Chiang Mai doctor for kidney stones

mania

While doing an ultrasound to check something unrelated I was shown that I have 3 kidney stones in my right kidney ranging in

size from 0.6 to 0.9cm (2 in kidney & 1 in renal pelvic or the funnel from kidney before the drop into your ureter)

I think they have been there quite awhile since last year when I had the physical package at Rahj the doc said

all looked good except that I had a few red blood cells in my urine sample so that could suggest kidney stones.

Has anyone here had similar & can tell me if this is something to let be & pass on its own or go find a doctor with

that lithotripsy shockwave type machine to break them up?

I searched & saw the recommendation for Dr, Bunnakit but an older post.

Is he still active in Chiang Mai? Is he considered the best choice in Chiang Mai?

Any Others?

I did also have a CT KUB scan done to verify all of this at the *New* Hospital but was not impressed with the young

doctor there for many reasons

Thanks for any info/suggestions wink.png

Can't answer you questsion exactly but 18 months ago I had my gall bladder removed which had 7 stones, one very large and the gall bladder was gangerous causing multiple infections to other parts of my body including the kidneys.Dr Morgan, my local Dr, recommended Dr Trichak at RAM who I belive pioneered Ladcrospic surgery in Chiang Mai.

He is also,I believe, a professor teaching at CMU. I found him to be incredibly professional and since have had other pass on the same opinion.

Stupidly I had had warning of a small stone 10 years ago and told to keep an eye on it which obviously I did not do.

Removal has changed by life and confirmed not to put things off or forget !

Ouch Mania; as when they really drop further, you will want to go to any hospital nearby.

I've had my experience and went to Teppanya. Emergency was crowded and I was kept crawling to and fro the toilet for a while untill I got a shot of whatever that got me rid of that horrible pain. To pee or not to pee.

Stayed overnight on pain drugs and the next morning the 'stone' had gone thru.

Doctor did later on an echo and it seemed no more stones there. Gave me Alopurinol to avoid for the future.

So to actually answer your question...see my first line. Alopurinol Thai brand is very cheap. Might consider a typical diet.......it comes anyway (the stones) I guess if not for all of us of course.

If you can get hold of the homeopathic remedy Quercus in the right strength - possibly by ordering it online from a reputable homeopathic supplier overseas, I'd suggest you give that a try first.

Please, those of you who don't support alternative remedies leave this thread alone - a family member whose stones did not react to lithotriptor treatment and who was is desperate pain was recommended to try it - a day later the stone had dissolved and disappeared after a qualified homepath he knew socially recommended Quercus.

His surgeon at the local hospital had told him there was a waiting list for an operation but if the pain got any worse he should just come in and it would be done. The surgeon was amazed and somewhat impressed when he heard what had happened.

Hope it all goes well for the OP, kidney stone pain really is horrendous.

If you can get hold of the homeopathic remedy Quercus in the right strength - possibly by ordering it online from a reputable homeopathic supplier overseas, I'd suggest you give that a try first.

Please, those of you who don't support alternative remedies leave this thread alone - a family member whose stones did not react to lithotriptor treatment and who was is desperate pain was recommended to try it - a day later the stone had dissolved and disappeared after a qualified homepath he knew socially recommended Quercus.

His surgeon at the local hospital had told him there was a waiting list for an operation but if the pain got any worse he should just come in and it would be done. The surgeon was amazed and somewhat impressed when he heard what had happened.

Heard it all now !

The "magic water" and sugar pill "cure" for renal calculi !

Produce the evidence for what is claimed buddhalady. Reliable, peer reviewed evidence, published in reputed scientific/medical journals.

Thanks

I actually passed kidney stones through and thb no exaggeration i thought i was gonna die. Since have taken a little interest and imo defo no need to use main stream medicine or be operated on, do some research, there are plenty of effective alternatives .

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Huh? didn't know the OP started this thread to be an alternative remedies thread. So you now hijack it as such?

I actually passed kidney stones through and thb no exaggeration i thought i was gonna die. Since have taken a little interest and imo defo no need to use main stream medicine or be operated on, do some research, there are plenty of effective alternatives .

