. However police is checking for validity of your visa or whatever you have and there is no possible linkage between your driver license and that.

My Thai driving licence has been enough identification so far .On it is stated my Passport number .

Yes, it's a legal form of identification as it is a picture ID. However police is checking for validity of your visa or whatever you have and there is no possible linkage between your driver license and that.

Well, your passport number links to your arrival record and everything else.

So by plugging it into their incredible online systems they'd quickly see if you're on overstay; better actually than some grainy photocopy.

It's not an exact science though.. police can and do make up the rules on the spot.

Still, with both a driver's license and passport copy you'd have to be very unlucky indeed for them to hassle you.

It is not like the police have just started these kinds of activities in recent times. They have been conducting raids for various reasons for a very, very long time.

Previously, the Thai police raids were aimed at hassling bar owners, recently the Thai police have changed to hassling foreign customers of bars.

It's a significant change in their bribe collecting.

Haven't seen any reports of someone being detained for showing the driver license instead of the passport. So may still be ok for the BiB, even though not good anymore for national parks and other cultural rip offs....aehhh....highlights smile.png

Edited by MadMac

Well, your passport number links to your arrival record and everything else.

So by plugging it into their incredible online systems they'd quickly see if you're on overstay; better actually than some grainy photocopy.

It's not an exact science though.. police can and do make up the rules on the spot.

Still, with both a driver's license and passport copy you'd have to be very unlucky indeed for them to hassle you.

so you reckon the bib are carrying sophisticated identification systems with them now, Big brother come to los.

so you reckon the bib are carrying sophisticated identification systems with them now, Big brother come to los.

They just released it online for the southern half of the Kingdom. So yes, everybody can have your details...

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/03/apparent-data-leak-leaves-foreigners-in-southern-thailand-anxious/

I was out and about last night and I didnt see any Police activity at all .

I walked from Zoe to the Night bazaar . via Loi Kroh at about 10 PM and didnt see any Police at all , hardly saw any foreigners either, as most of the bars were empty

Laurie Simmons a foreign volunteer at the Muang Police Station spoke at the CM Expats Club meeting this past Saturday, 26 March. In response to the question of whether we need to carry our passports and whether a Thai Driver License serves as a good replacement, he said that in the case of the recent police raid at Zoe In Yellow and at Spicy's the next night, Thai Drivers Licenses were not acceptable because they do not prove current visa status. Nor is a copy of just the photo page of the passport acceptable.

He said that all foreigners who either produced their passport or a copy of their passport photo page AND pages that documented their visa, entry stamps, permission to stay, 90 day report (if needed) etc were not detained. It was acceptable to show officers images from a mobile phone. Those who could not provide this documentation were taken to the police station and held until they were able to provide their passports.

So apparently, they don't have the ability to "look up" your details just by using the info on your TDL.

That's excellent.

Not a very good way of confirming anything of course.. thumbsup.gif

Previously, the Thai police raids were aimed at hassling bar owners, recently the Thai police have changed to hassling foreign customers of bars.
It's a significant change in their bribe collecting.

Bar owners are MUCH easier to extract money from.

Getting money from tourists is like squeezing water from a rock, plus they're much less likely to be discreet about it.

I can't see this catching on; it'd be far too much like 'work'.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

That's excellent.

Because super easy to forge. thumbsup.gif

Yes, I'd wondered about that myself. In my assistance of older expats who find themselves with medical problems and inability to pay their hospital bill, I've run into several old guys who have deliberately defaced entries in their passports. Not that difficult to spot, but I guess it looks more credible in a copy.

JannerBoy didn't state that he was violating Thai laws at all.

He just said that he doesn't carry his passport. Maybe he has a photocopy. He didn't say.

Gosh! You are absolutely correct! In fact, he might not even NEED to carry his passport or copy as he didn't say he was even IN Thailand!

I'll have to be more careful how I respond to some people.

Is there a Thai law that requires foreigners to carry their passports when out and about?

This topic has been done to death and nobody has ever been able to find a law on the books to prove their point. Can you?

Nope. But then, I don't need to.

The head of the police has stated that we need to carry the passport or a copy of it. That's good enough for me. I don't need the drama.

Whether it's actually "on the books" or not is quite irrelevant to me. I don't wish to be detained, legally OR illegally so I'll carry it and have no hassle about it in my life. You have the choice to either do the same or not. That's entirely up to you. No one can force you to do anything you don't want to do regarding this "possible" rule. But you WILL be held accountable... either legally or illegally.

Fair or not fair. Legal or not legal. Being a sheep or being a rebel... It makes no difference what words you choose to use. You WILL be held accountable.

The OP is:

"was told by my friend police checking bars tonight was this right is it because of songkran"

Nothing about passport checks, and nothing more from the poster, who appears to be new to this forum. It also doesn't say where these checks took place; police checks of Thai ID's to find underage drinkers are common in the Nimmanhamin area. Is it possible people are getting excited over nothing?

WOW GET A LIFE dude the point is the Police are harrasing bar owners and patrons on AN ONGOING basis few weeks ago 100 Sub machine gun armed police and army swooped on Zoe Yellow AND FOUND NOTHING after harrsing people for more than 1 hour illegally detaining piss testing people and checking passports now that is not a 5 minute inconveneince get off your high horse and have a drink <deleted>

The problem is that this is yet another unsubstantiated second (or third) hand report perfect for getting TV readers & posters in a lather...

Mods????

i was told by a lady that works at the dragonfly bar police were checking the girls id cards one of them was from maymar and had no thai id card and the owner had to pay them off

WOW GET A LIFE dude the point is the Police are harrasing bar owners and patrons on AN ONGOING basis few weeks ago 100 Sub machine gun armed police and army swooped on Zoe Yellow AND FOUND NOTHING after harrsing people for more than 1 hour illegally detaining piss testing people and checking passports now that is not a 5 minute inconveneince get off your high horse and have a drink <deleted>

Dude? How old are you? ROTFL!

Let's clarify a few points. It wasn't "100 Sub machine gun armed police and army." There was one guy with an automatic weapon. The rest had their usual sidearms only. I realize that doesn't feed your fantasy, but that's the facts.

Next, there was nothing illegal about their checking people's ID. As for 'getting a life...' LOL! I have one, and it's never been inconvenienced by police for more than a few minutes at a time. Sorry that your life is so difficult that you have to get upset about a routine ID check.

As I said before, the problem isn't the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.

Edited by FolkGuitar

It was just one Policeman with a rifle and 100 of them were necessary because of the size of the Zoe in Yellow complex .

Only a few known drug users were made to take urine tests .

In a few weeks time, this raid will be known as the "Zoe in Yellow massacre" where the Thai Army 5 th division arrived in tanks and opened fire on anything that moved :)