Thailand eyes luxury tourists, operators say keep them safe

webfact

Thailand eyes luxury tourists, operators say keep them safe

By Amy Sawitta Lefevre

Reuters

BANGKOK, March 30 (Reuters) - Thailand needs to do more to keep its tourists safe if it wants to achieve its objective of attracting more high-end travellers, operators say, or it risks losing out to its up-and-coming neighbours.

With its palm-fringed beaches, Buddhist culture and racy nightlife, Thailand has been the poster child for Asian tourism for decades, attracting a range of visitors from backpackers and adventure-seekers, to families and culture vultures.

In recent years, increasing numbers of Chinese tourists have joined the mix. But dark clouds could be forming even as a record 32 million tourists are expected this year.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-tourism-idUSL3N16X1K3

reuterslogo.jpg

-- Reuters 2016-03-30

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want luxury tourists, then you'll need something luxurious to offer them. A luxurious hotel here and there, a couple of restaurants and underground clubs and one luxurious shopping mall in smog filled, traffic crazed BKK just isn't enough. Most of the rich lifestyle being offered in Thailand is considered middle class many places in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We need to reassure tourists that Thailand is safe." Surapong Techaruwichit, chairman of the Hotel Association of Thailand, told Reuters.

Well, how about making Thailand safe?

"Many people say tourists come here because it is a cheap destination. This needs to change," Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul told a tourist safety workshop last week.

Do they really think people will pay western prices to be ripped off in a barely functioning 'fragile state' where death and injury lurks around every corner?

"Elephants trampling on tourists and tourists having their legs cut off by speed boats, this won't happen any more," Major General Surachet Hakphan, commander of the Tourist Police told Reuters, referring to two recent fatal accidents.

Yeah, right. thumbsup.gif

"People want to believe Thailand is a great place and nothing goes wrong here - this is a perception that works in our favour," Jason Friedman, managing director at J.M. Friedman & Co. told Reuters.

And that is it in a nutshell: a perception. A fragile factually inaccurate perception. Sure millions manage to come and leave—or stay long term—without being killed or maimed, but nearly everyone will have a story or two about close calls, or even witness something terrible.

Thailand is not a safe place. One can stay safe if they have their head screwed on properly, sure, but it can all quite suddenly turn bad at any time. And until Thailand has a democratically elected corruption-free government, free from military control/intervention, an independent corruption-free military accountable to the government, a professional corruption-free civil service, and a radically reformed corruption-free police force (notice a pattern?), it will never become the destination these people want it to be.

beatdeadhorse.gif

"Many people say tourists come here because it is a cheap destination. This needs to change," Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul told a tourist safety workshop last week.

It has changed. Thailand is no longer a cheap destination for many.

"Elephants trampling on tourists and tourists having their legs cut off by speed boats, this won't happen any more," Surachet told Reuters, referring to two recent fatal accidents.

Amazing how they make claims like this. Unreal.gigglem.gif

The infrastructure and people skills are not present in any shape of form to efficiently and safely deal with a large quantity of high visitors. Where would you take them and what could you offer them... Take them to Pattaya ?? Don't think so bar staying in the likes of Royal Cliff and spending all there time there and on there Island what would they do? Most areas in Bangkok are not suitable for wealthy tourists in any numbers and certainly the level of service and Languages spoken is nowhere near adequate .

Thailand is a long long way from being able to cater for this market. And as for driving and safety standards and corruption A big fat no chance. Not in my life time sadly !

Thailand will never lose the millions of tourists it gets, I have yet to see the reported numbers fade away to nothing. Tourist habits change I see with my own eyes as they stay in their hotel rooms drinking bottles of beer from 7 - 11 for holiday entertainment but they keep coming, more and more.

The infrastructure and people skills are not present in any shape of form to efficiently and safely deal with a large quantity of high visitors. Where would you take them and what could you offer them... Take them to Pattaya ?? Don't think so bar staying in the likes of Royal Cliff and spending all there time there and on there Island what would they do? Most areas in Bangkok are not suitable for wealthy tourists in any numbers and certainly the level of service and Languages spoken is nowhere near adequate .

