A two year old revved a bike killing her granddad who had let her ride in front

webfact

Thaivisa Reporters

pth.jpg
Image: Thairath

PATHUM THANI:-- A tragic accident yesterday killed a grandfather visiting his two year old granddaughter. He allowed her to sit on the front of a motorcycle and when she grabbed the throttle unexpectedly the bike crashed into railings.

The 66 year old granddad visiting Bangkok from Chiang Rai died at the scene while the two year old and a 16 year old girl on the back were injured.

The tragic accident occurred in a housing estate in the Lat Sawai area of Lam Luk Ka, Pathum Thani.

The grandfather, Suchart, who was driving the Yamaha bike allowed his two year old granddaughter to sit on the front while the other girl was on the back.

They were driving down the soi to a convenience store nearby when the tiny girl grabbed the accelerator causing Suchart to lose control and crash into railings in front of a house.

Houseowner Chanapol Chaibunreuang, 40, dashed out on hearing the crash into his own frontage but the man was dead on the footpath.

The crying children were sent to hospital before police arrived. The older girl told the house owner what had happened.

A full investigation into the incident is underway.

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-01

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It surprises me that this type of accident is not happening all of the time. Thais see no problem in have, I have seen, up to 4 kids being given a ride.

No helmets, no extra seats. Grasping on for dear life and limb. The fact that it was grandpa doing the driving just makes it worse. Luckily the kids are OK.

This is tragic... The poor child will grow up knowing it was her who accidentally killed her Grandfather.

That said. My Wife and I both agree that we won't leave our 2 year old son in the care of his Thai Grandparents (unless for just an hour or two while the nanny is also present). I have seen them do some innocently dangerous things. They are good hearted but innocently ignorant of the risks.

I.e. Crying in the car seat, they wanted to take him out because he didn't lije it...

Giving him a slice of bread to chew / suck on at 3 month old (I was present to react and take it away)

Giving him a full glass of water at 4 months old (I didn't react in time, my son poured it all over himself).

They mean well, but just don't know how to safely parent (my Wife was basically brought up by the Maids)....

"This is tragic... The poor child will grow up knowing it was her who accidentally killed her Grandfather."

With respect, I think this will be forgotten in a few months......life here is not so precious, as we all know.

Many good points raised in the post above but I have to disagree regarding the guilt she'll feel. She didnt accidently kill him, he did by behaving so carelessly in the first instance. Why would putting a 2 year old child on the front of a motorbike ever be a good idea? However, this being Thailand she probably will be lead to believe it was her fault in some way so maybe you're right.

The rest of your points are bang on, especially the car seat. "He's crying can't you see?" "This is Suk'vit road, full of the worst drivers in the world, can't you?"

Not so much tragic as stupid and they never seem to learn. Told our friend it was dangerous for her 3 year old to be standing at the front of her 4.4, not well received. Few weeks later after breaking hard he went straight into the windshield so hard it cracked and had to be replaced, luckily he only had bad bruising. After the truck was back on the road the kid is still standing at the front playing about, idiocy. Another local kid recently came off a bike while standing at the front nearly died- they are still letting him do it. Anyone ever seen a child seat in a car here, anyone ever see the cops pull over a bike with kids standing at the front or for no helmets?

It also makes you cringe when you see them driving along

in a car or truck with a toddler sitting on the drivers knee,

or standing up between the front seats,an accident waiting

to happen.

Just going down the Soi to shop,no crash helmets?3 on a bike

most motor accidents happen near to home,hope the young girls

are OK, RIP to granddad

regards Worgeordie

"He allowed her to sit on the front of a motorcycle and when she grabbed the throttle unexpectedly the bike crashed into railings."

"Cause and Effect." The foundation on the spiritual belief system in Thailand, is a concept totally lost on the general population in every day matters. This shows up in the way they drive, absence of building safety code enforcement, total lack of supervision of children, etc. While the family might be scratching their heads wondering how this tragedy occurred, anyone with an ounce of common sense would say: "What the ____ was he thinking?...and the answer of course is...."He wasn't".

Not so much tragic as stupid and they never seem to learn. Told our friend it was dangerous for her 3 year old to be standing at the front of her 4.4, not well received. Few weeks later after breaking hard he went straight into the windshield so hard it cracked and had to be replaced, luckily he only had bad bruising. After the truck was back on the road the kid is still standing at the front playing about, idiocy. Another local kid recently came off a bike while standing at the front nearly died- they are still letting him do it. Anyone ever seen a child seat in a car here, anyone ever see the cops pull over a bike with kids standing at the front or for no helmets?

I was FORCED to buy my nice a car seat her family refuse to buy one

Then I had to (trick) them into using it by taking it to a monk and have him scribble "magical" writing all over it..

Showed them how to use it and told them the monk had blessed it and it would protect the baby in the car..

It was used for a while then one day I noticed it was gone...

I asked where it was was told in the car in the trunk..

They believed it only needed to be in the car and not used to prevent a crash.... Like the stupid Amulets in the windshield..

I gave up after that...

The worst part is the parents are FATHER cop "BIB" MOTHER school teacher...

No hope here just let darwinisum take care of it...

It surprises me that this type of accident is not happening all of the time. Thais see no problem in have, I have seen, up to 4 kids being given a ride.

No helmets, no extra seats. Grasping on for dear life and limb. The fact that it was grandpa doing the driving just makes it worse. Luckily the kids are OK.

