Honda HRV vs Subaru XV

triffid

Been dithering and postponing the choice of a new car - for mostly town use but occasional road trips around the country; single man with minimal need for space. Originally was going to spend a bit more on a better/bigger car but given that I'm in Thai for no more than 8 months a year, if that, I decided to not do it. The HRV at 1.1m is top of my list, but the XV at 1.3m is close because its AWD seems a big plus for the road cohesion etc. (Unless there's a new model soon to appear which I don't know about I don't want to go over ground I've already covered - e.g. I've considered the CX3 and the X-trail.)

Any thoughts to help me decide?

I test drove an XV not long after it was first introduced and thought it was pleasant enough to drive although it felt underpowered. I bought a 2.0 CRV instead and, although it pains me to say it, I think it's a much better all round car than the XV - it's very comfortable for road trips. HRV looks pretty good but I've not driven one. Honda would probably be easier to sell than Subaru and certainly servicing and spares would be easier. If secondhand is an option then you could get a private sale 2.4 CRV 2013/2014 for under a million.

I test drove an XV not long after it was first introduced and thought it was pleasant enough to drive although it felt underpowered. I bought a 2.0 CRV instead and, although it pains me to say it, I think it's a much better all round car than the XV - it's very comfortable for road trips. HRV looks pretty good but I've not driven one. Honda would probably be easier to sell than Subaru and certainly servicing and spares would be easier. If secondhand is an option then you could get a private sale 2.4 CRV 2013/2014 for under a million.

A 2.4 crv will be real heavy on petrol use. It's worth to try the hr-v. The top model has a full set of airbags unlike the xv (driver's knee airbag + front pair). I understand the xv is good for long trips. A honda would be the most sensible choice if one factors in resale / servicing. The cx-3 is worth a look too - very strong engine, but a bit small inside for some.

Appreciate both sets of comments.

Yes the CRV second hand may be good value but I really don't need the space being the sole passenger in the car nearly all the time.

Subaru has a fully fledged servicing, presumably also an efficient spare parts set-up here in Chiangmai. But still I agree that Honda will be easier - also with regard to resale, though that is the least important factor for me. On the other hand I expect the XV is a tougher vehicle all-round. And a reliable car from a manufacturer with a very solid reputation.

The H-RV's fuller air bag provision is certainly a plus, maybe cancelling out the advantage of AWD in the XV.

I put the h-rv ahead of the CX3 for its greater versatility, space and perhaps also less youthful styling - given that I'm no spring chicken!

Thanks again.

"single man with minimal need for space."

Why you need SUV?blink.png

Honda Civic? New.. Good material qality.

space in back sit for me( 188cm/95kg) alot if even in front sit guy as me..

good handling

faster than HRV or XV

Ford Focus.

New well bild car.. wit turbo

Good handeling. can be litle fun

for 1.4ml you can even Teana V6 buy.

But if you still need Suve.

Subaru( add 100k can get forester with much more spec) but XV nice look car and good handling

CX3 yes its fine car and may be its best SUV for fun drive fro this is money..

Qulity material it good.

ALL it ofcouse my opinion..

sedans are nice then you gotta bring something home that isnt even large and.. and ... well now i gotta hire somechai to deliver it.

Hatchbacks are needed for men without pickups

newer have needs for pick up.

How often you bring something large?

Its can pay for delivery. Its be cheaper.

All normal shopping can be load in sedan.

And OP say his no need big space.

I want a high sitting/driving position (effort at my age to heave myself out of a sedan's low height of seat). Hence an suv/crossover.

I don't need much space so I looked among the smallest suv/crossover I could find with a price under 1.5m. [XV, HRV, CX3, Ecosport, Kia Soul, X-trail]

I thought the AWD would give better road holding on wet roads when on the occasional road trip. But the extra seat bags are also a good safety point.

Edited by triffid

I want a high sitting/driving position (effort at my age to heave myself out of a sedan's low height of seat). Hence an suv/crossover.