Thailand is a long long way from being able to cater for this market. And as for driving and safety standards and corruption A big fat no chance. Not in my life time sadly !

Come on! Take them to Surin beach in Phuket. Wait...errr....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/887384-stagnant-sewage-pool-on-surin-beach-to-be-pumped-to-bang-tao/

1452997922_1.jpg

I was at a luxury resort not long ago in Pattaya. Went down to the see to watch the sunset. The amount of trash floating in the water was unreal. This picture blows me away:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/831483-50-tonnes-of-thai-garbage-flows-into-sea-every-year/#entry9496089

Thailand_Phi_Phi_Is_Maya_Bay_4888_1.jpg

If I want high end or even medium end with clean beaches, safe drinking water and sane drivers I'll go to Hawaii or Florida. I probably won't even see any litter much less have to smell it or see rats teeming in it.

Thailand is for the low end traveler or for the sex tourist. Yes Thailand is cheap if compared to true high end places in Western countries, but it isn't cheap for what it is. It surely isn't safe, either.

The only other attraction which is significant is the change in culture - doing and being somewhere different with different things to see and different food. That part I like.

Cheers.

Again with the Quality tourist.

We want money for nothing from respectable people like us, is that what they're saying.

Thai Hi So's are just 3rd world Nxxxxxs with too much stolen money and they want more and more!

If I want high end or even medium end with clean beaches, safe drinking water and sane drivers I'll go to Hawaii or Florida. I probably won't even see any litter much less have to smell it or see rats teeming in it.

Thailand is for the low end traveler or for the sex tourist. Yes Thailand is cheap if compared to true high end places in Western countries, but it isn't cheap for what it is. It surely isn't safe, either.

The only other attraction which is significant is the change in culture - doing and being somewhere different with different things to see and different food. That part I like.

Cheers.

Blah blah blah, any opportunity to tell us how bad Thailand is and how great the West is, the rhetoric is stale and way past its sell date.

One of those up-and-coming neighbours is Vietnam where tourist numbers have skyrocketed this year. With relaxed visa requirements which encourage visitors and harsher penalties for those who commit crimes against tourists. A recent Vietnamese example of the sort of penalties Thailand should be looking at is describedbelow. Four years jail for a failed phone snatch. Crimes of violence against tourist are virtually non-existent. Vietnam is arguably the safest tourist destination in S.E. Asia. I am in a position to comment as I have spent 70% and 30% respectively of the last 10 years in Vietnam and Thailand.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/man-gets-4-years-for-robbing-foreign-tourist-of-phone-in-hanoi-59033.html

Cheers.

Blah blah blah, any opportunity to tell us how bad Thailand is and how great the West is, the rhetoric is stale and way past its sell date.

He's not saying the West is perfect, but he's spot on with regards to the quality of the beaches here. I'm guessing you've never been to Florida or Hawaii? My friend keeps sending me pics like this from Florida. I'm jealous. Can't even swim in the water here....

post-5869-0-65560600-1459302441_thumb.jp

Cheers.

He's not saying the West is perfect, but he's spot on with regards to the quality of the beaches here. I'm guessing you've never been to Florida or Hawaii? My friend keeps sending me pics like this from Florida. I'm jealous. Can't even swim in the water here....

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for several years so yes, I do understand the standard of the beaches there. But Asia is loaded with true high quality resorts and locations, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and yes, even Thailand so there's no need to suggest that the West is the only place for such things. As for good quality beaches in Thailand, there's loads, to suggest you couldn't swim in the waters here is a stretch of the imagination just a bit too far. Certainly I wouldn't wish to go swimming in Pattaya Bay of parts of Patong Beach but those are just two high density tourist locations with poor sewerage infrastructure, that leaves plenty of very viable options including the Phangna island chain and others.

