Bangkok During Songkran -- Avoiding Water

JayBird

My first year in Bangkok I wanted nothing to do with Songkran, stayed in my flat all day and only went out later on in the evening.

Last year I went to Siam and had an absolute blast. Spent the whole day soaked. Watching the young Thai guys perving as they splashed and rub the paste over the women was funny as hell. Everyone seemed to take it in good spirit.

Went to the pub under the Sala dang BTS station for a beer to get out of it for a while, spent about 2 hours on the balcony there getting wet inside and out.

People who snarled or growled got 10 times wetter than those who didn't.

My advice would be, enjoy it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stay off the public buses. When I first came and had a job interview dressed in a skirt suit took local bus on lad prao st .The woman who collected fares brought her son to work He had a large squirt gun. Seeing me he yelled faring and shot water at me. I kept telling your as I didn't know any Thai, while trying to hid under the seat backs. Got totally soaked, had to go home cancel interview.

For 7 years now I have escaped to various cities in Vietnam. Have never found a city there that does Songkran

Firstly, you'll be far more relaxed if you place your phone and wallet in a Zip-lock bag, just in case.

And if you get splashed - accept your fate and take it like someone who enjoys life.

If people are 'playing water' outside the front of your condo, get security to call a Taxi to your door, or use Grab Taxi or Uber.

More often than not - in 'normal areas'... If someone is 'playing water' and you don't wish to get wet, you can smile, put your hand up and you will be spared...however, there are no guarantees at this time, idiots are everywhere !

Avoid tourist areas where its a given that you'll get soaked (Silom, Koh Sarn, Siam etc)

I never thought of that Perhaps I'll spend a couple of days travelling around on the BTS.I will get to see paets of BKK I have noe seen and the thought of a "Soggy Hottie" sitting next to me is a bonus

You'll be fine inside shopping Malls - no one throws water inside.

You ‘should’ be fine on the BTS, but others will be wet and you might get upset when a soggy hottie brushes up against you…

China Town - you'll likely get a moderate soaking !

Edited by biplanebluey

Somebody did mention that it's no good going to Laos or Cambodia or Vietnam (??) because they also do the water thing there.

Laos - no Idea

Cambodia - lots of people leave PP and Siem Reap to go back to the province. There is little water thrown and just a little powder

Vietnam - They celebrate Chinese New Year, not Thai/Lao/Cambodian New Year

Your best bet is to 1) stay indoors during the day and 2) avoid the farang bar areas (Nana, Cowboy).

Very little (to none) water-throwing takes place after the sun sets, except among friends. This is mostly even true of the farang bar areas...but if you absolutely want to avoid losing your temper with A-holes overdoing it, again, avoid these areas. Most of the worst offenders are farangs.

I'm surprised no one's

come out with the old

'Songkran used to be

about a respectful

pouring of water over

the hands' bullshit

It did, and still is that way within families and among friends. I've participated in it as such many times. How fluent is your Thai?

I'm surprised no one's

come out with the old

'Songkran used to be

about a respectful

pouring of water over

the hands' bullshit

It did, and still is that way within families and among friends. I've participated in it as such many times. How fluent is your Thai?

Everyone on ThaiVisa speaks fluent Thai.

My immediate and extended family all love the whole water-fight thing.

My wife's grandmother squirts people from her balcony.

Why not use the time to take a few 2nd or 3rd class train tours around Thailand. There is (was) a really great thread from a guy who was doing just that. Search the forum and check it out as an alternative. Good chance to see a more real version of Thailand than Bangkok.

i get so very tired of this old saw - how can the capital city with a mix of thais from all over be any less 'real' than any other part of the country.

Is Issan the real thailand- a land of farmers and rice? how about sukhothai?

rayong or ranong? Hatyai? pattaya?

maybe the southern islands are the real thailand?

damnit, will the real thailand please stand up

I think the whole 'real Thailand' thing is just something people say to convince themselves they enjoy living a boring life in the middle of nowhere.

I think the whole "...boring life in the middle of nowhere." thing is just an attempt by urban-dwellers living empty, consumer-based lives to feel better about themselves.

