Anyone can comment 3BB VDSL Internet?

gessi2000

Amazing!

Amazing as in good? or amazing how speedtest distorts the results? This is a screen snip of a torrent download, very happy with the speed.
I'm sure you know this, but just to point out that the torrent speed in your screenshot of 5.3MB/s is equivalent to about 37Mb/s which is the scale that the speedtest site uses.

MB/s x 7 = Mb/s

I have 3bb fibre also and it's excellent.

Torrent can be throttled by ISPs very very easily. Also, it doesn't mean you will max out your line when you download a torrent, especially if you are using wireless 2.4ghz connection (multiple connections via wifi degrades connection quality).

Some torrents (fresh ones) has more seeders and some others not. I recommend getting a cheap vps / seedbox in europe (because everybody in Europe loves torrent lol) and download directly from your seedbox / vps (via http) if you're into downloading stuff a lot.

I've personally never seen any evidence of throttling torrents with 3BB.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another fan of 3bb 100/10 fiber .. Just ran usenet download ... 11.7 - 12.5 MB. Download by ftp from my seedbox in finland ... Around 8MB. Wifi to second floor ... 42Mb.

Add a 5ghz wireless ac router and get 100mbit on second floor via wifi too!

I bought asus ac56u rom ebay last year for 110 usd (inc. ebay global shipping and taxes)

Dual core cpu, very fast on openvpn (no cpu bottleneck)

today on my 50/10 VDSL:

5395614348.png

and this is within Thailand! ridiculous

Easy tiger. It is probably a router failure somewhere along the line.

you are probably correct - speed went back to normal in the evening.

Another fan of 3bb 100/10 fiber .. Just ran usenet download ... 11.7 - 12.5 MB. Download by ftp from my seedbox in finland ... Around 8MB. Wifi to second floor ... 42Mb.

Add a 5ghz wireless ac router and get 100mbit on second floor via wifi too!

I bought asus ac56u rom ebay last year for 110 usd (inc. ebay global shipping and taxes)

Dual core cpu, very fast on openvpn (no cpu bottleneck)

I actually have a Asus ac87 which I used in my previous apartment with my True Router. Not quite sure but think 42mbs is enough for the Ipads upstairs. No heavy downloading takes places. Obviously the huawei router is more powerful than the n300 router of True. No vpn needed too. Edited by sniffdog

Honest 3bb saleasperson in Central Plaza Khon Kaen!!!!! I am currently on 3bb 15Mb/1Mb ADSL package which is fine for uktv until about 8:00p.m. when it starts to falter. Thinking that maybe changing to a VDSL package might sort it out, I visited 3bb today to enquire. The young lady kindly told me that I was on the best package for international bandwith and increasing to 20Mbps/4 or 50Mbps/10 would be a waste of money as whilst increasing local Thai speeds, international speeds were being reduced on newer packages (goverment intervention?) Even the massive FTTx fibre optic package would not be as good as my current package. To be frank, I thought she was talking nonsense, but having checked this thread it would appear she was spot on! Thank you young lady :-)

Honest 3bb saleasperson in Central Plaza Khon Kaen!!!!! I am currently on 3bb 15Mb/1Mb ADSL package which is fine for uktv until about 8:00p.m. when it starts to falter. Thinking that maybe changing to a VDSL package might sort it out, I visited 3bb today to enquire. The young lady kindly told me that I was on the best package for international bandwith and increasing to 20Mbps/4 or 50Mbps/10 would be a waste of money as whilst increasing local Thai speeds, international speeds were being reduced on newer packages (goverment intervention?) Even the massive FTTx fibre optic package would not be as good as my current package. To be frank, I thought she was talking nonsense, but having checked this thread it would appear she was spot on! Thank you young lady :-)

I wouldn't have thanked the young lady as I'm getting double your speed with no faltering to the UK in the evening with my 3bb fibre optic connection. Perhaps you should look for other motives in her response. Is fibre already in your road for instance. If it isn't maybe they don't want to pay for it. Never take anything for granted here.

My streaming of uitzendinggemist.nl (dutch catchup service) is perfect. No buffering and high setting. Even at 8-11 pm. The service was unusable with my previous true 16mb package. Likewise with twitch.tv. Previously unusable, now perfect on 'source quality'. 3bb fttx is great!

Edited by sniffdog

I think the 100mbit fibre plan delivers more bandwidth.

I can confirm though that the VDSL 50/10 plan doesn't.

But fibre is difficult to get in condos that haven't been wired already.

• 1 month later...

Just got an upgrade to 50/10 and if i'm connected by TP-cable, I get full speed but if i connect with WIFI I only get 22 Mbit (30 cm from modem).

The response from customer service is that the modem has a max speed of 24 Mbit through WIFI. If i read at the box it says 300 Mbit.

