police raids on bars

wolvesfc

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compo's story is an interesting read and, as FolkGuitar says, "speaks for itself". Had be been carrying his DL on his person, along with copies of the relevant pages of his passport, the situation may have turned out differently. Admittedly, it's easy to see how his wallet could have been in the car since he and his wife were travelling together in separate vehicles, but still.......

Several times, in the U.S., Hubby and I did cross-country moves driving separate vehicles and we each carried our own wallets. Good thing. One trip, we became separated (before the days of mobile phones) and since Hubby didn't know the phone numbers of relatives or co-workers we didn't see each other for two days. After a bit of panic when I realized I'd been following the wrong red car across half of Louisiana (he never would stay close enough for me to see the license plates), I simply gave up trying to find him and just continued on the trip by myself, until I pulled into our new home and found him in the driveway with the van from the moving company.

Here in Thailand, when a card game gets raided it's front page stuff that merits 15 pages of comments.

The Police are not going to pass up the chance to show that they are on top of things. Raids get reported... often before they even happen.

So why didn't this one, as you make it seem as if it's a regular Saturday night event? Certainly if it happened OFTEN we'd hear about it OFTEN. In Chiang Mai, if it happens ONCE, we hear about it often...

I've been present twice at card games in CM that were raided, everyone rounded up and taken to the police station.

Held or bailed and then in court the next day, I wasn't included because I don't play cards, they just collected the people at the table.

Neither event was ever reported anywhere in the news. I assumed it's so common that it wasn't newsworthy.

As I've only ever been to about 10 games, I can't really comment on the frequency of the raids.

Are you suggesting that bars in your home country never get raided by police checking ID's, looking for under-age drinkers?

Although a 'city' by definition, Chiang Mai is a small town by size, and even smaller by expat population, and so anything that happens in one of its famous bars gets talked about by the expats. There aren't 5,000 bars and clubs that exist in NYC, L.A., London, or Sidney. There are really only a handful of "well known' bars and clubs, so anything that happens in one of them makes big news.

The sky really isn't falling...

Yes I am... there is NO requirement in my country to carry ID as it is considered an infringement of civil liberty as in the USA I am quite shocked that you support this kind of harassment as normally I like your posts

Sorry, I didn't see your post or I would have responded.

First, where do I say that I SUPPORT this sort of behavior? Stop making up things just to justify your responses.

In the US, the police have every right to request to see ID, just as you have every right to refuse to show it.

However... if they have 'probably cause,' and you refuse to show ID, the police have every right to detain you and hold you for questioning.

Second, have you heard of the new 'Passport Act?" (Not the one from 1967) It's a law that's been going around Congress for the past four years, requiring everyone traveling from one state to another to show a Passport. The new "Passport Card" was designed with this in mind, and to date, over 4,000,000 of them have been issued. Originally, when first designed, the card's 'claimed' use was to be an ID used for crossing Canadian and Mexican borders, since a birth certificate or driver's license was no longer valid for such travel, and travel to the Bahamas as well. Small card, credit card sized, so people wouldn't need to carry a large passport. Then some folks put forth the idea that making it required for interstate travel would be safer in these terrorist times, and drew up this new law. So far, it's been defeated each time it comes up for a vote, but all it will take will be one major terrorist action on US soil for it to zip right through. In recent years, people have been very willing to give up civil liberties in favor of what they 'believe' to be safety. Just think how many civil liberties the "Patriot Act" removed...

Edited by FolkGuitar

Songkran is in the middle of next month.

But why worry over police checking bars? As long as you're not in violation of Thai laws, it's nothing more than a 5-minute inconvenience.

The problem isn't the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.

Would have to respectfully disagree.

Whilst you are right it can simply be an inconvenience as I don't carry a passport; also know many who don't routinely carry the passport. This can cause hassle if the police want to see your passport of course.

Carry recent copies of all pertinent passport pages. I also keep a copy of my housebook, and my Thai DL which has my address that matches my housebook. Dust off your Thai speaking skills. Be polite. The last time I was stopped by the BIB, as soon as started speaking Thai and he figured out I have been living here for years, he gave me a "Mai Bpen Rai" and waved me along before I could pull out my paperwork. I smiled, thanked him, and off I went. I also normally wear slacks, shirt, and shoes. If your covered in tats, body piercings, have long-hair, and a bone though your nose, your mileage may vary. Lol. <puut len>

But why worry over police checking bars? As long as you're not in violation of Thai laws, it's nothing more than a 5-minute inconvenience.