"Elephants trampling on tourists and tourists having their legs cut off by speed boats, this won't happen any more,"

That's right, they plan to kill the tourists on the highways BEFORE they can be trampled by elephants or maimed by speedboats. After all, a heck of a lot more tourists die from Thailand's road anarchy than from these more press-worthy forms of death.

Cheers.

On our holiday trips to UK my wife is always commenting about the lack of litter and rubbish on the beaches, the obvious safety work at road works, temporary lights and lane marking etc etc.

Service areas where there isn't an all pervading odour of sewerage around the area. Service in Hotels and restaurants we go to etc is another point in that it doesn't have to be a five star establishment to get five star service nowadays in UK.

Wouldn't pretend to tell you it's cheaper than here but in some areas it can be. Wine, beer in pubs etc seem to be on a par, unless you sit on the kerb here outside the 7/11. Wine to buy by the bottle is way cheaper than here.

Lots of really good self catering places to rent that can can be and are better than many hotels here.

And no I don't want to go back and live there, it's too damn cold for me and gas/petrol is over 1 pound 5 pence a litre .

Cheers.

On our holiday trips to UK my wife is always commenting about the lack of litter and rubbish on the beaches, the obvious safety work at road works, temporary lights and lane marking etc etc.

Service areas where there isn't an all pervading odour of sewerage around the area. Service in Hotels and restaurants we go to etc is another point in that it doesn't have to be a five star establishment to get five star service nowadays in UK.

Wouldn't pretend to tell you it's cheaper than here but in some areas it can be. Wine, beer in pubs etc seem to be on a par, unless you sit on the kerb here outside the 7/11. Wine to buy by the bottle is way cheaper than here.

Lots of really good self catering places to rent that can can be and are better than many hotels here.

And no I don't want to go back and live there, it's too damn cold for me and gas/petrol is over 1 pound 5 pence a litre .

Ditto; my wife loves Britain and feels very safe there in every way. However; she doesn't want to live there as it's too cold for long periods and too far away from family. She also loves New Zealand for holidays but doesn't want to live there for the same reasons.

Cheers.

Yep that's Florida. 105 million tourists in 2015 and very little garbage anywhere.

Florida sees record tourism numbers in 2015

Cheers.

What part of litter, smell, rats, or unsafe water and highways do you disagree with? Ad hominem attacks don't indicate brilliance from the poster, you know. thumbsup.gif

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for several years so yes, I do understand the standard of the beaches there. But Asia is loaded with true high quality resorts and locations, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and yes, even Thailand so there's no need to suggest that the West is the only place for such things. As for good quality beaches in Thailand, there's loads, to suggest you couldn't swim in the waters here is a stretch of the imagination just a bit too far. Certainly I wouldn't wish to go swimming in Pattaya Bay of parts of Patong Beach but those are just two high density tourist locations with poor sewerage infrastructure, that leaves plenty of very viable options including the Phangna island chain and others.

Agreed about Asia, but this is about Thailand. Yes, there are some really nice beaches here. But many are quite bad. I've been from Surat to the Cambodia border on gulf side of Thailand. Been to a majority of the beaches there. And from Ranong to Phuket then down to Khao Lak. Haven't been past there yet. So I do know the beaches quite well. Plus, been on all the major tourist islands.

Raw sewage has been seen many times on islands like Samet and Koh Chang. Many houses and business have their sewage go into the storm drains. Which go right into the sea. Interesting article from Samui about this:

http://www.samuitimes.com/does-samuis-waste-water-all-end-up-in-the-sea/

One of many articles on this:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/571167-just-one-fifth-of-wastewater-in-thailand-is-being-treated/

I live south of Jomtien. From there to Bang Saray, the water is terrible. Forget Rayong and surrounding areas also....

If Thailand wants to attract luxury tourists, this needs to be fixed.

"Many people say tourists come here because it is a cheap destination. This needs to change,"

He just got the Jet Ski operators and taxi drivers extremely excited.

What needs to change is value for money...it's a or more expensive than it was 10 or 15 years ago!