"reasonable" Household Effects

The regulation says that a "reasonable" amount of household effects shall be duty-free. Can you folks give me a quantitative idea of what this means? I won't be bringing TVs, computers, stereos, but will be bringing furniture, clothes, kitchen appliances, tools, books, etc. I plan to put it all into a 7.5'x7.5'x20' cargo container & send it via ship to Thailand. Any input/advice as to potential tax liability or recommended shippers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Walker

PS.....anyone with experience with furniture manufacturers (either good or bad) is heartily requested to send either recommendations or warnings, as we will need to buy some storage...an armoire, for example, as our house will have no closets. Again, thanks. w.

I am investigating my move to Thailand by the end of the year.

In another thread I informed Jeff1 about the same.

Take an international moving company.

They know all about the rules and regulations.

Ask for a door to door service.It will be completely their resposibilty.

They will survey you before.

I am planning 2 20ft containers.After a long marriage you will have more collected than as a newly wed couple.Goods must be at least 6 months or older.

I can tell you that what you consider a 'reasonable' amount of household will not be considered 'reasonable' by the Thai custom department. They happen to be experts deciding what is 'reasonable' and what is not... Somehow they also get richer along the way, they're really good at it...

The advice of the other Dutchman is interesting, I had some problems with international moving companies before. It's not solely 'their responsibility' I received a request to pay more tax which I naturally didn't want to pay. They didn't want to pay it neither so there are two possibilities. It's inaccesible in Thailand at the customs or will be send back to your home country where you can pick it up for additional charges. ("Round trip ticket") The customer will have to pay in the end, no way that that's gonna change....

Dutchy

Moving companies have their contacts with the customs already before the shipment arrive.All the goods are detailed on the packing list.

In my case I even have pictures of the goods /per item!

In the door to door price is included any kind of extras that can be or will be expected.

Part of the deal is also that they are the ones who will pack!

Thanks for warning anyhow ,I will discuss once more and put everything on paper.

I can tell you that what you consider a 'reasonable' amount of household will not be considered 'reasonable' by the Thai custom department. They happen to be experts deciding what is 'reasonable' and what is not... Somehow they also get richer along the way, they're really good at it...

The advice of the other Dutchman is interesting, I had some problems with international moving companies before. It's not solely 'their responsibility' I received a request to pay more tax which I naturally didn't want to pay. They didn't want to pay it neither so there are two possibilities. It's inaccesible in Thailand at the customs or will be send back to your home country where you can pick it up for additional charges. ("Round trip ticket") The customer will have to pay in the end, no way that that's gonna change....

Dutchy

Just remember that you MUST have either a one year extended non-immigrant visa or an O-A visa to qualify to bring personal effects at all.