Sea Rage

Was on the 7 am Seatran ferry on Friday., travelling from Dongsak to Samui. Raja ferry heading to KPG , came across blowing it's hor, trying to overtake the Seatran ferry across the bow.

Kept on blowing it's horn came very close to our ferry.

Absolute a........hole of a ferry captain endangering so many lifes. He had no right of way.

Article about it in BKK Post.

Could not find the article in the Bangkok Post.

Was he coming from left to right across the bow or right to left?

He was coming from right, but was nowhere near the bow, .

Right of way depends on the angle the Raja ferry crossed/overtook the Seatran ferry. If within 22.5 degrees it is seen as overtaking and Raja should have steered clear. If the angle between them was more than 22.5 degrees it is considered crossing traffic, in which case Raja, being on the starboard side (I assume this from the location of the Raja and Seatran ports in Donsak) would have right of way.

Right of way depends on the angle the Raja ferry crossed/overtook the Seatran ferry. If within 22.5 degrees it is seen as overtaking and Raja should have steered clear. If the angle between them was more than 22.5 degrees it is considered crossing traffic, in which case Raja, being on the starboard side (I assume this from the location of the Raja and Seatran ports in Donsak) would have right of way.

That was my view also. If Raja was overtaking then she had a duty to keep clear. If Raja was on the Starboard bow of Seatran, she had right of way and Seatran should have altered course to pass astern of Raja.

That was my view also. If Raja was overtaking then she had a duty to keep clear. If Raja was on the Starboard bow of Seatran, she had right of way and Seatran should have altered course to pass astern of Raja.

I just found the story on Bangkok post. Search for chicken at sea. The story makes it even more confusing and the video is too short.

There are rules and then there are rules.

The first and foremost is the captian is responsible for the safety of all aboard his vessel.. To do what the captain of Raja did was breaking the safety of persons aboard rule for sure. To do something like that in open water is just foolish and dangerous for no real reason.

Maybe a little too much competitive spirit between two rival companies. Good reason to check location of life vests when using either of their services. Equipment and safety procedures seem to have improved on both lately, maybe a little more training would be good? Or maybe they were just hazing a new second mate - keep going Tiger!

14600053371460005664l.jpg

SURAT THANI — Marine authorities yesterday suspended two ferry captains for engaging in a race on their way to Phangan island last weekend.

A captain for Seatran company has his license to operate commerical ships suspended for two years for starting the race with a boat from a rival firm called Raja Ferry, while the latter ship’s captain also lost the license for six months for taking up the challenge, an official said.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1460005337&typecate=06%C2%A7ion=

14600053371460005664l.jpg

SURAT THANI — Marine authorities yesterday suspended two ferry captains for engaging in a race on their way to Phangan island last weekend.

A captain for Seatran company has his license to operate commerical ships suspended for two years for starting the race with a boat from a rival firm called Raja Ferry, while the latter ship’s captain also lost the license for six months for taking up the challenge, an official said.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1460005337&typecate=06%C2%A7ion=

Both heading to KPG ? Funny , I was on Seatran & we ended up in Samui.Raja was heading to KPG.

Archived