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Plenty of "effective alternatives" ?

When do you intend informing the Mayo Clinic of these "effective alternatives" ?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/basics/definition/con-20024829

My first Kidney Stone was most Painful experience I have had. i passed out with pain climbing out of bed.

Dr Tavachia gave me medication and it went away.

A Year or so later I could not pass urine, quite painful.

I got to RAM emergency room quickly.

Young Dr on overnight duty tried inserting catheters up my penis, no luck then Dr Benikit arrived early, about 05.00.

After trying all the sizes of catheters he graduated to a Stainless Steel rod say 5/16 dia which he inserted .

He could even get up a few inches, I was heading north on the gurney but he was not able to move the stone.

I can fit you in about 18.00 for an operation he says. He did so.

Since then I make sure I overdose on water/liquids this Hot season.

john

Can't answer you questsion exactly but 18 months ago I had my gall bladder removed which had 7 stones, one very large and the gall bladder was gangerous causing multiple infections to other parts of my body including the kidneys.Dr Morgan, my local Dr, recommended Dr Trichak at RAM who I belive pioneered Ladcrospic surgery in Chiang Mai.

He is also,I believe, a professor teaching at CMU. I found him to be incredibly professional and since have had other pass on the same opinion.

Stupidly I had had warning of a small stone 10 years ago and told to keep an eye on it which obviously I did not do.

Removal has changed by life and confirmed not to put things off or forget !

+1 for Dr Trichak.

My first Kidney Stone was most Painful experience I have had. i passed out with pain climbing out of bed.

Dr Tavachia gave me medication and it went away.

A Year or so later I could not pass urine, quite painful.

I got to RAM emergency room quickly.

Young Dr on overnight duty tried inserting catheters up my penis, no luck then Dr Benikit arrived early, about 05.00.

After trying all the sizes of catheters he graduated to a Stainless Steel rod say 5/16 dia which he inserted .

He could even get up a few inches, I was heading north on the gurney but he was not able to move the stone.

I can fit you in about 18.00 for an operation he says. He did so.

Since then I make sure I overdose on water/liquids this Hot season.

john

Had similar experiences in the UK many years ago...

The advice to drink plenty, especially in the Thailand climate, is very sound advice.

My experience with the lithotriptor treatment was that it was ineffective.

My last one was removed "via the natural passage" as they say in the hospital, ie. they dragged it out...

I was told by a mid-wife that passing kidney stones was more painful than childbirth. My GP in UK told me to drink plenty then told me tea/coffee contain the calcium (?) that help form the stones. Horses get them frequently & the treatment is warm beer mash whilst being led about on a short halter - the exercise jogs them loose.

The doctor refused to prescribe beer for me; my wife refused to lead me about on a rope so I ended up having an operation. Basically this involved going up my front passage with a mini-umbrella & opening it to widen the inelastic tube that allows the stones into the bladder. The first pee after the op was excruciating but I've never been troubled since 25 years on despite moving to Thailand.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

From what I have read & even Thai folks agree this Dr Bannakij

is a good one to see.

Will check him out at his clinic

For those who have had the pain...I know how you feel.

Although now I have no symptoms .....

Close to 20 years ago I passed one from kidneys to bladder & it was sheer terror pain wise 555

They never found it in a strainer so who knows if it ever left the bladder but this CT etc never said anything

was seen in bladder just the 3 in right kidney

Thanks again for the suggestions

Much Appreciated ! thumbsup.gif

To the OP:

I recently had surgery to remove stones and a TURP because that problem is what probably caused the stones. I was referred to Chiang Mai Ram by my doctor. The doctor at Chiang Mai Ram advised surgery because the stone was rather large, 2.5 by 2.7 cm. When I asked the cost at Chiang Mai Ram the doctor estimated about 150,000 thb. I asked why it was so much more than I had seen price other people paid in various other hospitals. The doctor said he could refer me to Suan Dok hospital and it would be about half that price. It turns out the surgeons at Suan Dok are the same surgeons (in my case) as Chiang Mai Ram could have/would have been. Total cost for the surgeries at Suan Dok including a private room for 6 days and all the water they could put in me was about 55,000 thb,

Personally, I would suggest taking care of the stones before they can cause a problem.

