advise from those who know

My Wife's sister in Khon Kaen wants to buy a used car, it is a 1997 Nisan Super saloon with 180k km

for 75,000 baht probably could negotiate a lower price

IThey just need the car to get around town.

I can give them the money no problem, but I think 180k is a lot of miles, I would rather we spend 100.000 baht more and they get something more reliable

what do you all think

I am in the US now so I cant deal with this and would apreciate any advise.

If you know cars, mileage is a non issue. We bought a second car for town - Nissan NV. Then had 152K. Now 180K. Burns no oil, leaks no oil, front end tight, body perfect with no rust, interior like new. Bought one battery and 4 tires since we got it, and had the clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing replaced for the astronomical price of 3600 baht - parts and labour. But I have been around cars al my life and gave it a thorough checkup prior to buying. Blue book shows us to be the second owner since new.

unfortu

If you know cars, mileage is a non issue. We bought a second car for town - Nissan NV. Then had 152K. Now 180K. Burns no oil, leaks no oil, front end tight, body perfect with no rust, interior like new. Bought one battery and 4 tires since we got it, and had the clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing replaced for the astronomical price of 3600 baht - parts and labour. But I have been around cars al my life and gave it a thorough checkup prior to buying. Blue book shows us to be the second owner since new.

Unfortunately the immediate family consists of Father in Law . Mother in Law and sister in law and none pf them know much about cars.

180,000KM is not necessarily a lot of KM. What is it is pretty rare for a 19yo car, if legit.

Very good point, that would average 9,500 km per year or 5903 mi which is half the general average in the US 12k miles per year

Does the 12k miles average per year also stand for Thailand???

the 'milage ' is low for the age of the vehicle, would depend on service history and general maintenance history, but an ok thailand price for the age of the vehicle

Edited by steve187

looking at the price again maybe a little over the top, but could be the 'milage' doing that, i would think its the same engine as the nv, and they seem to go on forever.

1994-2000 car from 43,000 to 99,000B =

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/SchC.aspx?fno:all+mk:34+md:160+bd:73+ta:0+smd:n+ty:0+cl:0+gr:b+pv:0+y1:0+y2:2016+p1:0+p2:0

2000-2004 cars from 89,000 to 189,000 =

http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/SchC.aspx?fno:all+mk:34+md:160+bd:75+ta:0+smd:n+ty:0+cl:0+gr:b+pv:0+y1:0+y2:2016+p1:0+p2:0

The speedo could have been clocked! You need to see the car. Look at the condition of the door seals will give some indication if the body is getting old and tired....which also has some bearing on how it drives. A high mileage car can feel sloppy.

I drive a 23 year old Nissan ( manual gearbox for longevity ) Still has good bodywork and has clocked up 310,000 k on the original engine and still runs smooth and quiet. Since I bought it 10 years ago I have made a religion out of regular quality oil and filter changes.

It's not necessarily how old the car is but depends on if the car has been well maintained and not thrashed by a lot of high speed long journeys.

Edited by Denim

Thank you all for your helpful replies,

I think the best way forward would be to wait a few months until I am able to return to Thailand, add a couple of hundred thousand Baht and get them a better car, otherwise I believe the money I dont invest initially , I will subsequently with ongoing repairs.