Yup, it is surprising.

This is case sad for granddad, but let's not mention all the children injured amd killed by parents in similar situations.

In this case the 2 year old had access to the lethal weapon.

Then I had to (trick) them into using it by taking it to a monk and have him scribble "magical" writing all over it..

Showed them how to use it and told them the monk had blessed it and it would protect the baby in the car..

They believed it only needed to be in the car and not used to prevent a crash.... Like the stupid Amulets in the windshield..

I gave up after that...

Children carseats are expensive in Thailand, import-tax and very low quantity's cause that.

But Thai don't need those silly things since they don't care at all for safety. They also don't need helmets for kids on motocycles.

The only thing i sometimes see is a "baby on board" sticker which really makes me laugh. Like if other drivers wouldn't cut you off if you have a baby onboard.

So this kid killed grandpa? Well it was his own fault i think, they are still lucky the bike didn't drive onto a busy road. If that had happened and caused a serious accident than who would have to pay for the damage? The dead grandpa?

Saw 7 up on a scooter yesterday...it looked like mum dad teenage kid a 9 year old approx a toddler and 2 tiny infants... no helmets..

In the nanny state of the UK the kids would be taken into care and the parents jailed.

But at least the kids might grow up knowing how stupid their parents were....

Believe it or not the locals here actually think it is safer in a car for someone to hold onto infants than have them strapped into a proper car seat. Europe / UK every car with a child in the family has a car seat fitted in it - how many child car seats do you ever see in this part of the world...?

Recently some famous Thai woman that lives in Europe posted photos of her new born in its car seat on her facebook page and was inundated by ignorant posts from Thais telling her she was not taking care of her child and it was dangerous....!!!

My GF showed me the posts. The woman in question told them where to go - only because she has been westernised....

When I visit my relatives in Thailand I am reminded of what life was like in Canada in the 50s and 60s.

As kids in the country, we could ride in the back of our pickup. Seat belts were stored

safely under the seat so it was more comfy to sit on. That is if the car was new and actually had car seats. My one cousin got tossed out of his car, and it rolled over him and killed him,

I was 17 at the time, and that got me wearing my seat belt after that.

I guess we are just further ahead in time, in North America, and some of Asia and Europe and

places like Australia as well. I am still amazed when I see a Thai motorcycle with

4 or 5 people on it. That is Thailand, and will be for a few to several more years yet.

I hope the family will not tell the poor 12 year old what happened to Grande Dad when

she is older.

Geezer

I gave up after that...

Show them the old public information films on YouTube.

I'm not swallowing this story. A 2yo isn't tall or strong enough to act as described,furthermore their hands are too small to turn the throttle. I suspect 'face' might explain how this came about, even in death.

I gave up after that...

Who FORCED you?

I gave up after that...

I'm not swallowing this story. A 2yo isn't tall or strong enough to act as described,furthermore their hands are too small to turn the throttle. I suspect 'face' might explain how this came about, even in death.

Probably forgot to mention that Granpa had a few Leo's before...

When I visit my relatives in Thailand I am reminded of what life was like in Canada in the 50s and 60s.

As kids in the country, we could ride in the back of our pickup. Seat belts were stored

safely under the seat so it was more comfy to sit on. That is if the car was new and actually had car seats. My one cousin got tossed out of his car, and it rolled over him and killed him,

I was 17 at the time, and that got me wearing my seat belt after that.

I guess we are just further ahead in time, in North America, and some of Asia and Europe and

places like Australia as well. I am still amazed when I see a Thai motorcycle with

4 or 5 people on it. That is Thailand, and will be for a few to several more years yet.

I hope the family will not tell the poor 12 year old what happened to Grande Dad when

she is older.

Geezer

Part of the problem is thy think things are pre ordained by 'karma' so it makes no difference if you are drunk driving while texting, you will only die or have an accident if it's your time to and you deserve it

i thought everyone knew that the best place for a toddler on a scooter, is being held aloft by the passenger in between the two of them, see it every day at tesco lotus,i presume the toddler can be thrown well clear of the accident when it happens, rip old fella.

i thought everyone knew that the best place for a toddler on a scooter, is being held aloft by the passenger in between the two of them, see it every day at tesco lotus,i presume the toddler can be thrown well clear of the accident when it happens, rip old fella.

That's also what i see on the mainroads.

And then the toddler wears a hat like the gardeners do, not a helmet of course...And while they were on the bridge the hat almost blew off his head so the backpassenger had to hold that in place clap2.gif

I think everyone would agree that the education system overall, not just academic has space for huge improvement! Will this happen anytime soon - my guess is no? It's in the hands of the government, do they want educated people seeing what they are doing! Life is still too cheap here!

SMFH about the title, wow,..... the sensationalist newspaper "blame the Child for "accidentily killing a Phu Yai"

Condolences to the deceased, but the news title,...... OMFSMFG G

I gave up after that...

Probably forgot to mention that Granpa had a few Leo's before...

Where were Grandpa's hands when that happened? Is it possible that Grandpa didn't know how to drive a fully automatic scooter and hit the brakes with his foot?

"This is tragic... The poor child will grow up knowing it was her who accidentally killed her Grandfather."

With respect, I think this will be forgotten in a few months......life here is not so precious, as we all know.

But, she didn't kill anyone, accidentally or otherwise. He killed himself through stupidity.

Archived