If you have the time and you do need surgery it is a good alternative.

To the OP:

I recently had surgery to remove stones and a TURP because that problem is what probably caused the stones. I was referred to Chiang Mai Ram by my doctor. The doctor at Chiang Mai Ram advised surgery because the stone was rather large, 2.5 by 2.7 cm. When I asked the cost at Chiang Mai Ram the doctor estimated about 150,000 thb. I asked why it was so much more than I had seen price other people paid in various other hospitals. The doctor said he could refer me to Suan Dok hospital and it would be about half that price. It turns out the surgeons at Suan Dok are the same surgeons (in my case) as Chiang Mai Ram could have/would have been. Total cost for the surgeries at Suan Dok including a private room for 6 days and all the water they could put in me was about 55,000 thb,

Personally, I would suggest taking care of the stones before they can cause a problem.

If you have the time and you do need surgery it is a good alternative.

Thank You hml !

That sounds great & I will check it out for sure tomorrow

So you had actual surgery style not the Shockwave lithotripsy machine type?

Actually must be as you spent 6 days in hospital

If so that really was a great price as I have been hearing 60k just for that shockwave non surgical type removal

So I tend to get a little confused about that whole hospital area

They have this Suan Dok you mention which is the same as Maharaj ? ? Also Siripat is considered the private sector of that?

I will check this all out tomorrow Thanks again

I also had TURP. I think that would be more serious than breaking up the stone. However, as I said, the enlarged prostate was probably causing the stones.

What I did is go for the referral at Chiang Mai Ram, then the doctor referred me to Suan Dok. Suan Dok takes time and waiting.

I was in Suan Dok, which I believe is Maharaj. I think Sriphat is different, although in the same place.

Both procedures (??) were done trans urethral. I guess the breaking of the stones was ultrasound, but I am not positive about that. Even though they talked me into a spinal block so I would be awake to tell them if I could feel any problems (fullness in the abdomen if the bladder were punctured) I pretty much slept through the whole thing.

For me the whole thing, especially the spinal block, was very uncomfortable and unpleasant, which is why I suggest getting it taken care of when the stones are relatively small. As I also mentioned, one stone I had was 2.4 x 2.7 cm or thereabouts. They did give me the broken up stone as a souvenir. If you do not have a TURP, I think it would be less unpleasant.

Picking a surgeon at Suan Dok is more difficult because they schedule your surgery far in advance (if not an emergency) and you get whoever happens to be working that day. I missed Dr. Bannakit and I don't remember the name of the surgeon. He is also a professor for CMU I believe. I have not complaints at all about the whole thing... The unpleasantness would have happened no matter where I went. I also have the time for the waiting around - it can talk all day to just have tests and then see a doctor.

EDIT: This is all just my experience and observations... I don't claim that everyone would have the same experience.

I also had TURP. I think that would be more serious than breaking up the stone. However, as I said, the enlarged prostate was probably causing the stones.

What I did is go for the referral at Chiang Mai Ram, then the doctor referred me to Suan Dok. Suan Dok takes time and waiting.

I was in Suan Dok, which I believe is Maharaj. I think Sriphat is different, although in the same place.

Ok thanks for that too

Yes TURP for sure is more serious + the size of your stones were very large.

I believe your right about SuanDok & Maharaj

I also have a number for Dr Bannakit's clinic which I hope is still valid

Today being a holiday hard to tell smile.png

Thanks again & I have only heard good things about both Siripat & SuanDok

so I am hopeful it will be my solution also.

Thanks

It was 5-6 years ago that Dr B operated to remove my stuck Kidney Stone.

Bill from RAM was B22 with me in a private room.

Two Drs, one who suffers kidney stones, says Beer is recommended as it seems to reduce size and help wash away.

The MAYO Clinic used to have an excellent website on KS.

Plenty of liquids is first line of defence.

john

My first Kidney stone was located on the outside of my Kidneys according to Dr.T.

They can rub at the kidney causing a open soar, this is very painful.

