Bar "buyout fee" has anyone heard of this before? I was quoted a price of 15000 baht.

I meet a girl in a bar and we click on many different levels. She wants out of the bar. She has talked with her boss and was told the "bar buyout fee" was 15,000 baht. Note that she's only at the bar for 1 month before we meet.

What I would like some info on is this buy out fee made up fee,can it be negotiated, etc. Because love is blind, and with the years of thai experience on this form im asking for input on this topic.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP,

I have one word of advice for you,

"Run" !

Now I will explain it. You are heading down a very slippery slope, one that millions before you have traversed and most come out with a scar or two.

No bar owns any human being. If your new love was silly enough to hand over her Thai ID to a bar owner then she's going to do lots of other stupid stuff too, all of them designed to help you spend money.

You are heading for a world of pain but nothing I say is going to change what you do as your little head is thinking for the big one.

Welcome to Thailand, the land of vertical smiles !

She could just leave the bar at no cost to you.

However, if she does that she will be blacklisted by that bar if she ever wishes to return, and blacklisted by any other bar that the owner may have influence over.

It's kind of an insurance policy for her safe return to work if/when you dump her or she gets sick of you and things don't work out. It also gives her "face" in front of her fellow workers.

It's compensation to the bar owner for the lost bar fines that you would otherwise be paying for the forseeable future. And compensation to the owner for all the education and training that has been given to the girl during her tenure at the establishment. You know.....English fluency in understanding drink orders, how to flirt with the customers to extract maximum number of lady drinks/bar fines, shoulder massage technique, which switch controls which ceilig fan, how to put the beer in the fridge, etc.

And if it's a Bar Beer, the going rate is 6-10k. Some bars give a percentage of the money to the girl, some don't.

However, if she does that she will be blacklisted by that bar if she ever wishes to return, and blacklisted by any other bar that the owner may have influence over.

It's kind of an insurance policy for her safe return to work if/when you dump her or she gets sick of you and things don't work out. It also gives her "face" in front of her fellow workers.

It's compensation to the bar owner for the lost bar fines that you would otherwise be paying for the forseeable future. And compensation to the owner for all the education and training that has been given to the girl during her tenure at the establishment. You know.....English fluency in understanding drink orders, how to flirt with the customers to extract maximum number of lady drinks/bar fines, shoulder massage technique, which switch controls which ceilig fan, how to put the beer in the fridge, etc.

And if it's a Bar Beer, the going rate is 6-10k. Some bars give a percentage of the money to the girl, some don't.

Interesting information! I have been living in Thailand one-year and This is the first I have heard this. Makes sense. What else so don't I know? Ha ha ha. Never mind. I like surprises... well most!

It's interesting that girl in question only worked in the bar for about a month before she met the OP.

This seems to be a common theme in these topics.

It would appear that nobody works longer in a bar than 1 month. That's not so bad......how much damage could be done in a month?

OP, how's her English?

How many farang a are in her greater family(sister, mother, brother all shacked up with farangs)?

How many tats?

How many stamps in her passport?

How's her frequent fliers points?

Are all her friends in Facebook working ladies?

Edited by neverdie

Interesting information! I have been living in Thailand one-year and This is the first I have heard this. Makes sense. What else so don't I know? Ha ha ha. Never mind. I like surprises... well most!

there is probably a lot more you don't know or suspect...

one month in the bar is probably true... in THAT bar.

ask many questions.

getting the truth from Thai girls is like pulling teeth.

many will tell the truth, but only half-truth.

many relationships with ex-bargirls work out ok, but many don't.

take your time in vetting her, at least one year, try to quietly double-check ANYTHING she tells you, even the smallest thing.

any relationship can go pear-shaped, but a relationship with a honest girl will likely resolve without damage.

It's interesting that girl in question only worked in the bar for about a month before she met the OP.

It would appear that nobody works longer in a bar than 1 month. That's not so bad......how much damage could be done in a month?

OP, how's her English?

How many farang a are in her greater family(sister, mother, brother all shacked up with farangs)?

How many tats?

perhaps she is telling the truth with a slight twist... She has only worked in THAT bar for a month. Might have worked 5 other bar though ....

It's an industry that's been around for decades.

It's a bit like 'Apple MacIntosh' in the way everything is designed to extract as much cash as possible from the product users.

It didn't just all come about by chance ;)

OP, how's her English?

How many tats?

perhaps she is telling the truth with a slight twist... She has only worked in THAT bar for a month. Might have worked 5 other bar though ....

Indeed.

At least he didn't fall for the "Cashier" one 55555

OP, how's her English?

How many tats?

Indeed.

coffee1.gif

coffee1.gif

Well......if you look really gullible the mamasan will tell you it's customary when you buy a girl out of the bar that you celebrate her liberation and to throw a party at the bar, pig on a spit, balloons, food etc. and that will cost you 25k plus. But don't worry, she'll organise it all for you totally commission free. whistling.gif

And if not the party, you'll be pressured to ring the bell a few times at least.