I don't need much space so I looked among the smallest suv/crossover I could find with a price under 1.5m. [XV, HRV, CX3, Ecosport, Kia Soul, X-trail]

I thought the AWD would give better road holding on wet roads when on the occasional road trip. But the extra seat bags are also a good safety point.

If 1.5 ml why no look at forester?

X-trail I guess good car but try it.

In my opinion not bestview from the driver's seat.

But its have hybrid ... And Nissan promised 10 year guaranty for battery( as say selesmen)

Subaru AWD in my opinion its better for hold car on wet or snow(iced) road.

Forester assembled in Malaysia

PS

Not think small crossower much up seats.

CX3 its near sedan seats.

So try look CX 5.

Or maybe second hand some?

Its be more option.

1-1.5 m can buy x1 even 2-4 year old 20-40 k on ODO(as subaru hold road) ;)

Or Harrier. ( much up seats and comfort drive.

;)

Just for example.

The XV doesn't sit any higher than a normal saloon car. The HRV is higher.

sedans are nice then you gotta bring something home that isnt even large and.. and ... well now i gotta hire somechai to deliver it.

i just bought 4 2.5m long trees..

fit that in a sedan..

HRV? press handle, seat drops in half a second

done

The xv (220 mm) has a higher ground clearance than the hrv (170mm). That may be important for some, especially in areas prone to flooding.

Edited by DavisH

Jase says the HRV's seats are definitely higher.. Davis confirms the XV's higher ground clearance.

Yes, Chiangmai does flood in some years, but the HRV higher seats would be a daily boon. In fact if the XV's seats are no higher than a sedan's - I find that extremely surprising given its higher ground clearance and just the look of it - that would rule it out.

Jase says the HRV's seats are definitely higher.. Davis confirms the XV's higher ground clearance.

Yes, Chiangmai does flood in some years, but the HRV higher seats would be a daily boon. In fact if the XV's seats are no higher than a sedan's - I find that extremely surprising given its higher ground clearance and just the look of it - that would rule it out.

Just go into the dealers and test them both:) I think overall the hrv scores on more points - better acceleration and better fuel economy compared to the xv, just to name two. The xv is for those who really like the 4wd system and what something a bit different....just don't get the orange onebiggrin.png The dark grey is nice though.

The xv (220 mm) has a higher ground clearance than the hrv (170mm). That may be important for some, especially in areas prone to flooding.

My correction the hrv is 185mm....initially I referred to a foreign website. The honda Thailand website states 185 mm...better than the new honda civic at 125 mmw00t.gif

Can you get the Subaru serviced in most provinces? No... you can't. And this was the sticking point and why I chose the HRV. Honda after sales in Thailand is terrific. Best I have encountered. And not expensive. Until you can get Subaru's serviced outside of the 5-10 major centres then its not worth owning a Subaru. And I have owned many in the past back home and like them a lot for their build quality.

Regarding the HRV, I am very happy with it. It has done 13K since we bought it new last October. For what it is, its great value. Build is good, far better on the road than the lighter Jazz, not hugely powerful but the 1.8L Engine is "perky". After many BKK and Surat Thani runs I can confirm it is ok on the highway and cheap to run. As mentioned after sales service (at least in Hua Hin) is the best I have encountered.

Edited by f0xxee

i just bought 4 2.5m long trees..

fit that in a sedan..

HRV? press handle, seat drops in half a second

done

I am not talking about car for works.

I am not farmer.

So even buy tree .. not have delivery by shop ?

;)

Can you get the Subaru serviced in most provinces? No... you can't. And this was the sticking point and why I chose the HRV. Honda after sales in Thailand is terrific. Best I have encountered. And not expensive. Until you can get Subaru's serviced outside of the 5-10 major centres then its not worth owning a Subaru. And I have owned many in the past back home and like them a lot for their build quality.

Regarding the HRV, I am very happy with it. It has done 13K since we bought it new last October. For what it is, its great value. Build is good, far better on the road than the lighter Jazz, not hugely powerful but the 1.8L Engine is "perky". After many BKK and Surat Thani runs I can confirm it is ok on the highway and cheap to run. As mentioned after sales service (at least in Hua Hin) is the best I have encountered.