Whilst you are right it can simply be an inconvenience as I don't carry a passport; also know many who don't routinely carry the passport. This can cause hassle if the police want to see your passport of course.

Carry recent copies of all pertinent passport pages. I also keep a copy of my housebook, and my Thai DL which has my address that matches my housebook. Dust off your Thai speaking skills. Be polite. The last time I was stopped by the BIB, as soon as started speaking Thai and he figured out I have been living here for years, he gave me a "Mai Bpen Rai" and waved me along before I could pull out my paperwork. I smiled, thanked him, and off I went. I also normally wear slacks, shirt, and shoes. If your covered in tats, body piercings, have long-hair, and a bone though your nose, your mileage may vary. Lol. <puut len>

There is no percentage in arguing with those in power when in violation of the rules, and the rules are quite clear. It's what ever those in power say they are. Period. You are not required to like it. You are just required to live with it or face the consequences. Your choice. There are no other options if you wish to remain here. Live in peace, or live in a constant battle. You get to choose.

There is no percentage in arguing with those in power when in violation of the rules, and the rules are quite clear. It's what ever those in power say they are. Period. You are not required to like it. You are just required to live with it or face the consequences. Your choice. There are no other options if you wish to remain here. Live in peace, or live in a constant battle. You get to choose.

Follow the rules regardless by those that are set by an unrepresentative authority.

Guess your not a big fan of Mahatma Gandhi, D Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela, some North American colonials, etc etc.

By all means comply...but to do so willingly in full acceptance diminishes us all, Thai included. I accept that there are limits that can be done, but the alternative is not automatically to embrace the current regime and its rules, to live in peace as it were, as acceptable.

You can only turn a blind eye to injustices for so long......unless North Korean melodramas is not the only ideal the dear leader would like us to embrace.

Edited by mamborobert

In other words the rules are not clear, so you do not know what you have to live with.

In other words the rules are not clear, so you do not know what you have to live with.

That is absolutely correct. But.....

You have heard dozens of times what the police expect when they stop you, be it at a road block or in a bar.

It's easy enough to comply with 99.99% of those expectations without undue strain... if you want to.

Some people always seem to have trouble, while other people never do. You might want to ask yourself why.

Follow the rules regardless by those that are set by an unrepresentative authority.

Guess your not a big fan of Mahatma Gandhi, D Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela, some North American colonials, etc etc.

By all means comply...but to do so willingly in full acceptance diminishes us all, Thai included. I accept that there are limits that can be done, but the alternative is not automatically to embrace the current regime and its rules, to live in peace as it were, as acceptable.

You can only turn a blind eye to injustices for so long......unless North Korean melodramas is not the only ideal the dear leader would like us to embrace.

You are more than welcome to take up what ever cause you wish to fight. I wish you all the success you need.

I did my fighting already. I have nothing to prove. Now I just want to live in peace. If that means showing a policeman my driver's license, I'll do it. If that means complying with the regulation that states I must have my Passport (or copy there of) with me, hey... it's just another card in my wallet. Hardly worth the effort to discuss it. That been the extent of "injustice" that I've experienced in the past 15 years.

You remind me of the character played by Jack Lemmon in the movie "Mr.Roberts." If you're not familiar with it, his character, Ensign Pulver, kept hiding in the shadows while pretending to 'make a statement' against the ship's captain. He never had the courage to actually stand up and acknowledge his actions, just kept 'throwing rocks from behind trees,' so to speak.

You talk of Gandhi, King, Parks, etc., etc., but THEY DID SOMETHING. You don't. You just stand behind a tree throwing rocks, and not even doing it with your own name. Please go peddle your rhetoric somewhere else, until you show the balls to step out from behind the tree.

You are more than welcome to take up what ever cause you wish to fight. I wish you all the success you need.

I did my fighting already. I have nothing to prove. Now I just want to live in peace. If that means showing a policeman my driver's license, I'll do it. If that means complying with the regulation that states I must have my Passport (or copy there of) with me, hey... it's just another card in my wallet. Hardly worth the effort to discuss it. That been the extent of "injustice" that I've experienced in the past 15 years.

You remind me of the character played by Jack Lemmon in the movie "Mr.Roberts." If you're not familiar with it, his character, Ensign Pulver, kept hiding in the shadows while pretending to 'make a statement' against the ship's captain. He never had the courage to actually stand up and acknowledge his actions, just kept 'throwing rocks from behind trees,' so to speak.

