Generic Wellbutrin in Thailand

SailingHome

While not in MIMS book yet, it appears generic Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is being produced in Thailand this month by 2 different suppliers. Cost seems reasonable at 9,063 Baht for a 1 year supply with VAT. Grateful am I, and I am not the first TV member to order... PM if you need the pharmacy contacts.

As always, I will report medicine and other research findings as I can, and answer PM about health and medicine.

• Thanks 1

Being produced or just imported?

There is an Indian made brand by Sun Pharma, whose usual distributor is Pharmaland.

Unless it has happened very recently, this is not yet registered in Thailand. There are some reports of quality issues with the product.

A note of caution - it has happened that other drugs made (or ostensibly made) in India have been sold by Thai distributors which were in fact either counterfeit or made in an underground lab and substandard. Be sure to verify that the listed manufacturer does in fact produce the product and that the distributor does in fact distribute for that manufacturer.

Being produced or just imported?

There is an Indian made brand by Sun Pharma, whose usual distributor is Pharmaland.

Unless it has happened very recently, this is not yet registered in Thailand. There are some reports of quality issues with the product.

A note of caution - it has happened that other drugs made (or ostensibly made) in India have been sold by Thai distributors which were in fact either counterfeit or made in an underground lab and substandard. Be sure to verify that the listed manufacturer does in fact produce the product and that the distributor does in fact distribute for that manufacturer.

A very good point, Sheryl. In this case being produced in Thailand from sourced API material. I've seen the facilities of both producers and found them quite impressive operations (multiple Class 100 (ISO 5) laminar airflow hoods contained in a Class 1000 (ISO 6) clean rooms.) Certificates of Analyses are obtained for all formula ingredients and sterile products undergo constant independent product testing. 101% and 98.7% purity, no harmful trace contaminents.

Let's hope we see these in local pharmacies soon.

Note, however, both are producing original patent Buproprion, not time released. So, if you use Quomem or Wellbutrin SR now, which is 2x a day, you will be taking it 3x a day instead at the same total mg per day that you take now. Either source will answer questions and lable the bottles with instructions, of course.

Personally, I find that 3x a day is not inconvenient especially when low price with high quality is desired, and as you mentioned, others are doing a bad job - which I suspect is because making time-release is no trivial task.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/4/2016 at 4:19 AM, SailingHome said:

While not in MIMS book yet, it appears generic Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is being produced in Thailand this month by 2 different suppliers. Cost seems reasonable at 9,063 Baht for a 1 year supply with VAT. Grateful am I, and I am not the first TV member to order... PM if you need the pharmacy contacts.

As always, I will report medicine and other research findings as I can, and answer PM about health and medicine

I've love to find the source for Welbuitrn/Qoumen that @SailingHome talked about being THB 9,063 in a post above

I'd appreciate any help someone might offer in locating that. I do live in Chaing Mai, but I am in BKK sometimes.

I went to a local pharmacy, and they had Welbuitrn XL in 150 mg and 300 mg for 1,00 and 1550 respectively, and while that is pretty low, it's way above what @SailingHome talked about.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by dingodingo
I wanted to ad the quite from the previous reply - I didn't know how to do that at frist

On 8/4/2017 at 11:02 PM, Sheryl said:

AFAIK Quomen and Wellbutrin remain the only registered brands of bupropion in Thailand.

Thank you for your help. I'm fine with either Quomen or Well butrin, but what I was asking was where to obtain either of them at the very low price @SailingHome mentioned above. I am interested to know if Well butrin is manufactured in Thailand. I only can find a more expensive version manufactured in Canada.

Thank you very much. Your help is appreciated.

What he was referring to is neither Quomen nor Wellbutrin, neither of which are ever at a low price and neiother of which are manufactured in Thailand. He seems to be referring to some sort of non-FDA approved/quasi legal (or less)  manufacture of generics.

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What he was referring to is neither Quomen nor Wellbutrin, neither of which are ever at a low price and neiother of which are manufactured in Thailand. He seems to be referring to some sort of non-FDA approved/quasi legal (or less)  manufacture of generics.

For me, I would be fine with a Thailand generic. I feel like Thailand drug manufacturing is fine. Especially if the price were significantly lower. I just can't seem to find them in CNX.

@Sheryl do you have previous bad experiences with Thai manufactured drugs?

On 4/4/2016 at 1:46 PM, SailingHome said:

A very good point, Sheryl. In this case being produced in Thailand from sourced API material. I've seen the facilities of both producers and found them quite impressive operations (multiple Class 100 (ISO 5) laminar airflow hoods contained in a Class 1000 (ISO 6) clean rooms.) Certificates of Analyses are obtained for all formula ingredients and sterile products undergo constant independent product testing. 101% and 98.7% purity, no harmful trace contaminents.

Let's hope we see these in local pharmacies soon.

@SailingHome seemed to imply that Thailand was manufacturing generics. Maybe I misunderstood. I was hoping to find what he was referencing above, but also learn from others about their experience with Thai produced medications.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

• 1 year later...

Hello, does anyone have more information on what the situation with bupropion drugs is right now? I am coming to Thailand for three months and according to regulations can only bring 1 month supply of my sustained release 300 mg bupropion medicine (Voxra). Can you buy legit SR bupropion in Thai pharmacies? Dingodingo mentioned Wellbutrin XL. I'm not sure if extended-release is the same as sustained release, but I guess it's better than immediate-release. I don't want to use immediate-release for fear of side effects.

Edited by Brishti

On 9/6/2018 at 10:13 PM, Brishti said:

I am coming to Thailand for three months and according to regulations can only bring 1 month supply of my sustained release 300 mg bupropion medicine (Voxra).

Although I cannot advise you on "regulations", were I you, I would bring a 3 month supply of what you have been taking - without hesitation. Stick with what's working and not trying to find something here.