Hottest day of the year?

emilymat

I don't even check the thermometer anymore.

I feel it's well above 40 C (104 F).

42.2 says the web for yesterday and no relief in sight.

Another one degree C more in the forecast.

Every evening when I start the well pump there are those exciting few seconds until the water flows up facepalm.gif (to the tank).

Others in the village have started to shuttle water in big plastic tanks on the pickup from their wells out in the (sugar cane) fields.

On our other plot it took about 4h to fill 400 liters of water from the village water pipe.

Used for watering the vegetable garden.

Maybe sometime soon we will have to shuttle water from here to there blink.png

Touch wood: no power outages.

The place becomes unlivable without power.

Edited by KhunBENQ

It's funny how a few degrees makes the difference. played golf today around midday (walking and not my tee time as I would choose either much earlier or later).

Now I've been doing this for 7 years but today I was completely exhausted when I came off. When I got home at 3.30pm it was 106f in shade (old money) on my porch, which I think is about 41c.

That jump of 3-5 degrees c, over the last couple of weeks makes all the difference to me.

Either that, or I'm just getting older!

There is something to be said for a nice spring day in the UK at the moment!. But, I can't have it both ways and I'll grin and bear it.

I play golf regular as well, my theory is that once it gets above body temperature (~37, 99f) I struggle to stay cool and comfortable, guess your body has to work extra hard to compensate? sure there is a technical explanation?

my theory is that once it gets above body temperature (~37, 99f) I struggle to stay cool and comfortable

A bit too simple.

Temperatures in the mid 20s C are felt comfortable (like 25 C / 77 F).

No sweating, no cool/cold feeling.

The body is constantly generating heat that has to be transmitted to the environment.

And so the sweating, feeling "hot" starts long before reaching 37 C ambient temperature.

This is still too simple. Temperature alone does not describe feeling hot/cold.

The whole topic is quite complicated.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I don't know how you guys get your temperature readings, and of course it will vary on the location, but official temperatures for Pattaya are taken in the shade away from any heat radiation (away from the ground or buildings), and the official temperature max today was 34 °C. That's one °C below the average for April 11, and 2 °C below the all time record set in 1996. I don't see any reason for people to be complaining about the temperature any more than any other year. Temperatures don't vary much at this latitude. Of course if you're standing in the sun on a golf course, it will read over 40 °C. There's nothing alarming about that.

My downstairs room temperature (bottom of 3 stories, no sun) was exactly the same temperature as it has been for the last week. 30.6 °C in the early afternoon with humidity low, in the 50's.

post-34982-0-63631500-1460389329_thumb.p

The forecast until and including Saturday is for 34 °C, then Sunday (17th) 37 °C and the next 3 days 36 °C. Perfect, extra hot weather for Songkran. Yippeee!!

Edit: another weather forecast site had maximums a few degrees lower than the above.

Edited by tropo

I found this very interesting:

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/warmest-places-on-earth-average-annual-temperature

WARMEST LOCATIONS IN IMPORTANT SUB REGIONS

8. Asia (outside of the Arabian Peninsula): Klong Thoey, Bangkok, Thailand: 30.3°C/86.5°F (POR 1981-2010).
13.59°N, 100.42°E

Nellore, India with a 29.2°C (84.6°F) annual average for the POR of 1961-1990 is/was the warmest location in India. Later POR data for Nellore is not available. During the past 30 years, thanks to urbanization, Bangkok Metropolis and specifically the downtown Bangkok Klong Thoey station, have seen their annual average temperatures rise higher than Nellore.

Outside of the Arabian Peninsula, it now appears Bangkok (specifically the downtown Klong Thoey site) has become the hottest site in Asia thanks to the Bangkok’s massive urbanization over the past 30 years (the metro population is estimated to be around 10 million). Daily high temperatures reach 33°C (90°F) almost everyday of the year and the actual average annual temperature year around in Klong Thoey District is a sweltering 30.3°C (86.5°F) according to the most recent POR of 1981-2010.

Pattaya weather is actually not too bad compared to other places in the Kingdom.

Yes, I checked Khon Kaen temps, which were 38 °C today, and even forecasted to reach 41 °C next week.

In actual fact, the temperatures are about average for this time of year with less rainfall, which keeps humidity lower.

The highest recorded temperature for April 19 is 35 °C. The average is 33 °C, and it reached 34 °C today. The lows this week are 2 degrees above average at 29 °C.

Pattaya weather is actually not too bad compared to other places in the Kingdom.

