Chiang Mai doctor for kidney stones

mania

A poor family friend was suffering terrible for kidney stones and it looked like surgery was the only option as they were viewed too large for other treatments to work. So I bought her a product which is readily available over the net (Amazon) and her problems went away very quickly. When she went back to the hospital the doctor could not believe that her stones had been broken down and passed out of her body. She has not had problems since.

For surgery he did well enough with one problem. On a separate issue he was pushing for surgery. Learning from research, I opted for successful treatment under the watch and guidance of a GP. Dr. B was not pleased with my decision but the results have been fine.

Haven't had any further need for a urologist in CM.

The one problem success was the stones or something else?

If the successful treatment under the GP was the stones can you say what the treatment was?

Thanks

OP

The information in the link may be of interest ............

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/kidney-stones/basics/treatment/con-20024829

OP - Dr Bannakij Ram hospital is an excellent urologist. Good English and a jovial manner... http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Eng/Urology%20Clinic%20Eng%20.html

Be aware that the good Dr. B is much more a cutter than a treater. In that you say that the stones are not giving you pain at the moment I surely would opt for some treatments (non-invasive) before stepping up to a surgical procedure.

Before the flamers ignite on me... yes, I have had experience in working with Dr. B.

He read my report on mine & did say I had two problems from the lab report.

The 3 stones which are 0.6-0.9cm & also a slight narrowing section of the Ureter

So initially he said he did think the shockwave may not work as even broken they may have problems passing narrow section

So on the one hand that agrees with your cut statement but based on what may also be fact about the narrowing.

I do know the narrowing was a very tiny segment but still narrow is narrow.

I do not know enough about the shockwave treatment & need to read more.

I would like to know when stones are broken this way ..how small are they broken

On a side note did you also find any other good urologists in CM?

Thanks

These two are from the recommended list, but I've never read a post by anyone who has been treated by them.

Dr Pruk Kithirathrakan

Rajavej Hospital, 053 801999

Dr Jamroon Wattanasakult

These two are from the recommended list, but I've never read a post by anyone who has been treated by them.

Dr Pruk Kithirathrakan

Dr Jamroon Wattanasakult

Thank you!

Good to have backup in case

Although I have no symptoms I get the time bomb feeling now knowing their in there 555

So with Dr B leaving for a few weeks I need to wait....but good to have other names too

Thanks

I actually have done a physical at Rajavej & they were fine too.

For surgery he did well enough with one problem. On a separate issue he was pushing for surgery. Learning from research, I opted for successful treatment under the watch and guidance of a GP. Dr. B was not pleased with my decision but the results have been fine.

Haven't had any further need for a urologist in CM.

The one problem success was the stones or something else?

If the successful treatment under the GP was the stones can you say what the treatment was?

Thanks

Surgery was not involved with stones.

Treatment was for prostatitis. He was insisting on a biopsy without even doing a finger wave...

If you can get hold of the homeopathic remedy Quercus in the right strength - possibly by ordering it online from a reputable homeopathic supplier overseas, I'd suggest you give that a try first.

Please, those of you who don't support alternative remedies leave this thread alone - a family member whose stones did not react to lithotriptor treatment and who was is desperate pain was recommended to try it - a day later the stone had dissolved and disappeared after a qualified homepath he knew socially recommended Quercus.

His surgeon at the local hospital had told him there was a waiting list for an operation but if the pain got any worse he should just come in and it would be done. The surgeon was amazed and somewhat impressed when he heard what had happened.

Hope it all goes well for the OP, kidney stone pain really is horrendous.

Heard it all now !

The "magic water" and sugar pill "cure" for renal calculi !

Produce the evidence for what is claimed buddhalady. Reliable, peer reviewed evidence, published in reputed scientific/medical journals.

Thanks

The 'family member ' involved was my late husband - this happened some five years before we came to CM a good while ago. I was as amazed as was the surgeon who was overseeing his case. Before taking Quercus my husband was howling with pain - 36 hours later the stones had gone.

