SURVEY: Should drunk drivers have license revoked and vehicle impounded?

Scott

SURVEY: Drunk drivers, what to do?  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What question am I refusing to answer?

Like I said - no. I don't drink and drive. Never have. Never will.

I'm not sure where you think this little interrogation is going.

The fact alone that you refuse a simple question proves that you are just a keyboard warrior.

Over and out

The fact alone that you refuse a simple question proves that you are just a keyboard warrior.

Over and out

Not sure if you have reading disabilities so here is the question for the third time. A simple yes or no will suffice.

never in your life previously have you driven a car after having only TWO beers Right?

Over and out

Not sure if you have reading disabilities so here is the question for the third time. A simple yes or no will suffice.

never in your life previously have you driven a car after having only TWO beers Right?

Are you a bit simple or something?

I answered that twice already - no, I haven't.

I'll say this slowly this time.

I don't drink and drive.

As for driving drunk regardless what circumstances,for a farang i would deport them for life,not joking,they know in their own countries what the penalty is,so lets not forget that we are supposed to be responsible people,we all know that there is really no law here that comes anywhere near what we are used to,also we know that thailand is a long way behind,we should be showing a good example to these people.Some farangs act like they have just been released from a lifetime behind bars,and they just create a bad image.Im not saying we are saints,but common sense tells us,or should do,that we need to act on the roads like we do at home,respect the life we have and try to make things better here and safer not go around like drunkards acting worse than thais.

<deleted> most of us left the west to escape the limits to personal freedom that are implemented to curtail the few but have a unilateral impact. Thailand laws are just fine. Road accidents happen with or without alcohol or drug use.

Stop clamouring for more stringent laws farang, you no appreciate Thainess.

not enough information.

drunk by what margin?

I think that's important.

Agree - what is drunk?

I'd feel a lot safer if I knew the driver had had three beers and driving carefully than a sober driver driving recklessly.

Many people particularly the older experienced driver, whether the esteemed members here agree or not, can drive quite sensibly after 3 or 4 beers.

Anyone who thinks that everyone becomes a lunatic behind the wheel after 3 beers is living in the world of fantasy and have been brainwashed by the do-gooders in the nanny state.

Legally drunk - probably, to the point of being a danger - most likely not.

Combine drink and speed and you have a very different story indeed.

not enough information.

drunk by what margin?

Agree - what is drunk?

I'd feel a lot safer if I knew the driver had had three beers and driving carefully than a sober driver driving recklessly.

Many people particularly the older experienced driver, whether the esteemed members here agree or not, can drive quite sensibly after 3 or 4 beers.

Anyone who thinks that everyone becomes a lunatic behind the wheel after 3 beers is living in the world of fantasy and have been brainwashed by the do-gooders in the nanny state.

Legally drunk - probably, to the point of being a danger - most likely not.

Combine drink and speed and you have a very different story indeed.

Agree, and one of them posted just above this post.

Some of you guys are like relics from another age.

I would guess that most of the ThaiVisa members are relics from another age, not exactly a forum full of the joys of spring is it ?

When the never ending whining and moaning sounds like a bunch of miserable old men, maybe it's because they are.

I certainly don't want Thailand to become like the UK, where you can be heavily fined for going through a re light or eating a sandwich while driving. I moved to Thailand 30 years ago and value the freedom that Thai people like. Newbies always are confused and mixed between cultures and PC bullshit.

Long live Thailand the way it is!

I certainly don't want Thailand to become like the UK, where you can be heavily fined for going through a re light or eating a sandwich while driving. I moved to Thailand 30 years ago and value the freedom that Thai people like. Newbies always are confused and mixed between cultures and PC bullshit.

Did you ever wonder why the UK has a far lower traffic fatality rate?

Would you still say "Love live Thailand the way it is" if your family died at the hands of a stupid and/or drunk driver?

Edited by Chicog

Did you ever wonder why the UK has a far lower traffic fatality rate?

Would you still say "Love live Thailand the way it is" if your family died at the hands of a stupid and/or drunk driver?

It's pretty obvious ain't it?

If you're scared to travel on the roads then perhaps you retired to the wrong country.

I think any farang letting their kids get on the back of a pick up truck should be deported.

I think pick up truck should be banned during this holiday that had gone crazy. When I moved here in 1985 it was only crazy farang in Khao San Road that did the nonsense that happens today.

Deported for this? Sounds like you haven't changed from your 1985 days of being "crazy" on KSR. What a glorious and proud site that must have been back then.

With your ingenious final solution of banning all pick up trucks during Songkran, how will businesses get delivery of their goods?

I think any farang letting their kids get on the back of a pick up truck should be deported.

I think pick up truck should be banned during this holiday that had gone crazy. When I moved here in 1985 it was only crazy farang in Khao San Road that did the nonsense that happens today.

Deported for this? Sounds like you haven't changed from your 1985 days of being "crazy" on KSR. What a glorious and proud site that must have been back then.

With your ingenious final solution of banning all pick up trucks during Songkran, how will businesses get delivery of their goods?

Duh, it's a holiday Sherlock.

Try drinking a coffee before posting.

So you think no one will be working over the holidays then!

I'd try something a bit stronger than coffee if I were you.

Many places will be open Braniac.