Yes, I checked Khon Kaen temps, which were 38 °C today, and even forecasted to reach 41 °C next week.

In actual fact, the temperatures are about average for this time of year with less rainfall, which keeps humidity lower.

The highest recorded temperature for April 19 is 35 °C. The average is 33 °C, and it reached 34 °C today. The lows this week are 2 degrees above average at 29 °C.

Folks don't realise how much the weather varies in this country, Pattaya doesn't get as hot as the North of Thailand but it is far more humid (which obviously makes it feel hotter) on average Pattaya has about 20% more humidity the the N, NE. The NE at this time of year is more like a desert climate, hot (very) & dry.

Folks don't realise how much the weather varies in this country, Pattaya doesn't get as hot as the North of Thailand but it is far more humid (which obviously makes it feel hotter) on average Pattaya has about 20% more humidity the the N, NE. The NE at this time of year is more like a desert climate, hot (very) & dry.

It doesn't vary much really. Just hot and hotter.smile.png Hot with no rain all over Thailand right now.

If you use a heat index, a hotter temperature up north is equal to a lower temperature in Pattaya with high humidity. "how it feels" is key.

Also, although daily maximum temperatures will be hotter (than Bangkok) in some locations, the hottest place in Asia is in Bangkok. i.e. that's the hottest average daily temperature for the year.

8. Asia (outside of the Arabian Peninsula): Klong Thoey, Bangkok, Thailand: 30.3°C/86.5°F (POR 1981-2010).

13.59°N, 100.42°E

Desert climate in N-Thailand? I don't think you ever experienced a desert climate , try Las Vegas, 0% humidity and 44 degrees C. That's more like it.

Edited by balo

0% humidity, your having a laugh! clap2.gif

The only deserts I have been in are in Kuwait, Saudia, Egypt & off course here in Isaan! Obviously not proper mens deserts like Vegas! rolleyes.gif

Just out of curiosity I had a look at some temperatures in desert climates and found 0% humidity today in Adrar, Algeria. Apparently it has a similar climate to Death Valley, California.

Just after 9 am today, Algerian time:

post-34982-0-99155000-1461572456_thumb.p

Edited by tropo

Had the coolest day earlier this year and now the hottest.

It is surprising that the coolest days and hottest days can be quite close together on the calendar. In 2011 we had an unusual cold spell in March.

It is surprising that the coolest days and hottest days can be quite close together on the calendar. In 2011 we had an unusual cold spell in March.

I will not forget this catastrophic 2011.

11 March 2011 big Tsunami in Japan, Fukushima nuclear plants flooded.

12 March 2011 my oneway flight to Thailand.

Starting about 16 March: coldest March temperatures in decades.

Autumn 2011, THE huge flood, biggest insurance disaster ever, Don Mueang flooded.

Starting from May 2014 up to now: worst drought in decades.

BTW:

Jan 24 this year, worst cold spell overall I can remember.

Heater on in the car.

Really cold wind.

A week in Pattaya with jacket on, just a short dip in the deserted pool.

End of March or so: first day with 40 C at home.

Just a little more than two months from cold to hot.

Will there ever be "normal" years in Thailand?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I will not forget this catastrophic 2011.

11 March 2011 big Tsunami in Japan, Fukushima nuclear plants flooded.

12 March 2011 my oneway flight to Thailand.

Starting about 16 March: coldest March temperatures in decades.

Autumn 2011, THE huge flood, biggest insurance disaster ever, Don Mueang flooded.

Starting from May 2014 up to now: worst drought in decades.

BTW:

Jan 24 this year, worst cold spell overall I can remember.

Heater on in the car.

Really cold wind.

A week in Pattaya with jacket on, just a short dip in the deserted pool.

End of March or so: first day with 40 C at home.

Just a little more than two months from cold to hot.

Will there ever be "normal" years in Thailand?

I couldn't remember the dates, but yes, middle of March, only a few weeks from the hottest temperatures of the year in April.

The longest cold spell (perhaps cool is a better word) I can remember was December 2013 - January 2014. That was the only time I've considered buying a space heater in Thailand - for my wife). I loved every minute of it.

The March 2011 I do remember quite well for personal reasons as described.

It was my "start in Thailand" tongue.png

18 March 2011, 18:52h

Sitting in the room (too cold outside).

Windows and curtains closed.

Long sleeves and trousers, socks!!!

Surreal when I look at it today biggrin.png

post-99794-0-31761100-1461728172_thumb.j