Hottest day of the year?

emilymat

According to today's weather stats it maxed at 33ºC today which is a fairly typical temperature for this time of year. Of course that's a shade temperature in an area not affected by heat radiation off roads and buildings, so you're local temperature can be a lot higher. Currently it's showing 31ºC

The humidity is fairly low today, so that helps to make it more pleasant.

April is the hottest month of the year in Pattaya with an average high of 33ºC. The record was in 1998 with 40ºC

Edit: Should have mentioned, it will make a big difference if you live inland (darkside) or close to the sea. I see it's 35 - 36ºC in Bangkok.

Edited by tropo

You happy fellows, I am envy.

The latest value from Thai met for Pattaya: 33.6 (93 F) at 16:00h.

It's measured on Pattaya hill (not on your veranda tongue.png ).

Somewhere between 38 C and 40 C (104 F) is the "official" temperature at our place!

And the worst is yet to come.

Hottest day of the year in total:

for Bangkok it has always been spot on at 26 or 27 April (sun at peak and day with highest electricity consumption of the year, new record expected of course).

To the praise of the OP.
Seems possible that it is the hottest day in Pattaya so far this year:

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_weather_stat.php?StationNumber=48461

Edited by KhunBENQ

It's that time of year folks.

I hope this year the rains arrive, in May/June as per a 'normal' monsoon season unlike the last two/three years which were unbearable.

This is why we decided to leave Thailand for Europe before the crazy hot weather arrived. Even in our last week in mid - March it was getting hot...now in the UK we're enjoying mild, wet, but still cold weather and should return to Thailand in August when there is (hopefully) daily, cooling rain.

Enjoy gents, don't forget to keep hydrated and stay cool when possible....

Beautiful day in Pattaya today if you have nothing to do, clear blue sky, baking hot sun, but with is a nice breeze.

Just been laying by the condo pool, very quiet and peaceful

Even dreadful advertising vans seen to have had the day off from blaring out their garbled crap (usually 20 a day going past my building)

Live is good

>>your in the shade ?<<..no Sansai ,out in the suburbs which maybe a touch cooler than the City center ,because of lots of water filled rice fields around ..Your 104 F translates as 40c .

It's that time of year folks.

I hope this year the rains arrive, in May/June as per a 'normal' monsoon season unlike the last two/three years which were unbearable.

This is why we decided to leave Thailand for Europe before the crazy hot weather arrived. Even in our last week in mid - March it was getting hot...now in the UK we're enjoying mild, wet, but still cold weather and should return to Thailand in August when there is (hopefully) daily, cooling rain.

Enjoy gents, don't forget to keep hydrated and stay cool when possible....

Fortunately Pattaya doesn't have a "monsoon season". We have wetter and drier months, but nothing remotely monsoonal.

post-34982-0-79162600-1459855696_thumb.p

post-34982-0-25092500-1459855697_thumb.p

Thanks for those replies. It's clearly all relative. My house on the darkisde justs seems to heat up during the day like those old fashioned electric heaters that warmed up bricks that then slowly discharged the heat. (Forget what they were called)

I suppose living alone and having to do the daily 'tasks' around the house doesn't help and makes it feel much hotter at times than lazing by a pool or simply having a beer.

Guess I'm just a poor old s.d. However, I still prefer it to being cooped up in a flat in the UK during a dreary wet, dull, winter day. clap2.gif

Thanks for those replies. It's clearly all relative. My house on the darkisde justs seems to heat up during the day like those old fashioned electric heaters that warmed up bricks that then slowly discharged the heat. (Forget what they were called)

Night storage heaters biggrin.png

...it is all relative...traveling in nothern Europe this week, people saying 'nice that spring is coming blah blah' - this

morning cloudy, little mist, and mercury set to 4deg C...

just to make you all feel better about the local temperature;-)

>>your in the shade ?<<..no Sansai ,out in the suburbs which maybe a touch cooler than the City center ,because of lots of water filled rice fields around ..Your 104 F translates as 40c .

Water filled rice fields, where are you? lots of parched rice fields where I am, none with any water! sad.png

I personally love the weather but then I have a pool which I only use when the sun is out. 15 minutes at a time though. Never looked healthier - sporting a nice tan.

I regret being so concerned about healthy looking tans when I was younger. You may look healthier, but you get payback for all that UV abuse.

