Thai & US naval officers join combat training

webfact

Thai & US naval officers join combat training

usa.jpg

PHUKET, 1 April 2016 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Navy and the United States Navy are preparing to co-launch Guardian Sea 2016, a series of marine defense and combat drills scheduled for late May.

Rear Adm Vasinsan Chantavarin, Commander of Helicopter Carrier Squadron, Royal Thai Fleet on Thursday chaired a meeting on the final preparations for Guardian Sea 2016.

The Royal Thai Navy and the United States Navy have organized military exercises of this nature in the past. However, the upcoming drill will be a first to take place in the Andaman Sea.

The Thai Navy has prepared HTMS Chakri Naruebet, HTMS Naresuan and HTMS Taksin and three Seahawk helicopters with dipping sonar systems for the event. The United States Navy will contribute a submarine, a destroyer and a helicopter.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-01 footer_n.gif

The "Helicopter Carrier Squadron" will have to bimble all the way around Singapore and back up the other side!

The US helo is presumably based on their destroyer, the submarine presumably the target.

I've participated in amphibious landings here several times...from a long tail, wading ashore at Beach Rd

attachicon.gif06-06-26_1350.JPG

Why?

So he could clench his teeth, jut his jaw, and announce "I will return"?

You forgot the pipe between clenched teeth. Gotta have the pipe, it's important.

Odd that I ended up here in Thailand decades later. I would of never thought that.

One of my colleagues transferred out of the middle east to a staff duty position on 7th Fleet in Japan. Ran into him on Guam about 2002, and he was all excited having discovered Amazing Thailand, big plans to buy a condo and retire early there. Yeah yeah, you're full of s**t, I said, and I never gave it another thought.

We had a good laugh about it on email recently. I ended up here, and he lives in Texas. Funny that. facepalm.gif

Odd that I ended up here in Thailand decades later. I would of never thought that.

One of my colleagues transferred out of the middle east to a staff duty position on 7th Fleet in Japan. Ran into him on Guam about 2002, and he was all excited having discovered Amazing Thailand, big plans to buy a condo and retire early there. Yeah yeah, you're full of s**t, I said, and I never gave it another thought.

We had a good laugh about it on email recently. I ended up here, and he lives in Texas. Funny that. facepalm.gif

Where you said, "I ended up here, and he lives in Texas." You ended up in the better living location. tongue.png

No surprises that the doom and gloom reports previously that military ties would deteriorate would not come to fruition.

Good luck with the joint exercises.

Works both ways, the Thais get a chance to try and find a state of the art submarine ( unlikely perhaps) and the USN gets a chance to comprehensively assess the RTN anti submarine skills.

No surprises that the doom and gloom reports previously that military ties would deteriorate would not come to fruition.

Sorry but, Cobra Gold was scaled back because of the coup, and escalating repression of the media, opposition and freedom of speech.

Doom and gloom and rose tinted glasses aside, the US is fairly confident elections will take place eventually (and another coup), and understands there are "other" issues brewing under the surface. The measured response is appropriate, for now, which also recognizes that China is quick to fill the void should Washington pull back too far.

"Good luck with the joint exercises."

I think that's why LannaGuy mentioned massage and a beer.

It's a 'medal' opportunity............whistling.gif

If a clunky old aircraft carrier, with three ASW helos aboard manages to find and "sink" a USN submarine before it is "sunk" then it should be tea, crumpets and medals all round!

It's a 'medal' opportunity............whistling.gif

If a clunky old aircraft carrier, with three ASW helos aboard manages to find and "sink" a USN submarine before it is "sunk" then it should be tea, crumpets and medals all round!

Quite a few years ago, a group of us were at the Sattahip Navy beach and I could see a portion of the carrier moored around the corner. I was told I wouldn't be allowed on board for a tour, Thai Only. They were happy to sell me a ship's ball cap though.

Archived