That's the evidence - real life. I'm sick to death of people on this forum trashing other people's truth.

If you can get hold of the homeopathic remedy Quercus in the right strength - possibly by ordering it online from a reputable homeopathic supplier overseas, I'd suggest you give that a try first.

Please, those of you who don't support alternative remedies leave this thread alone - a family member whose stones did not react to lithotriptor treatment and who was is desperate pain was recommended to try it - a day later the stone had dissolved and disappeared after a qualified homepath he knew socially recommended Quercus.

His surgeon at the local hospital had told him there was a waiting list for an operation but if the pain got any worse he should just come in and it would be done. The surgeon was amazed and somewhat impressed when he heard what had happened.

Huh? didn't know the OP started this thread to be an alternative remedies thread. So you now hijack it as such?

Kidney stones are an indication that all is not functioning well chemically in your body. Like a warning light coming on in the car.

As such you can remedy what is causing the problem which may well then prevent other problems emerging later, or you can go and see the doctor who will be happy to deal with your symptoms and completely ignore the cause.

People post natural cures not to hijack the pharmaceutical industry cheerleaders but to offer a safer alternative, hardly a malicious act.

Kidney stones are an indication that all is not functioning well chemically in your body. Like a warning light coming on in the car.

As such you can remedy what is causing the problem which may well then prevent other problems emerging later, or you can go and see the doctor who will be happy to deal with your symptoms and completely ignore the cause.

People post natural cures not to hijack the pharmaceutical industry cheerleaders but to offer a safer alternative, hardly a malicious act.

Yes for sure & although I have rarely been ill in my life I also believe in halting the cause

rather than just treat the symptoms.

I have only ever had one other kidney stone the day after I got totally dehydrated working 20 years ago.

So my guess is these last few years here with my exercising etc I just was not topped up sufficiently.

My diet has not drastically changed as my wife cooks here & back before we moved

Huh? didn't know the OP started this thread to be an alternative remedies thread. So you now hijack it as such?

Total nonsense !

Post details of all the causes of "stones" and the "guaranteed" quack cures for renal calculi.

Do not forget to include all the peer reviewed evidence for your claims which has been published in respected scientific/medical journals.

OP - Dr Bannakij Ram hospital is an excellent urologist. Good English and a jovial manner... http://www.chiangmairam.com/NEW%20CMR/Physician%20Eng/Urology%20Clinic%20Eng%20.html

Be aware that the good Dr. B is much more a cutter than a treater. In that you say that the stones are not giving you pain at the moment I surely would opt for some treatments (non-invasive) before stepping up to a surgical procedure.

Before the flamers ignite on me... yes, I have had experience in working with Dr. B.

He read my report on mine & did say I had two problems from the lab report.

The 3 stones which are 0.6-0.9cm & also a slight narrowing section of the Ureter

So initially he said he did think the shockwave may not work as even broken they may have problems passing narrow section

So on the one hand that agrees with your cut statement but based on what may also be fact about the narrowing.

I do know the narrowing was a very tiny segment but still narrow is narrow.

I do not know enough about the shockwave treatment & need to read more.

I would like to know when stones are broken this way ..how small are they broken

On a side note did you also find any other good urologists in CM?

Thanks

I had lithotripsy (ultrasound) done for a stone that was passing my ureter. This was at Bumrungrad and not in Chiang Mai, but I could highly recommend a urologist and the technology as well at Bumrungrad (Dr Viroj).

The actual procedure lasted about 40 minutes, and was not all that painful as I had read reports. I think it does depend on the technology used, as the more modern ones are more focused, plus physician technique is important. Also, my urologist provided a cute nurse to hold my hand and ask "any pain?? you ok?" every couple of minutes, with an IV line analgesic at the ready. The combination of the two made it a very tolerable procedure. The way it worked for me is this: you lie down on something that looks like a toilet plunger cup, the doc does a quick fluoroscope to locate the stone and direct the ultrasound. Then there is a pulsing of the ultrasound for a few minutes. He looks again, makes an adjustment and ups the power. This repeats as the power is increased incrementally until he can see the stone is destroyed.

