Wrong way! Car stuck after driver follows GPS down Nonthaburi footbridge

webfact

following tomtom, 5 years ago, I got struck as well between ayuttaya and pa in, on the bank of a river! people there helped us push the car out of mud (no pickup)!

but to be honest, as soon as face that bridge, I'm sure I would have turned back!

This is as good as the women from out of town in Seattle that drove her rental car down a boat ramp into the water - 'Why didn't you just stop?' 'Well - the gps said to keep going that way so I did'.

The only time my GPS let me down was in Ratchaburi where it said "turn left" which had I followed the instructions would have come as somewhat of a surprise to the owners of the gold shop where the left turn supposedly was as I careened through their plate glass window.

Edited by mca

It reminds me of the time I was driving on a normal road and the GPS told me to drive into the adjacent canal which I did, at speed....... well I didn't actually because I don't drive with Thainess.

Perhaps an example, at the extreme, of the singular focus of Thai drivers to get where they want to go regardless of what is going on around them, like driving on wrong side of the road. This is also an interesting case that is counter-factual to the inability of most Thai drivers to connect the left side of their cars to the edge of the road and make left turns from one lane over from the far left to make sure they do not hit the curb.

It reminds of the time I was driving a long left hand curve on the edge of a steep cliff face; and the whole time the GPS was telling me to bear right.

Perhaps Canadian GPS units have the savage animal warning option?

A few years back a friend of mine was going upcountry to visit his GF. He had been there before with me as a map-reader. This time he was going alone so he bought a GPS. We had used 6 hours the first time, This time he used 12 hours finding himself driving on dirt roads next to motorways, and taking scenic routes around lakes an hills. Constantly crossing motorways, but never entering them. Upon arrival he found some time to fiddle around with the GPS, and he then found out that it was preset to not use motorways or tollroads. I've always considered him a sensible man, but this shows what you can do if you trust technology blindly; He laught of it afterwards saying, "at least I got there".

"However, the identity of the driver remains unknown."......what is the point of registration then?

I assume registration would give the name of the owner, not necessarily the driver...

That's true but in the vast majority of cases the owner is also the driver. Thais don't like to lend their cars to others, not even family members in case they go out and crash their cars (it happens too often here). Which is why I don't allow anyone to drive my car except one or two members of my wife's family and even then only when I am out of the country and/or if I'm travelling in the car with them. That's very rare though because they would rather have me drive all the time, where possible.

I guess it was the GPS's Fault..... or the Road's Fault .. but never the Driver's Fault.... Good thing is that the driver did manage to stay on the Track considering what I see on the Road daily....

Why would you think a Thai driver has to look the road when using GPS