Can any1 confirm that this is a problem.

Just got an upgrade to 50/10 and if i'm connected by TP-cable, I get full speed but if i connect with WIFI I only get 22 Mbit (30 cm from modem).

The response from customer service is that the modem has a max speed of 24 Mbit through WIFI. If i read at the box it says 300 Mbit.

What are you using for the WiFi, phone, laptop etc?

300 mbit wifi only possible on 40 mhz channel. Your modem probably set to 20 mhz, which gives 144 mhz on 2x2 antenna.

If your phone has 1x1 antenna configuration for wifi, you will get max 72/65 mbit. Halve it for real speed = 36 / 32 mbit for one way. That is of course under ideal conditions. Everybody is using 2.4 ghz wifi in Thailand, it is like Sukhumvit / Asoke traffic in Bangkok.

Do 3BB have to install new cables for VDSL? Or do they use the existing ones?

I have just seen that they are offering 3BB VDSL 50/10 for THB700

No, they just install a new VDSL modem (with zero antennas). The modem is from Huawei, but can't find any specification. The paper box states 300 Mbit.

there are some strange things going on with 3BB VDSL.

before, I had 33 Mbit down, and now, 6 weeks later, I got only around 23 Mbits (consistent tested over several days). Upspeed has fallen from approx. 5.5 to 4.5

the other day I did tests with Switzerland - surprise! consistent speeds of 17 to 19 Mbits down. This only lasted for about 2 hours, then back to the normal throttled 6 to 7 Mbits.

:-/

Yeah nice young lady does not know that 15/1 is under what people get on a single connection outside of thailand..

everyone on 100/10 gets 10-11mbps outside of thailand for upload and the download on a SINGLE thread we get 6 to 50mbps

1mbps upload is a form of torture.

there are some strange things going on with 3BB VDSL.

before, I had 33 Mbit down, and now, 6 weeks later, I got only around 23 Mbits (consistent tested over several days). Upspeed has fallen from approx. 5.5 to 4.5

the other day I did tests with Switzerland - surprise! consistent speeds of 17 to 19 Mbits down. This only lasted for about 2 hours, then back to the normal throttled 6 to 7 Mbits.

:-/

After complaining today for maybe 20th time, my line was reset, and lo and behold, I now get for the first time ever 55 down and 11 up within Thailand !

So all their talk about my phone line not supporting higher speeds was BS.

International speeds are still bad though, at approx 5-7 Mbps down (single threaded).

Edited by manarak

300 mbit wifi only possible on 40 mhz channel. Your modem probably set to 20 mhz, which gives 144 mhz on 2x2 antenna.

If your phone has 1x1 antenna configuration for wifi, you will get max 72/65 mbit. Halve it for real speed = 36 / 32 mbit for one way. That is of course under ideal conditions. Everybody is using 2.4 ghz wifi in Thailand, it is like Sukhumvit / Asoke traffic in Bangkok.

Since you seem technically versed, I got a question for you.

I have access to a router in Switzerland.

When I test speeds from there to a host in Bangkok I get about 30 down and 10 up.

Is there a way to setup the router in Switzerland and the router in Thailand in such a way that the Swiss router would connect to the Thai router using the superior Swiss bandwidth and have the router in Thailand use the Swiss router as WAN ?

or, to put the question differently, can a VPN server somehow use the client's WAN ?

Switzerland router is ASUS RT-N66U

Thailand router is ASUS DSL-AC68U

hmm... more thoughts coming, would LAN to LAN bridge over VPN sound better?

Edited by manarak

Manarak,

Swiss bandwidth could be superiour, but you are throttled here in Thailand.

You can't connect two routers together. What you can do is, somehow add a singapore vps / proxy+vpn between them for better speed.

3BB throttles Singapore 10Mbits for single connection, which is much better than 2mbits other locations.

And no, Speedtest is not single threaded (I thought it was single all these years!). It uses 2-4-8 threads. Thats why I get 20mbit fixed speed on some SG location while I get max in Telin SG server (55 mbit). When you see 5-7 mbit in other locations, I am afraid it is not single connection.

So what can you do is,

get a digitalocean 5 usd/month 512Mb singapore vps (cloud)

set up nfs / samba connection to your home and mount it to your singapore cloud

Access everything via singapore vps much faster. The opposite can also be done. VPS can also mount 3BB connection (if you share files via samba etc)

You can also use singapore vps as vpn or proxy or both to increase your speed while here in Thailand.

Manarak,

You can't connect two routers together. What you can do is, somehow add a singapore vps / proxy+vpn between them for better speed.

3BB throttles Singapore 10Mbits for single connection, which is much better than 2mbits other locations.