Time for your meds.

If you drive an expensive car, say over 4 million baht then you should be allowed to drink and drive as your vehicle being impounded is just a small inconvenience. As for your licence revoked, again if you can afford a bribe each time the cops pull you over, which is unlikely if you drive an expensive car, another small inconvenience.

If you own a beat up motorcycle and use it to deliver noodles to your customers and drink. Then having your vehicle impounded takes away your only source of income. Your license is revoked, you are wary of driving on main roads due to constant police checkpoints, your business is ruined. You end up returning to the village and doing menial jobs such as rice cutting and construction work.

So my point is, drink driving punishment deters the poor from breaking the laws more than the rich. Suggestion, more expensive cars pulled over and their drivers breathalyzer tested, those tested positive are given a suspended jail and a 1 year ban on their licence. As for poor drivers, points on their license and after a certain amount of points, they're given a 1 year ban and suspended jail sentence. The poor have more to lose, so get less punishment, the rich can afford to lose, and need a stiffer sentence to encourage safer driving.

Just treating the rich man in his Mercedes and the noodle seller on his beat up motorcycle as the same under the law would be a start.

So you think enforcing the rules of the road, on overcrowded roads, is PC?

Okay, if you like violating the Highway Code (The UK driving regulations) try ignoring Rule 160, first four words of the first paragraph, and see how far you get.

Fines are meant to discourage unsafe driving and encourage everyone to abide by the same rules, otherwise we'd have anarchy on the roads!

Oh, and if you think the UK has gone to far with enforcing rules I'd advise you to avoid Germany, they really know how to enforce rules!

So you think no one will be working over the holidays then!

I'd try something a bit stronger than coffee if I were you.

I think he/she is already on something stronger than coffee, such a ridiculous suggestion to ban all pickups.

I think they should spend some time in a jail cell.

Yes, drunk driving automatic jailtime say six months, car impounded and automatic loss of licence for life.

Causing death by drunk driving, ten years jailtime plus above.

Any official caught taking bribes, jailtime two years, plus very heavy fine.

Result. drunk driving offences, and deaths caused by drink driving massively reduced.

I think the laws in the US are pretty good about this. In Nevada, .08% BAC is the threshold. At .05% here, it's too low. And many of the machines don't work. Very dodgy. It's all being done here for money. Pay your fine at the police station (or on the side of the road) and you are free to go on your way....still drunk.

Before they do these draconian laws, the police force needs to be reformed.

I think driver who drink and drive (over the limit of course) should have their driver lic. confiscated and their car impounded for a certain period of time.

Repeat offender should have their car impounded permanently (If it's their own car, if it's someone else, the person should be fined for allowing said drunk person to drive)

Drunk driving is not only dangerous to the driver but everyone around him/her as well.

The survey is useless - since a no, respectively other alternatives are missing.

Impounding the vehicle sounds kind of funny, because in Thailand most cars and a lot of bikes are financed.

How about reporting recurring offenders to the financing companies and banning them from ever financing any vehicle again? Financing companies who still support offenders who were reported to them by the RTP (easy to do with a nation wide database) lose their license. In addition, recurring offenders are restricted from registering vehicles. That would hurt them the most and have serious, and long lasting impact.

I however fear that if the above would be implemented, more than half of Thailand would be on foot... smile.png

Financing doesn't really have much to do with it, and impounding does not necessarily mean a total loss of the vehicle for the owner. After impounding, the owner may pay the towing and storage costs to retrieve the vehicle - unless he is a repeat offender. The point is to get the vehicle away from the drunken idiot for a period of time. Most countries require a process to determine the owner of the vehicle and the disposition of the title before allowing a vehicle to be auctioned or a buy back by the finance company. Title search, which Thailand has, and certified letters in an attempt to give the vehicle's owner an opportunity to pay towing and storage costs and recover the vehicle.

I say go for it.

So what are you . A martian ?! What grudge do you have against farangs ?!! Deported for a minor traffic offence , which in this crazy country is allowed .

Where is it safer for kids , on a motorbike or in the back of a pickup ? I spent my whole working live travelling in the backs of army trucks and transit vans full of tools and never seen anyone hurt because farangs can drive correctly , have lessons and are brought up sitting in a vehicle where their parents drive correctly and mostly politely . The only reason they get hurt in the back of the pickup is the genetically deficient , untrained , rude ignorant people who drive them .

When i drive a pickup with anyone in the back i never go above 80kph and never have the urge to overtake the next vehicle in front of me even if i am turning feft in 100 metres . I am now 61 passed my test in 1977 , had 1 accident which was not my fault .

Better you try to get that chip of your shoulder , must be quite heavy

There should be a Zero tolerance to drink driving, No Alcohol at all, saves any confusion about limits.

Convicted Farangs would face deportation and a ban from re-entering Thailand for 1 year, that would, or should, put a stop to the countless Farangs that drink and drive, the threat of deportation hanging over their heads would stop all but the hopeless Alcoholic who should be taken off the road permanently anyway.

I don't get all these limits, there should be only one limit, Zero Alcohol.

not enough information.

drunk by what margin?

Over whatever the legal limit is, classifies you as drunk, only one category,

so passing a country border can magically make one drunk or not drunk depending on the national laws...

of course the margin is relevant !