BIVS from british embassy

Hello, was wondering does the British embassy in bangkok issue BIVS (British Irish Visa Scheme) multi entries. Need a visa to do both parts of ireland & will be travelling back & forth a few times. So if we land in Belfast a UK visa (BIVS) should do for travelling around all ireland???? Cannot see it as an option when applying or are all uk visas automatically BIVS, cheers

The BIVS is indeed only available to Indian and Chinese nationals.

However there is another scheme called the Irish Short Stay Visa Waiver Programme which allows certain nationalities, including Thai, who are holders of certain categories of Short Stay “C” UK visas to travel to Ireland, within the time remaining on their current leave to remain in the UK, without the requirement to obtain an Irish visa.

Like the BIVS scheme available to Chinese and Indians it isn't a specific visa, it just allows holders of certain UK Short Stay Visas to visit Ireland during the validity of their UK Visa.

Information Note - Visa Waiver Programme October 2014.pdf

The thing is, if you're in Northern Ireland there's no border check point to go through if you want to travel to the Republic of Ireland. In fact, the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is barely discernible; you might notice the speed limit signs change from MPH to KPH.

Are you supposed to voluntarily present yourself to the authorities - wherever they may be? I don't know.

And likewise, when you return from the Republic to Northern Ireland there's no immigration to go through.

I suppose there's some sort of a miniscule risk involved - but it's difficult to imagine anyone falling foul.

The thing is, if you're in Northern Ireland there's no border check point to go through if you want to travel to the Republic of Ireland. In fact, the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is barely discernible; you might notice the speed limit signs change from MPH to KPH.

Are you supposed to voluntarily present yourself to the authorities - wherever they may be? I don't know.
And likewise, when you return from the Republic to Northern Ireland there's no immigration to go through.
I suppose there's some sort of a miniscule risk involved - but it's difficult to imagine anyone falling foul.

Or you could reduce the miniscule risk and use the proper, pain free, method.

Or you could reduce the miniscule risk and use the proper, pain free, method.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not advocating travelling across borders without the required visa. I wouldn't do it myself.

It just seems to be a bit of a joke in this case where there is no border crossing checkpoint or any immigration personnel whatsoever to check passports, visas or whatever.

I had the attached from the Visa Office in Dublin about 18 months ago. I don't think anything's changed.

My original question is on p.4 - the categories of UK short-stay visa listed as eligible didn't include my wife's category - 'Family Visit'. I wanted to confirm that this description was acceptable - a nit-picking question, perhaps, but I wanted to be clear. All was OK.

Thank you for your enquiry.pdf

Edited by MartinL

Thanks for all the replies. I know an irish visa would probably do, but there is always a chance, a garda come onto the dublin-belfast bus once and checked passports. So basically when applying for a Short Stay “C” UK visa - visit family, there is no need to mention visiting southern Ireland and the visa should let us legally enter there.

<snip>

I know an irish visa would probably do

An Irish visa will not allow her into any part of the UK; including Northern Ireland.

As you say in the OP that you will be landing in Belfast she needs a UK standard visit visa; assuming that Northern Ireland is your first destination.

This will allow her entry into the Republic, provided she enters from the UK and doesn't simply transit airside at Belfast without passing through UK immigration.

Once she has entered the UK she can travel back and forth between the UK and RoI as often as she wishes while the visa remains valid, provided her UK visit visa is multi entry, which it will be; but she can only spend a maximum of 90 days per visit in the Republic.

If she is entering the Republic first she will need both an Irish and, if you want to travel to the North, a UK visa.

So basically when applying for a Short Stay “C” UK visa - visit family, there is no need to mention visiting southern Ireland and the visa should let us legally enter there.

Correct.