Stinky Mattress Disposal

Somnambulist

The previous tenant gave me her mattress when she moved on (to another country). How nice, I thought, until I slept on it. Yeeuuhhh, it's bad, unsalvageable. I've tried vinegar, baking soda, even pet odor spray. So how do I get rid of it? Someone told me there's a place that will actually pay me for it because they can recycle the metal springs in it.

We sold our old mattresses for 200 Baht each as I recall to a couple of ladies that used to drive around the moobaan looking to buy recyclables. I took a shot at asking them if they wanted the mattresses even for free to haul them away and they said they get a lot of money for the springs and they would buy them. Must be people like that in your area?

Good ideas. But I don't want another fullsize western style mattress. I'm going to simplify and get something I can roll up and put in a corner. It's how I lived in Japan for years and years and appeals to me now with the divorce, moving house and kind of starting everything over. Maybe a big box store would haul it away if I bought something but the last thing I want is another big thing to own and haul around.

I'll ask around. Must be someone around hear who knows. Thanks.

Imagine it is stinky cos of mega action..........w00t.gif ........There could be a rich guy out there that would pay zillions for it to hang it on his trophy wall....giggle.gif ...thumbsup.gif

OP, please see private message. I sent you Trans' address. He seems to have a mattress fetish.

Leave it outside. Wait for someone to steal it... problem solved.

The reason I never put ours outside is because someone left a mattress outside near the Burmese camp in our moobaan, apparently thinking someone would grab it. No, it sat out there for about 9 months until the lot was cleared.

Although not relevant to the thread, you see some strange things here. At the Burmese camp, people live in the most primitive structures with corrugated steel roofing, use holes in the soil as toilets. Yet you see both brand new and/or less than 5 year old expensive trucks parked out there each day when the construction guys get home from work. Really boggles the mind.

We sold our old mattresses for 200 Baht each as I recall to a couple of ladies that used to drive around the moobaan looking to buy recyclables. I took a shot at asking them if they wanted the mattresses even for free to haul them away and they said they get a lot of money for the springs and they would buy them. Must be people like that in your area?

I wonder if the recyclers then sell the springs back to the manufacturers of "new" mattresses.