Others can form into a 'Ball' and be ejected down the urine tube.

If like me you suffer from an enlarged Prostate Gland the 'Stone' can jam where the ureatha is narrowed by the Enlarged Prostate gland.

No flow of urine which becomes more painful as you bladder fills up.

The urine can 'Flow' backward to the Kidneys and this in long run could be fatal.

john

I can also recommend Ajarn Bannakit. He's considered one of the best urological surgeons in Thailand and is a very pleasant and caring person. If you decide to see him, then go soon. I saw him last week and he told me that beginning around early May he won't be available much for some time; due to traveling, lectures and so forth.

Huh? didn't know the OP started this thread to be an alternative remedies thread. So you now hijack it as such?

No, just trying to help by giving the true experience of a close friend - he's now dead from a heart attack or he'd have posted himself. Your reply is typical of some CM TV posters nowadays, shame on you.

OP - Dr Bannakij Ram hospital is an excellent urologist. Good English and a jovial manner... http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Eng/Urology%20Clinic%20Eng%20.html

Be aware that the good Dr. B is much more a cutter than a treater. In that you say that the stones are not giving you pain at the moment I surely would opt for some treatments (non-invasive) before stepping up to a surgical procedure.

Before the flamers ignite on me... yes, I have had experience in working with Dr. B.

I can also recommend Ajarn Bannakit. He's considered one of the best urological surgeons in Thailand and is a very pleasant and caring person. If you decide to see him, then go soon. I saw him last week and he told me that beginning around early May he won't be available much for some time; due to traveling, lectures and so forth.

Thanks & yes I saw him last night at his clinic.

Nice guy & seems to know what goes where & why ;)

I am to go back & see him tomorrow night as he has my scans but needed to take them to school/hospital computers

to read them

Your right too about his vacation during Songkran

I think he said he will be gone 2-3 weeks but that my case was not an emergency he thought so to not worry

Anyways I did have a good feeling about him during our meeting & will find out whats what tomorrow.

Thanks

OP - Dr Bannakij Ram hospital is an excellent urologist. Good English and a jovial manner... http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Eng/Urology%20Clinic%20Eng%20.html

Be aware that the good Dr. B is much more a cutter than a treater. In that you say that the stones are not giving you pain at the moment I surely would opt for some treatments (non-invasive) before stepping up to a surgical procedure.

Before the flamers ignite on me... yes, I have had experience in working with Dr. B.

He read my report on mine & did say I had two problems from the lab report.

The 3 stones which are 0.6-0.9cm & also a slight narrowing section of the Ureter

So initially he said he did think the shockwave may not work as even broken they may have problems passing narrow section

So on the one hand that agrees with your cut statement but based on what may also be fact about the narrowing.

I do know the narrowing was a very tiny segment but still narrow is narrow.

I do not know enough about the shockwave treatment & need to read more.

I would like to know when stones are broken this way ..how small are they broken

On a side note did you also find any other good urologists in CM?

Thanks

He read my report on mine & did say I had two problems from the lab report.

The 3 stones which are 0.6-0.9cm & also a slight narrowing section of the Ureter

So initially he said he did think the shockwave may not work as even broken they may have problems passing narrow section

So on the one hand that agrees with your cut statement but based on what may also be fact about the narrowing.

I do know the narrowing was a very tiny segment but still narrow is narrow.

I do not know enough about the shockwave treatment & need to read more.

I would like to know when stones are broken this way ..how small are they broken

On a side note did you also find any other good urologists in CM?

Thanks

For surgery he did well enough with one problem. On a separate issue he was pushing for surgery. Learning from research, I opted for successful treatment under the watch and guidance of a GP. Dr. B was not pleased with my decision but the results have been fine.

Haven't had any further need for a urologist in CM.

For surgery he did well enough with one problem. On a separate issue he was pushing for surgery. Learning from research, I opted for successful treatment under the watch and guidance of a GP. Dr. B was not pleased with my decision but the results have been fine.

Haven't had any further need for a urologist in CM.

The one problem success was the stones or something else?

If the successful treatment under the GP was the stones can you say what the treatment was?

Thanks

Archived