Yeah. My life would be so much fuller in a village where I had no-one to talk to and everyone was in bed by 9pm.

You'd have the Soi Dogs to keep you company.

And they aren't in bed. They are in their house watching Thai Drama....... I'd rather face a Soi Dog with a limp stick than watch Thai Drama...

Also, there are 'many' Thailands (historically I think it was 4 different kingdoms?) So I guess there is no 'real' Thailand. (Just like there is no 'Real' America).

That being said: I don't normally loose my Temper (i'm not a mad animal guys!). But I might get a bit irate if someone comes up to me from behind and sticks a water gun at me and shoots point blank when I am not in the 'obvious party zone' and I'm just trying to go on about my business :) Its also why I asked to make sure: If I know it will be mayhem, I'll take extra precautions (if not just for myself, but to spare going ballistic on a poor drunken thai :P )

Hmm.. Netflix, KFC Delivery, Could be fun :)

Word of advice. If you don't like getting wet. Better to stay home. I see tourists who do not understand the idea of water.

They get mad and the people will throw more and more on them.

If you go out, bag your phone and cash. Wear shorts and T-shirt. Smile and be nice.

Remember, we are guests in this Amazing country. This is a great time for Thai's to be with their families and friends.

They like it when tourists enjoy with them. Have Fun.

Another one of the "we are "guests" in this country brigade. Get a life mate.

I'm fine with the whole water-gun getting-wet thing *IF* I wan to participate. It's the 'you're participating even if you don't want to' part that I dislike. If I was in Pattaya and fully wanted to play at it for half a day, then that would be one thing. But if I want to get on with my day and do normal things (and not have my phones/gadgets that I always carry turned into garbage) and get hosed down against my will: Then I get annoyed smile.png

Any Farang who throws water at you after you made it obvious to him that you don't want to participate, a very sore face is in order.

Is it possible in Bangkok to avoid water? Can't do it Chiang Mai unless one holes up in a room for days. There will be some random splashing starting Monday for sure.

Fortunately the retina ripping large PVC pipes were banned but I wear eye protection. I still enjoy it every few years but wish it was shorter. It basically blows the whole week (good luck getting anything productive done). There is no limit and every year it seems to get worse where years ago one could safely go out after dark. Had an experience where we had a reservation at a nice restaurant and went home to change venturing out after dark. Got soaked in Tuk-Tuk on the way there and had to spend an uncomfortable dinner wet in freezing AC. Everything gets wet, the moat water we have here ringing the old city is foul and sickens some people. (Ice water most of the time!)

The parades and and temple fairs are great but what once was a spiritual event of extreme cultural significance has degenerated into drunken mayhem. In my estimation largely due to alien influences. In this regard I agree with the General.

The worst behaviour usually demonstrated by so-called "Frangs".For example...

* Some dork in front of a restaurant who kept spraying me in the face decided to try and open a Thai couple's car door to attack. Husband came out and screamed at him, though he "Jai yen Jai yen" 'ed his way out of a thrashing.

* One year on last day of Songkhran well after dark (like 9:30PM) drunk Farang marauded like Pirates and boarded Songthaews in front of a backpacker type bar and bucket-soaked entire truckloads of dry Thai people.

* Falung jerks who went out of their way to soak elderly western tourists who clearly don't want it and were begging them to leave them alone.

If one could somehow get out of town the roads are highways of death and every year Chiang Mai province has a high bodycount.

Riding a bike you are going to encounter sudden deep puddles and loss of traction whilst simultaneously gormless Farnungs shoot water at your head.

Pray someone does not have a sudden emergency and need an ambulance as the city is completely gridlocked most of the day. No place is safe from water. For those not interested it would be a good time to rent a bungalow way out in the countryside/resort somewhere and relax, or maybe fly to Singapore.

post-84769-14600218769394_thumb.jpg

Edited by arunsakda

Come to terms with the fact that if you leave the house, there's a decent chance of you getting wet. Put your phone and wallet into a waterproof bag (honestly just leave the phone at home), and just go with it. You never know, you might have some fun! Getting angry and irate is utterly, utterly pointless.