MrsL & I were initially interested in both the Subaru & HRV. It boiled down to the fact that there were 2 very well-established Honda dealerships within a 30 km radius of home or a not-yet-open-but-will-open-very-soon Subaru dealership 85 km away. We're in Isaan. That was the deciding factor for us, not at all interested in 'exclusivity'.

I don't know if that Subaru dealership ever opened but, while we see ads. locally for all sorts of makes of car, Subaru isn't among them nor have I seen any locally-registered Subarus on the road.

I'm a bike person rather than car so excitement when driving isn't a factor - I go out on the bike for that. But for everyday use on country roads & open highway, our year-old HRV is excellent. Good in town traffic too. MrsL doesn't like 'fast' (110+ or so) and, for the speeds we do, I can't fault the HRV. For highway use, leaving the transmission in 'D' provides good acceleration, 'S' with paddles is even better but I rarely use it. In town, the 'Brake Hold' feature is great and something I'd look for on any car I might buy in subsequent years. I use cruise control all the time - it's easy to set, alter and switch in & out when needed. We have the EL version of HRV and use Sygic navigation via iPhone on the in-built Display Audio. Works well and connects easily, all route adjustments easily made on the dash screen and voice guidance comes over the phone speaker.

Edited by MartinL

I found the HRV much easier to get in and out of. The XV feels lower like a saloon car.

The seat could be lower even though the chassis is higher off the ground. I checked that stats and the roofline on the xv is actually a little higher than the hrv. I think that has some appeal - low seating position like a sedan but good clearance for flooded roads. But if yoo like to 'sit higher' the hrv may be better. That's hard to tell just from sitting in it though. Would need to drive them to see if that height has real benefit. For sure both sit lower than a ranger:). My civic feels like a sports car getting out of my bil's pjs..

I would drive both vehicles and then buy the one I like the best. I wouldn't worry about resale or service. Service intervals are very long in between so having to drive a ways is not a big deal.

The only bad in the XV it is that is made in Indonesia, and it is lighter than the one made in Japan...My be not have the same strength for bad roads, and in a case of an accident. The All Time 4WD is a plus for stability and breaking. Hard to decide for the same price. Resale for Honda is better.

AWD doesn't really feel all that different to two-wheel drive under dry driving conditions. It comes into its own under wet, slippery winding road conditions. Personally, I prefer AWD; however, it depends on where the OP is and how much travelling in bad road conditions he intends to do.

Used to have the 2.4 CRV and it was a dream to drive. Far better than any of the ones mentioned by the OP

I dithered for a while and went for a HRV. Paid 1000022 baht with cruise control. I didn't appreciate how good it was until I drove some of my friends cars. No regrets.... Drives like jazz.... Bigger and good storage. Can't praise it enough, economical. Whatever you choose I hope it works out well.

Ha ha. Why you proposition
"Shitty car with the" .... with out any normal service?
Why you wish so bad thinks to OP?

wink.png
And far from topic car.
smile.png

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

AWD doesn't really feel all that different to two-wheel drive under dry driving conditions. It comes into its own under wet, slippery winding road conditions. Personally, I prefer AWD; however, it depends on where the OP is and how much travelling in bad road conditions he intends to do.

Having experienced a scary skid on a wet mountain road to be saved by a fortunately placed barrier from going down the mountain - not that long ago on a road trip in this country - I am very prone to preferring the road-holding of AWD. However I'm not going to let that trump everything. Moreover at my rapidly advancing age there'll be fewer road trips and the driving will be more and more leisurely, in shorter spells with every intention of not driving in difficult conditions.

For me what really put the XV in the final shortlist of two was a combination of the AWD, the Subaru reputation of build-quality, the sober and unfussy look, and the high ground clearance. But those things will be negated by a driving-seating height noticeably lower than the HRV's. I shall verify that for myself.

The XV's worse economy, smaller national servicing network and harder resale mattered less to me.

I have now also read above a lot of positive remarks from HRV owners. Pity there hasn't been a plug by an actual XV owner.

I will try out both cars, but I'm tending towards the HRV - which is also cheaper.