You talk of Gandhi, King, Parks, etc., etc., but THEY DID SOMETHING. You don't. You just stand behind a tree throwing rocks, and not even doing it with your own name. Please go peddle your rhetoric somewhere else, until you show the balls to step out from behind the tree.

" You just stand behind a tree throwing rocks, and not even doing it with your own name "

how can anyone realistically do anything otherwise at this point in time with the threat of being summoned for " attitude adjustment "?blink.png

Are you suggesting that bars in your home country never get raided by police checking ID's, looking for under-age drinkers?

Although a 'city' by definition, Chiang Mai is a small town by size, and even smaller by expat population, and so anything that happens in one of its famous bars gets talked about by the expats. There aren't 5,000 bars and clubs that exist in NYC, L.A., London, or Sidney. There are really only a handful of "well known' bars and clubs, so anything that happens in one of them makes big news.

The sky really isn't falling...

Yes I am... there is NO requirement in my country to carry ID as it is considered an infringement of civil liberty as in the USA I am quite shocked that you support this kind of harassment as normally I like your posts

Sorry, I didn't see your post or I would have responded.

First, where do I say that I SUPPORT this sort of behavior? Stop making up things just to justify your responses.

In the US, the police have every right to request to see ID, just as you have every right to refuse to show it.

However... if they have 'probably cause,' and you refuse to show ID, the police have every right to detain you and hold you for questioning.

Second, have you heard of the new 'Passport Act?" (Not the one from 1967) It's a law that's been going around Congress for the past four years, requiring everyone traveling from one state to another to show a Passport. The new "Passport Card" was designed with this in mind, and to date, over 4,000,000 of them have been issued. Originally, when first designed, the card's 'claimed' use was to be an ID used for crossing Canadian and Mexican borders, since a birth certificate or driver's license was no longer valid for such travel, and travel to the Bahamas as well. Small card, credit card sized, so people wouldn't need to carry a large passport. Then some folks put forth the idea that making it required for interstate travel would be safer in these terrorist times, and drew up this new law. So far, it's been defeated each time it comes up for a vote, but all it will take will be one major terrorist action on US soil for it to zip right through. In recent years, people have been very willing to give up civil liberties in favor of what they 'believe' to be safety. Just think how many civil liberties the "Patriot Act" removed...

glad you agree... no 'requirement' in US or Europe to carry it as here

Yes, different Countries have different rules and regulations

Some Countries in this World require you to carry identification on your person at all times, other Countries do not require you to carry identification on you at all times .

Thailand is a Country that requires you to carry dentifivation around with you at all times

Some Countries in this World require you to carry identification on your person at all times, other Countries do not require you to carry identification on you at all times .

Thailand is a Country that requires you to carry dentifivation around with you at all times

yes you're right there are certain 'kinds' of countries that require it and we all know what they are

Yes,

Totalitarian governments all over the world always require everyone to carry ID.

Today was in two bars that had police come in. Both bars with a party going on. Music off, some negotiations, then they were on their way again and things got going again.

Utter low-lifes.

That's why your wife drives the car :)

" You just stand behind a tree throwing rocks, and not even doing it with your own name "

how can anyone realistically do anything otherwise at this point in time with the threat of being summoned for " attitude adjustment "?blink.png

As you can see from the quoted text, MamboRobert tried to say that I did not live up to the standards of Gandhi, D Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Aung San Suu Kyi, or Nelson Mandela, and by extension, that he did.

In fact, he went so far as to say that 'compliance with Thai laws willingly and in full acceptance diminishes us all, Thai included.' He makes speeches under an anonymous name in a small local forum...

That is hardly what Gandhi, D Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Aung San Suu Kyi, and Nelson Mandela did! They had a grievance and they spoke out, using their own names despite the serious consequences. But all he does is post under an anonymous name and throw rocks from behind a tree. Guess your not a big fan of Mahatma Gandhi, D Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela, either eh?

Now you say "how can anyone realistically do anything otherwise at this point in time with the threat of being summoned for " attitude adjustment "? And yet...

That is exactly what Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Aung San Suu Kyi, and Nelson Mandela did! They stood up for their beliefs, spoke them out loud despite the threat of "attitude adjustment." They believed in what they were saying. They said it loudly and often and in their own name. They were ALL threatened. They were ALL summoned. They were ALL incarcerated for speaking out. But they all believed...