But I can definitely vouch for the significant pain that happens as the stone tries to make its trip down your ureter. There was no way I could drive to the hospital, and it was all I could do not to groan in a taxi with each wave of pain, thus freaking out the driver who might start thinking DOA at the hospital! I was given a very nice happy injection and took a nap in ER. When I woke up, the pain was subsiding and went away for a few days. I was given a radiographic procedure that confirmed the stone. Then it was back with a vengeance and I elected to go with lithotripsy. For anyone who has experienced the pain of passing a stone, you will understand that there is no way you will be patient enough to endure that in an attempt to use some kind of homeopathic or alternative medicine.

As you asked about how small the stones are: for me, it was like very fine sand when I voided them. I was asked to catch the fragments in a strainer so that they could analyse them and determine which kind of stone it was. There is no post-procedure pain and you have some blood in your urine for a couple of days and then everything is fine.

I had lithotripsy (ultrasound) done for a stone that was passing my ureter. This was at Bumrungrad and not in Chiang Mai, but I could highly recommend a urologist and the technology as well at Bumrungrad (Dr Viroj).

The actual procedure lasted about 40 minutes, and was not all that painful as I had read reports. I think it does depend on the technology used, as the more modern ones are more focused, plus physician technique is important. Also, my urologist provided a cute nurse to hold my hand and ask "any pain?? you ok?" every couple of minutes, with an IV line analgesic at the ready. The combination of the two made it a very tolerable procedure. The way it worked for me is this: you lie down on something that looks like a toilet plunger cup, the doc does a quick fluoroscope to locate the stone and direct the ultrasound. Then there is a pulsing of the ultrasound for a few minutes. He looks again, makes an adjustment and ups the power. This repeats as the power is increased incrementally until he can see the stone is destroyed.

But I can definitely vouch for the significant pain that happens as the stone tries to make its trip down your ureter. There was no way I could drive to the hospital, and it was all I could do not to groan in a taxi with each wave of pain, thus freaking out the driver who might start thinking DOA at the hospital! I was given a very nice happy injection and took a nap in ER. When I woke up, the pain was subsiding and went away for a few days. I was given a radiographic procedure that confirmed the stone. Then it was back with a vengeance and I elected to go with lithotripsy. For anyone who has experienced the pain of passing a stone, you will understand that there is no way you will be patient enough to endure that in an attempt to use some kind of homeopathic or alternative medicine.

As you asked about how small the stones are: for me, it was like very fine sand when I voided them. I was asked to catch the fragments in a strainer so that they could analyse them and determine which kind of stone it was. There is no post-procedure pain and you have some blood in your urine for a couple of days and then everything is fine.

Thank you for your very informative post

Yes I agree although it was 20 years ago, I remember that pain as

a stone went from kidney to bladder it was pretty amazing

just how bad it was & I remember wishing I would just pass out...but did not

Thanks again for the lithotripsy option details.

The last Urologist I just saw is firm on wanting to do the operation route thru the back percutaneous nephrolithotomy & also do some work on ureter

with stent in for 6 weeks which he said I will need pain meds for.

His claim is I have some obstruction but yet I have no obstruction

symptoms nor does my CT scan report confirm that. As I had contrast dye it did say both drained equally

If so Ureter is only drain I know of?

But in any case I have decided after 4 years we are moving back to where we came from.

We have our house there & gave the renters notice. I plan to leave in July

I am thinking if I have no symptoms I will wait & check/do something there

If I have as you did stone movement I will go somewhere & request lithotripsy

Thanks again

I must apologies to the board for my name of JonWilly.

It comes from the nickname I have had since I was a school kid.

However it does attract a 'Certain" type.

john

Perhaps the Moderators could change it to John Willa, then the willy fans or the Jon folk, who II have been given to understand have a preference for identifying their breed as Jon, for it differentiates them from the majority.

Kidney stones, if no an emergency situation, can be broken up with ultra sound. I don't think anyone here in Chiang Mai has the proper machine for it though, hence no recommendations for it. You ought to check with one of the larger hospitals in bkk. LOT less painful....

