Vast trove of travelers' personal info posted on govt website

webfact

Vast Trove of Travelers' Personal Info Posted on Govt Website
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14592301091459230749l.jpg
A screenshot of the database with names, passport numbers and residence addresses blurred.

BANGKOK — Sensitive information of tens of thousands of foreign travelers, including their real names and passport numbers, was publicly available on a government website until it was taken down yesterday in response to publicity.

Operated by the Bureau of General Communicable Diseases, the website displayed records of foreign travelers who passed through health checkpoints at Thai border controls, both air and land.

1459230599_AIRPORTLEAKS-File.jpg
A screenshot of the database with names, passport numbers and residence addresses blurred.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1459230109

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-03-29

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who from the UK stayed in Nana hotel?? You're lucky they blurred your name!

I heard it's great in there especially the quick rooms for the desperadoes with only a sheet on the bed for a meaningful adorable special wonderful jaw dropping 15 seconds of adulterous hell. Yeah' I was that soldier !!!

what is really disgusting is the lack of ANY follow up to both yesterdays AND now this revelation …I guess as foreigners in this place we still continue to be of NO concern and have No rights over our personal information……I guess the urgency to register all passports for SIM numbers is now going to be revealed as the total waste of time many on here said at the time ...bah.gif

Twitter, face book, linkedin, the iPhone

nothing is secure,

expecting any different from banks ,hospitals

immigration and the multitudes of other holders of personal information.

all are accessable , not hearing about the breaches is a sad fact,

this one we did.

Get any A4-sized form from Phuket immigration office and the chances are that on the back of it is someone else's passport, visa or bank information.

This is getting bigger than a few outraged expats. If the various ambassadors to Thailand don't adress this then they're not doing their jobs.

glad to see TV took my comment about this being a story into itself to heart. smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/906324-personal-details-of-hundreds-of-foreigners-in-thailand-leaked-online/?p=10579747

thanks to "brfsa2" for the original link! smile.png

"Sensitive information of tens of thousands of foreign travelers, including their real names and passport numbers, was publicly available on a government website until it was taken down yesterday in response to publicity."

they removed the name and passport columns from the website.

Edited by NCC1701A

Get any A4-sized form from Phuket immigration office and the chances are that on the back of it is someone else's passport, visa or bank information.

This is getting bigger than a few outraged expats. If the various ambassadors to Thailand don't adress this then they're not doing their jobs.

When did they do any kind of job ?

Seems like nobody has any chance of protecting themselves from all of these leaks out of Thailand. Why don't they just send a list to ISIS and make them pay for it instead? Then they can sell us expats the bullseye to wear.

post-141778-0-84597300-1459240045_thumb.

....complete and utter lack of respect....and zero professionalism...

...amongst everything else.....nothing says..... 'they couldn't care less about us'....more than this...

...and as for all their..... 'crack downs on passports'....and national security and terrorists..etc......may as well throw that out the window....

...they just opened the floodgates......

...and of course...nobody is responsible or to blame....

...amongst everything else.....nothing says..... 'they couldn't care less about us'....more than this...

...and as for all their..... 'crack downs on passports'....and national security and terrorists..etc......may as well throw that out the window....

The response of a Drama Queen who like to ignore the loss of data that occurs regularly in the West !

http://www.techworld.com/security/uks-11-most-infamous-data-breaches-2015-3604586/

Have a read then have a rant about the "complete and utter lack of respect....and zero professionalism..." that is commonplace in the UK and the USA.

Third world, and always will be!

Been coming here since 1993 and now live here full-time. There is no place I've ever lived, worked or visited that satisfied "everyone's" idea of perfection. I can't tell the future, therefore I can't comment on the "always", which seems not to happened yet.

If I am not happy, I can always move on.

The response of a Drama Queen who like to ignore the loss of data that occurs regularly in the West !

http://www.techworld.com/security/uks-11-most-infamous-data-breaches-2015-3604586/

Have a read then have a rant about the "complete and utter lack of respect....and zero professionalism..." that is commonplace in the UK and the USA.

1. Pointing out that something happens elsewhere isn't an argument. It's unprofessional everywhere.

2. Your comparison fails even harder because this wasn't a loss of data, or a leak, the data was deliberately placed online and then public officials dismiss it as 'only a demo' or lie that 'there was nothing on there'. In the West there'd be investigations, apologies, and heavy penalties. Indeed that link of yours talks about fines of up to a quarter of a million pounds being handed out.