Yes, there is the specter of retaliation for your actions. But if you are going to call someone out for following rules with which you disagree, and then say that they are not living up to the standards of Gandhi, D Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Aung San Suu Kyi, and Nelson Mandela, at least have the courage to live up to those standards yourself.

... and not just hide behind a tree and throw rocks.

If you have a grievance and believe something should be done about it, have the courage to say so publicly. Don't just hide and throw rocks.

Me? I don't have any grievances. I carry my driver's license and my passport copy, and have never met with any injustice from the authorities. If I ever do, perhaps my viewpoint will change. But it's been 15 years so far, and nothing has changed except the names of the players.

Edited by FolkGuitar

Yes,

Totalitarian governments all over the world always require everyone to carry ID.

Yes, they do. But so do dozens of other countries.

Since when did Germany become a Totalitarian government. I didn't get the memo.

... and Luxembourg, South Korea, Malaysia, Israel, Indonesia, Greece, Belgium, Argentina, ..... excuse me, but the list goes on and on.

Next elections coming, probably we get a Sultan. Which is actually cool....can fly on carpets and all these magical things....

You're not disagreeing at all. In fact, you are stating that you routinely violate Thai law. Carrying your passport, or a copy there of, is a requirement of Thai law. A folded sheet of A6 paper takes up no more room in your pocket than some bank notes. As I said, as long as you're not in violation of Thai laws, it's nothing more than a 5-minute inconvenience.

whilst I also don't worry much and just carry my passport when I go out, it is usually a bit more than 5min inconvenience. It takes about 20-30 min to check all guests, lights are on, music out, party kind of over. Nothing I can do about and I just get on with it, but just saying...

... and Luxembourg, South Korea, Malaysia, Israel, Indonesia, Greece, Belgium, Argentina, ..... excuse me, but the list goes on and on.

Most of those countries have been on a constant war footing since WW2, hardly bastions of democracy and equality.

South Korea, West Germany, Israel, Argentina, Indonesia.

Police (or army) states in effect.

Most of those countries have been on a constant war footing since WW2, hardly bastions of democracy and equality.

South Korea, West Germany, Israel, Argentina, Indonesia.

Police (or army) states in effect.

You are the one who called them Totalitarian governments. Please make up your mind.

And then explain just how Belgium is a Police State. Or Luxembourg....

This should be interesting. Or at least laughable.

I can continue your list with Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland. Though the irony is you can lose your passport and yell asylum at the police, and they'll just have to take your word for it.bah.gif

Edited by jabis

Are you saying democracies cannot be on a constant war footing. How should a democracy with North Korea for a neighbor go about defending itself? You're statement makes no sense.

I really think it boils down to the fact that if Thailand was such a harsh country in which to live, we wouldn't be living here.

We all have that choice.

ah the old "don't like it go home" comment

How is it that you see so much negative in a positive statement?

I said NOTHING about not liking it. I said NOTHING about 'go home.'

What I DID say, and that you completely missed, was 'living in Thailand is not harsh.'

Why did you ignore that?

I guess Anais Nin was correct when she said; "We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are,"

Folk Guitar says: I don't have any grievances. I carry my driver's license and my passport copy, and have never met with any injustice from the authorities. If I ever do, perhaps my viewpoint will change.

Three Years ago, I had such an awaking. Yes, I have been in raids in Night Clubs years ago down South but I just went "Meh, that is the police doing there job." I have been searched several times at night coming home and about 5 months ago when in Santitham. the drug squad was raiding every car at a set check point near M&D. We had our car pulled to pieces as well but we just said 'Mai Bpen Rai" as they were also doing their job. We had nothing to hide, so why worry, but after a incident three years prior, I just trust no one.

My partner (Three years ago) was involved in a road accident and then after what we went through over a 72 hour period was just of pure torture. The person who hit her was 100% in the wrong, riding a bike at high speed up the wrong way of the road and was rotten drunk. It just had to happen that this guy was well connected within the village to a very wealthy family. The blame fell squarely onto her lap. She was just driving home from work at 10pm and was in the wrong place at the wrong time and just had the wrong person hitting her. It was his word against her and you can guess who won out. She spent 24 hours in a cell and when I went to collect her, she was a mess and just said we were in a mess as the guys family is powerful. She was smart enough to take photos of the incident after it happened from all angles and it was those photos that saved our ass.

I will never forget this time of our lives. Every time I get pulled up by the Police now, I just smile and give them what they want but deep down I know it is not all as it seems.