Kidney stones, if no an emergency situation, can be broken up with ultra sound. I don't think anyone here in Chiang Mai has the proper machine for it though, hence no recommendations for it. You ought to check with one of the larger hospitals in bkk. LOT less painful....

I did read that Suan Dok/Maharaj has the machine but do not know if it is older tech etc

Thought this was quite a useful article http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/25/information-you-need-to-know-about-kidney-stones.aspx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks good general info but that water shockwave techniques he speaks of is old school (article is 7 years old)

The newer lithotripsy no longer needs a water tank. Also have better focus to pin point waves at stones.

...snip

Thank you for your very informative post

Yes I agree although it was 20 years ago, I remember that pain as

a stone went from kidney to bladder it was pretty amazing

just how bad it was & I remember wishing I would just pass out...but did not

Thanks again for the lithotripsy option details.

The last Urologist I just saw is firm on wanting to do the operation route thru the back percutaneous nephrolithotomy & also do some work on ureter

with stent in for 6 weeks which he said I will need pain meds for.

His claim is I have some obstruction but yet I have no obstruction

symptoms nor does my CT scan report confirm that. As I had contrast dye it did say both drained equally

If so Ureter is only drain I know of?

But in any case I have decided after 4 years we are moving back to where we came from.

We have our house there & gave the renters notice. I plan to leave in July

I am thinking if I have no symptoms I will wait & check/do something there

If I have as you did stone movement I will go somewhere & request lithotripsy

Thanks again

Mania - if you are saying that (1) you have no symptoms and (2) you had a radiographic dye study (IVP) which showed no obstructions, you have probably already asked yourself about your urologist's intent on doing major surgery. You would definitely want to get a second opinion on that, but as you say you are moving home in July, I guess that is what you will be doing. This is assuming that you will have some sort of health insurance cover back home and you could get in the queue straight away. If not, then maybe you should resolve everything here in Thailand as the costs would be much less here. If lithotripsy is the solution, you could be in and out in a few hours time.

As for a second opinion, my experience was with Dr. Viroj at Bumrungrad and I have seen him recommended by others here as well.

Mania - if you are saying that (1) you have no symptoms and (2) you had a radiographic dye study (IVP) which showed no obstructions, you have probably already asked yourself about your urologist's intent on doing major surgery. You would definitely want to get a second opinion on that, but as you say you are moving home in July, I guess that is what you will be doing. This is assuming that you will have some sort of health insurance cover back home and you could get in the queue straight away. If not, then maybe you should resolve everything here in Thailand as the costs would be much less here. If lithotripsy is the solution, you could be in and out in a few hours time.

As for a second opinion, my experience was with Dr. Viroj at Bumrungrad and I have seen him recommended by others here as well.

Thanks & yes that is exactly what I am saying.

I also have seen 2 doctors here both right away suggested the same.

When I asked the second doc about some kind of test to be sure that an obstruction exists

I could tell he did not like it & gave a short answer to go check xxxx that did not really make sense.

I do know both doctors basically make a quick note of ultrasound tests & that is where they pick up on a slight narrowing of ureter near renal pelvis

& maybe some slight swelling of rt kidney.

But if they thoroughly read the CT KUB Scan report they can also see it does not agree with ultrasound techs report.

So yes if I do not develop any symptoms between now & departure &

if stones do not drop I will wait to get back to US where I have coverage & also

even if needing updating any ER there takes me in no questions asked

I have also after reading your post contacted Bumrungrad about a price & am awaiting a reply

Thanks again

Mania - Dr. Viroj would charge you 700 baht for a consultation. I suppose maybe you could collect all your records and let him have a look at them for that second (or third) opinion. Presumably you did your CT with contrast, so with that, he would probably have everything he needed to offer another opinion.

One thing I know about Dr. Viroj is that he takes a conservative, non-surgical approach in general, and that includes the lithotripsy he did for me more than 10 years ago, as well as more recent prostate issues.

Archived