But hey, look at the positive side. No further bar fines to be paid, and your girl will enjoy drinks at the standard cost with no ladydrink surcharge. blink.png

We'll wait for your next post about your girl insisting that you go visit her family in Nakon Nowhere and that marriage is a must because her family will never accept you without having a country wedding. She's a good girl, don't you know.

The sin-sodt post will follow soon after. coffee1.gif

Hey OP, I'm taking the piss a little bit, but generally the information I've given is accurate if you take out the sarcasm.

Cheers and good luck. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to be facing your current dilemna. thumbsup.gif

OP, how's her English?

How many tats?

Indeed.

Hey pull up.

Mine was a cashier, I did not meet her in the bar though. She was at the 7/11 just up the road buying some marlboro's for one of the johns in the bar.

OP, how's her English?

How many tats?

Indeed.

Hey pull up.

Mine was a cashier, I did not meet her in the bar though. She was at the 7/11 just up the road buying some marlboro's for one of the johns in the bar.

RAOFLAO

I'm not really familiar with how these bars operate, but presumably they must have a row of cashiers like a supermarket checkout, considering how many women seem to have done the job.

You forgot to mention the rotating front doors with a steady stream of lasses flowing in and out !

Very common. It's more about her "face" with the bar. If she's really serious about you, she should be happy to just walk away. But many bargirls have been made promises of commitment, walked away from their bar, and then been dumped!

Yeah you wouldn't want to get dumped, especially considering there's only 8,976,541 bars in Thailand.....how on earth would one ever find another job of such high standing.

Nobody owns her. She is planning on getting the cash and and splitting it with the bar. It she wants to be with you, she would just walk. How silly!

It's got little to do with the 'initial cash grab' but rather it's like a small test to establish the victims understanding of the situation.

Did I say victim? I meant customer, sorry boyfriend.

Edited by neverdie

OP, how's her English?

How many tats?

The one about the family probably the most important in the end. Especially your future MIL.

Ill add a few more points:

Get her to do the pre-marriage checkup at the hospital, yes it is a thing, will give you a health run down including HIV test.

But if you are planning babies, also a fertility test, many of these girls, if working long enough have had things like salpingitis a few times and may be infertile.

Lastly, and probably the most important thing to check is you yourself, the falang. Are you going to end up being a douche, a cheapskate in the end, are you just chasing tail.

If the plan is later have babies, she and all her female relos will do all the legwork, she is actually happier back home in the village and WANTS to stay there, yappng with her gal friends and looking after the kids all day. Then initially its a little counterintuitive as to which girl you should go for...not the one that actually is a nympho, not the one thats too into the bling, not the one thats first to grab your arm. The one with face in the phone not interested no matter who the guy is, will go extra gooey if you show her pics of babies or puppies

OP, how's her English?

How many tats?

The one about the family probably the most important in the end. Especially your future MIL.

Ill add a few more points:

Get her to do the pre-marriage checkup at the hospital, yes it is a thing, will give you a health run down including HIV test.

But if you are planning babies, also a fertility test, many of these girls, if working long enough have had things like salpingitis a few times and may be infertile.

Lastly, and probably the most important thing to check is you yourself, the falang. Are you going to end up being a douche, a cheapskate in the end, are you just chasing tail.

If the plan is later have babies, she and all her female relos will do all the legwork, she is actually happier back home in the village and WANTS to stay there, yappng with her gal friends and looking after the kids all day. Then initially its a little counterintuitive as to which girl you should go for...not the one that actually is a nympho, not the one thats too into the bling, not the one thats first to grab your arm. The one with face in the phone not interested no matter who the guy is, will go extra gooey if you show her pics of babies or puppies

None of that is why I asked about the family.

What I was going to suggest is, if there's other 'farang' somehow married into the greater 'family unit' then there's a good chance that your little darling has come from one of these families that has been involved in 'the industry' for generations.

You may be dealing with a real professional ;)

Very common. It's more about her "face" with the bar. If she's really serious about you, she should be happy to just walk away. But many bargirls have been made promises of commitment, walked away from their bar, and then been dumped!

Yeah you wouldn't want to get dumped, especially considering there's only 8,976,541 bars in Thailand.....how on earth would one ever find another job of such high standing.

8,976,538, last i checked.

with an average of 20 girls (who've just started working, of course),

That's 179,530,740 Ladies..... gigglem.gifwub.pngtongue.png

Minus one, of course, that OP is smitten with.

Hmmm... coffee1.gif

OP, please listen to the replies here. Please. For your own good. NeverDie's first reply sums it up.

Edited by kayo

It's a scam the girl is pulling on you to extract 15k.

Choose a cheaper girl!

Only worked there a month? ask her age, if she's cute assume 300+ customers a year since age 15, if she's really cute assume 600+ customers a year since age 15.

His next post, how much Sin Sot should I pay?

Or how much to build a house on her family land?

Edited by BritManToo