Oils on label -- partially hydrogenated or not?

Hal65

I bought some Lactasoy milk from the Tesco express and it shows 1.7% vegetable fat, palm and coconut oil, on the label.

Is there any way to tell from the label if the oils are partially or fully hydrogenated (it does not explicitly say if it is or not)?

Edited by Hal65

in doing more research I found that hydrogenation turns the oil semisolid, when done partially, or fully solid when done fully. Does this mean that the oils in Lactasoy cannot be hydrogenated since it is a liquid?

Yes. If it is heated or cooked, which it most likely is, some oils turn to saturated fats. Best to stay away from all palm oil as it is very toxic to the body. Same goes with soybean oil, the primary oil used in the cooking of food in thailand. Cottonseed is horrific. Canola is slightly better, but I still avoid it. It is very cheap so manufacturers like to use it. From what I hear it is fairly toxic too, when cooked. Best to use only rice bran and olive oil for cooking at home. Both are nutritious and both have hardly any saturated fat even when cooked at high temperatures. Rice bran oil is inexpensive, and found in any good supermarket. I tend to avoid store bought products with the poor quality oils. Seems that the frequent use of these poor oils is just inviting coronary, arterial and other health problems.

Edited by spidermike007

Yes. If it is heated or cooked, which it most likely is, some oils turn to saturated fats. Best to stay away from all palm oil as it is very toxic to the body. Same goes with soybean oil, the primary oil used in the cooking of food in thailand. Cottonseed is horrific. Canola is slightly better, but I still avoid it. It is very cheap so manufacturers like to use it. From what I hear it is fairly toxic too, when cooked. Best to use only rice bran and olive oil for cooking at home. Both are nutritious and both have hardly any saturated fat even when cooked at high temperatures. Rice bran oil is inexpensive, and found in any good supermarket. I tend to avoid store bought products with the poor quality oils. Seems that the frequent use of these poor oils is just inviting coronary, arterial and other health problems.

Having worked in the Oils and Fats industry most of my life I have to challenge some of your statements:

1.Unsaturated oils do not become saturated on heating, but may polymerise hence the black gunge around your wok/frying pan

2.Palm oil and specifically palm olein is the most commonly used oil here for cooking.

3.Canola or low erucic Rapeseed oil is no better than Soyabean oil and if used frequently before disposal produces lots of off flavours

4. Cottonseed oil is an excellent frying oil, which is why McD use it, blended with beef fat (or edible tallow) for flavour.

5 Olive oil is the healthiest oil, but is a salad oil and should not be used for cooking as it has a low smoke point.

6. If you want the benefits of olive oil then use rice bran oil, as it has a higher smoke point, it also has oryzanol and tocotrienols which have added heath benefits

Jonatong.....I would look at it like this. Look at the fat molecule like you would a parking lot. When you break the oxygen down in the process the hydrogen is free to park in one of the spots......so a partialy filled lot or a fully filled lot......the body can break down the empty or partially filled lot more easily....

Jonatong.....I would look at it like this. Look at the fat molecule like you would a parking lot. When you break the oxygen down in the process the hydrogen is free to park in one of the spots......so a partialy filled lot or a fully filled lot......the body can break down the empty or partially filled lot more easily....

Actually, there's very little evidence to indict naturally saturated oils for its alleged bad effects on human health. The case against it was largely trumped by an American doctor. This article is from the Wall Street Journal, but if you don't trust them, there are lots of other sources to corroborate it. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303678404579533760760481486

Transfats - which is how many solid vegetable fats are still manufactured - are bad for one's health. Some, like Crisco, now use naturally saturated vegetable oils.