True visions fiber optic or satellite TV

Old Man River

Truevisions has been expanding their usage of fiber optic cables to bring their tv services into the home. I now can choose one or the other. Costs aside (still checking), anybody have any experience with truevisions fiber optic TV in a residential home (not condo)?

Thank you Patyh. I have talked with True and their marketing is bundling fiber optic with their internet and mobile phone services. Since we are already under contracts with TOT and AIS, it would end up costing us more to get fiber optic cable, even though it is cheaper for them.

At some point they will target the market segment we are in and then, based on what I could find out (including your comments), we would make the switch from satellite to cable.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Lucky you, OMR...

I'm in the heart of downtown BKK, and AFAICT, True's fiber cable is no where near my home.

I've called them periodically to ask about it, and the last time we chatted, they basically told me that they only had fiber in a few selected moo bahns and condo buildings around Bangkok.

It irks me some that for months now they've been advertising their regular consumer internet product as "Fiber Internet" very prominently when they're actually talking about their same old co-ax cable internet. They may have fiber as part of their system as some point way back up the line, but the connections that actually reach out to most of their customers and up and down the roads, at least in BKK, seem to still be the same old cable.

Actually they do have fiber optic to home available in Bangkok as had it installed to replace my ADSL last week here. That said they did offer the old coax/fiber system as a connection one house down so no install charge - I opted to run the extra 300 meters to nearest fiber point. As they had offered free change to fiber in letter there was much discussion on if/how much extra I would have to pay and when it got down to the 1,000 baht range said go. And yes this is fiber optic to home modem/router (coax cable from there to TV for video service). It also includes a 02 phone line in the 30M package. I opted for the Smart TV package as had stations wife interested in.

I have not watched but wife is happy and all cable stations are available (seems there are less when use satellite?). The internet is good 30M at most times.

As they had offered free change to fiber in letter...

Lopburi, are you saying True sent you some kind of promotional offer/solicitation in the mail re the possibility of changing over to all fiber?

BTW, the real question with True is just how widespread their FTTH service is in Bangkok. Last time I checked with them a few months ago, it was pretty minimal in terms of coverage/locations. Perhaps you got lucky in terms of your location.

But, in light of your report, I guess I'll call them and inquire for an update.

They have the same normal free offer promotion for new customers for combination - but letter was offering fiber optic to replace ADSL that we had for many years (and paying above current price). Took the offer as a chance to obtain TV service after losing C-Band pay service from GMMZ. AIS/3BB/True have all had local promotions in our area recently so believe they all have fiber strung, but perhaps only to end of Soi.

I guess my point was, most likely the REASON you got the mailed promotion from True to your home was because they had recently opened fiber service to your locale, and were hoping to enlist new/upgraded customers.

In my neighborhood, I know 3BB has fiber, but I've never heard a peep from them. And True has consistently told me when calling that they don't serve my central BKK area with FTTH.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually they do have fiber optic to home available in Bangkok as had it installed to replace my ADSL last week here. That said they did offer the old coax/fiber system as a connection one house down so no install charge - I opted to run the extra 300 meters to nearest fiber point. As they had offered free change to fiber in letter there was much discussion on if/how much extra I would have to pay and when it got down to the 1,000 baht range said go. And yes this is fiber optic to home modem/router (coax cable from there to TV for video service). It also includes a 02 phone line in the 30M package. I opted for the Smart TV package as had stations wife interested in.

I have not watched but wife is happy and all cable stations are available (seems there are less when use satellite?). The internet is good 30M at most times.

Lopburi, I was told by several at True that I would not be able to switch to fiber optic from satellite unless I also subscribe to True for my internet and telephone. In essence, they were bundling their other products with their TV product. As I'm already under contracts to TOT and AIS. I passed.

They said bundling is good for condos, but not for existing houses with existing contracts.