And no, Speedtest is not single threaded (I thought it was single all these years!). It uses 2-4-8 threads. Thats why I get 20mbit fixed speed on some SG location while I get max in Telin SG server (55 mbit). When you see 5-7 mbit in other locations, I am afraid it is not single connection.

So what can you do is,

Access everything via singapore vps much faster. The opposite can also be done. VPS can also mount 3BB connection (if you share files via samba etc)

You can also use singapore vps as vpn or proxy or both to increase your speed while here in Thailand.

I get only 8.4 Mbps down from SIN, so that's not much of an improvement.

So now you agree that 3BB international speeds suck?

Manarak,

So what can you do is,

I get only 8.4 Mbps down from SIN, so that's not much of an improvement.

So now you agree that 3BB international speeds suck?

Yes I agree to that. But I found another loophole that allows me downloading at 3.8 Mbyte/sec average (2Mb - 6Mb/s but avg is 3.8Myte/sec) from my server in France using 1 connection. If I download from Singapore vps using same loophole, I get max speed almost at all times.

Yes, it is a problem.

DO NOT BUY THE 1500 BATH VDSL MODEM FROM 3BB (HG630).

I had two new technical guys here today with a new router but the problem remains. I think this device is capped in some way.

They also blame my equipment for not having capacity to handling such high speed as 50 MBit, LOL CMON. So we connected an old WIFI router 300 Mbit to one of the port on the VDSL device and connected through that to internet. Speed-test showing 47Mbit. So something is really wrong with the WIFI in the VDSL modem.

My advice is to buy TP-Link or similar VDSL modem.

Yes, it is a problem.

I had two new technical guys here today with a new router but the problem remains. I think this device is capped in some way.

They also blame my equipment for not having capacity to handling such high speed as 50 MBit, LOL CMON. So we connected an old WIFI router 300 Mbit to one of the port on the VDSL device and connected through that to internet. Speed-test showing 47Mbit. So something is really wrong with the WIFI in the VDSL modem.

3bb does not sell modem for 1500 baht. It is leased. 1500 baht is deposit.

I suggest go with it, and buy yourself an AC1200 wireless router for in-home wifi.

I use 3BB vdsl modem in bridge mode, wireless off. And use asus ac-56u router for everything else.

In theory, you can also buy asus DSL- series, but custom firmware support is better on standalone wireless router models (ones without RJ45 jack / adsl-vdsl mode)

Yes, it is a problem.

I suggest go with it, and buy yourself an AC1200 wireless router for in-home wifi.

I use 3BB vdsl modem in bridge mode, wireless off. And use asus ac-56u router for everything else.

In theory, you can also buy asus DSL- series, but custom firmware support is better on standalone wireless router models (ones without RJ45 jack / adsl-vdsl mode)

I went to 3BB shop and inquired about getting the 50/10 VDSL today.

The lady told me THB 1500 for router. I told her that I already had a VDSL router, and she said she needs to check the model to make sure it's compatible.

It's an ASUS DSL-AC68U Gigabit ADSL/VDSL wireless1900 modem router. So should be OK I hope.

Edited by phetphet

Yes, it is a problem.

I went to 3BB shop and inquired about getting the 50/10 VDSL today.

The lady told me THB 1500 for router. I told her that I already had a VDSL router, and she said she needs to check the model to make sure it's compatible.

It's an ASUS DSL-AC68U Gigabit ADSL/VDSL wireless1900 modem router. So should be OK I hope.

yes, it is compatible and far superior to the 3BB modem

Is it possible to get just a plain ADSL2/VDSL modem, no router from 3bb or in IT shops? 3bb used to have the plain ADSL2 modem for 100 baht. No wifi, just something to get the internet connection and 1 or 2 LAN ethernet out ports.

You would need a separate router to get wifi or further split up the connection.....perfectly fine with me.

Is it possible to get just a plain ADSL2/VDSL modem, no router from 3bb or in IT shops? 3bb used to have the plain ADSL2 modem for 100 baht. No wifi, just something to get the internet connection and 1 or 2 LAN ethernet out ports.

You would need a separate router to get wifi or further split up the connection.....perfectly fine with me.

you will have to pay attention to the supported standards on these small boxes, for example 3BB runs VDSL2

I went and signed up for the 50/10 for THB700 deal from 3BB yesterday. I connected my Asus DSL AC68U ADSL/VDSL router once I got home ( had previously entered all the settings, and it worked straight way.

I did a speedtest via wifi, not had a chance yet to do a hard wired test using www.speedof.me and got Down 19.39Mbps and up 8.73Mbps.

Will post a hard wired test result later.

I went and signed up for the 50/10 for THB700 deal from 3BB yesterday. I connected my Asus DSL AC68U ADSL/VDSL router once I got home ( had previously entered all the settings, and it worked straight way.

Presumably you already had 3BB ADSL? How do they sort out the change of billing from your previous package?