I think the weather (heat) right now is exactly on average for April. The rainfall is definitely down, keeping the humidity lower, so overall it's more pleasant than it could be. Wait until that rain comes and pushes the humidity into the 80%'s and higher. Even at lower temps it's more miserable than the dry heat.

Edited by tropo

I personally love the weather but then I have a pool which I only use when the sun is out. 15 minutes at a time though. Never looked healthier - sporting a nice tan.

I regret being so concerned about healthy looking tans when I was younger. You may look healthier, but you get payback for all that UV abuse.

I think the weather (heat) right now is exactly on average for April. The rainfall is definitely down, keeping the humidity lower, so overall it's more pleasant than it could be. Wait until that rain comes and pushes the humidity into the 80%'s and higher. Even at lower temps it's more miserable than the dry heat.

i know what you mean about sun damage but at my age (70's) I need all the fake healthy look I can get .....and after many years of sun I have already had damage but no longer care about it as am told it is benign. But agree it can be scary and certain precautions are indeed wise in this extreme sun weather.

i know what you mean about sun damage but at my age (70's) I need all the fake healthy look I can get .....and after many years of sun I have already had damage but no longer care about it as am told it is benign. But agree it can be scary and certain precautions are indeed wise in this extreme sun weather.

I'm lucky too - my age is making my sun-damaged skin less of a problem. biggrin.png

My wife is absolutely paranoid about the sun. She's fair skinned and will wear SPF 30 - 50 AFTER 5pm when we walk in the park, in the shade LOL. I say, "don't worry... the sun sets in one hour - the sun is now very weak".. but she's not having any of it.

^ Ask her to google "sun screen damages skin" then what can she do if she believes what she reads, personally I don't use sun screen and have lived and worked in the sun for 35 years, including many, many days of golf in Thailand, unfortunatley my skin does resemble a walrus thumbsup.gif

^ Ask her to google "sun screen damages skin" then what can she do if she believes what she reads, personally I don't use sun screen and have lived and worked in the sun for 35 years, including many, many days of golf in Thailand, unfortunatley my skin does resemble a walrus thumbsup.gif

She Googles - it's her favourite app.

There's more to it than sun "damage". Fair skinned Asians want to stay that way. Also, about 40% of SE Asians suffer from melasma - that's a cosmetic problem rather than damage and ladies aren't too happy about it. Sun can either cause it or exacerbate the condition.

It's funny how a few degrees makes the difference. played golf today around midday (walking and not my tee time as I would choose either much earlier or later).

Now I've been doing this for 7 years but today I was completely exhausted when I came off. When I got home at 3.30pm it was 106f in shade (old money) on my porch, which I think is about 41c.

That jump of 3-5 degrees c, over the last couple of weeks makes all the difference to me.

Either that, or I'm just getting older!

There is something to be said for a nice spring day in the UK at the moment!. But, I can't have it both ways and I'll grin and bear it.

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park it was 27C/80.6 F at 7am and by 2 pm it was 43C or 109.4 F in old money. Fortunately the humidity was down to about 30%.

Just to make my day I have had no water delivery from anyone for nearly 6 weeks though the fire trucks are working 8 hours a day 5 days a week and to really make my day the house water pump simply gave up the ghost and just sat there.

Tomorrow I am off to Global House to get it replaced as the motor has a 5 years guarantee and the pump itself is only 7 months old.

The good news is that there is plenty of whisky, rum, soda, coke, ice and a box of wine in the fridge.

Chai Yo Songkran.

Edited by billd766

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong national park it was 27C/80.6 F at 7am and by 2 pm it was 43C or 109.4 F in old money. Fortunately the humidity was down to about 30%.

Just to make my day I have had no water delivery from anyone for nearly 6 weeks though the fire trucks are working 8 hours a day 5 days a week and to really make my day the house water pump simply gave up the ghost and just sat there.

Tomorrow I am off to Global House to get it replaced as the motor has a 5 years guarantee and the pump itself is only 7 months old.

The good news is that there is plenty of whisky, rum, soda, coke, ice and a box of wine in the fridge.

Chai Yo Songkran.

That really is tough. I hope you get it sorted asap.. Of course our USA cousins on this forum still deal in 'old money'. Even the BBC world weather forecast converts to f for the USA and c for the rest of us.