HiFi second hand

Captor

Hi

I will move to Thailand in a couple of years and I have to buy a new HiFi equipment. How is the second hand market in Thailand?

In my country it is pretty much half price depending on the age of course. Would it be a good deal to buy here and send to Thailand?

Or is there a similar market?

Also I wonder about the prices compare to europe for new equipment?

I have today Audionet amplifier and CD and JM Lab speakers in the medium price range. And I want similar or better when i move to Thailand.

I also use JRiver on PC with use of DAC in the Audionet CD player.

Best Regards

Captor

I find that most new manufactured things cost about 25-50% more here than in Europe, in spite of VAT being much lower here. Also the choice of items here is much smaller and warranties (if any) will probably be shorter also.

Second-hand prices tend to be higher here, though there is nothing very transparent about them. Personally I avoid used items here like the plague as Thais rarely treat things correctly or maintain them properly.

Thanks for your input. That sounds like the best for me is to send my equipment to Thailand from Sweden then.

How is it in Thailand to get a fair service? For example something breaks in my audionet amplifier or JM Lab speaker. Will I get a service well done with original parts? And price for service I guess is lower than europe?

You also need to consider possible import taxes if you send things here (there are exemptions for people moving here, or who bring things with them).

Service will depend on the brands concerned. I dont know anything about the brands you mention here, I'm afraid. You can check whether they have any representation here on their websites, and the validity of any international warranty.

Labour charges should be lower here but parts will probably cost more. Are such faults likely with modern speakers/amps?

Is there import taxes on used items? I always thought that is for new items only. The items I have today are between 10-15 years old. Good to know about that there might be exceptions for people moving to Thailand. I have to check that up.

Parts costs more, OK. Well I will hope nothing happens but who knows. I have one time had problem with the volume control. That time I sent the amplifier to the factory in Germany actually. That is what the representation here in Sweden does so I thought I can do that myself also. But from Thailand it is a little bit longer transport. And sending by air will be expensive considering the weight of 20 kg. Well, I hope that there is some service in Thailand.

I dont know about now but a few or more years back there were some super hi end audiophile shops in Paragon. There was also a mall across from Cent. World that caters to audiophiles. I know that on Sukhumvit 3 across the street from Bumrungrad Hospital and down a bit is where Denon and JBL and other brands can be repaired to a high standard. There is also a sound engineers school there.....

But you will be blown away at the cost of some of the stuff. The tube amp gear and speakers cost more than some houses....millions of baht.

Edited by NickJ

There are a few facebook groups dedicated to selling second hand stuff. Eg : Stuff for sale in Phuket

It may be worth searching for some of these in the area you plan to migrate to.. that 'll give an idea of what may be available.

What is your system worth on the second hand market where you are now? There is no ebay in Thailand that I know of so second hand stuff is limited to paces like craigs list and very rarely is there anything of audiophile quality

Singapore (even malaysia) is way better than thailand for audiophiles....lots of brands, after sales support, forums for buying and selling.

If you didnt purchase the goods from the authorised retailer, service can be refused or considerably more expensive. Plus the thais will find some way to get money out of you for bringing in these goods, even if they are 15 years old.

Ive seen shops for mid fi stuff like B&w etc....nothing like cary, bat, mcintosh, gallo etc.

Limited market.

There is a MacIntosh outlet in Siam Paragon, B&O and Marantz as well, all close to the Bently/Lamborgini display. No accident there.

There have been previous topics in this forum pointing out reputable and skilled repair shops so they do exist. I seem to recall one being mentioned that was on a side soi close to Fortune Tower...anybody?

Speaking of Fortune Tower....there is at least one shop there selling used hi-end audio gear.

What is your system worth on the second hand market where you are now? There is no ebay in Thailand that I know of so second hand stuff is limited to paces like craigs list and very rarely is there anything of audiophile quality

Hard to say, maybe 250 000 - 300 000 THB.

Singapore (even malaysia) is way better than thailand for audiophiles....lots of brands, after sales support, forums for buying and selling.

If you didnt purchase the goods from the authorised retailer, service can be refused or considerably more expensive. Plus the thais will find some way to get money out of you for bringing in these goods, even if they are 15 years old.

Ive seen shops for mid fi stuff like B&w etc....nothing like cary, bat, mcintosh, gallo etc.

Limited market.

Right, good to know. Thanks. Maybe I am more in the mid fi range then.

Limited market.

You know what its like ....theres jm lab grand utopias and jm lab focals.....quite a difference yea?

Limited market.

You know what its like ....theres jm lab grand utopias and jm lab focals.....quite a difference yea?

Right, hehe..

Is there import taxes on used items? I always thought that is for new items only. The items I have today are between 10-15 years old.

Yes, duty/VAT may be payable.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Thailand/

There is an 80,000B franchise for items you bring in yourself.

http://www.tourismthailand.org/About-Thailand/Custom-Immigration

That is really important information, thanks!

Duty rates in Thailand vary from 0% to 80%, with an average duty rate of 20.93%. Some products can be imported free of duty, e.g. laptops and other electronic products.

Some products can be free. Other electronic products.. maybe HiFi stuff is an electronic product? I think I have to call them about that when it is time to make my move.

Also, what will the value be on this, maybe 10-20 years old stereo equipment? Who is setting the value? I am setting it but will they found out the relevant value? That can not be so easy of they are not familiar with the HiFi-world. So the value can be whatever they want to set it to? Or do they have ways to find out?

Interesting questions! Maybe the best is to go by car to Malasya as someone mentioned and by it there. And hope for the best at the custom in to Thailand?

And then there is the VAT - 7%...

Maybe the best is to go by car to Malasya as someone mentioned and by it there. And hope for the best at the custom in to Thailand?

You can bet the thai customs officer will set the value…and he will not do it according to some handbook…it will be any random amount he wants since he has you at his mercy.

Also, you must like music very much to go through the hassle of buying in malaysia…you'd have to go to KL for starters….if it's pre-owned goods, you need time to set up appointments, audition…plus doing all the diligence to avoid getting scammed.

I'd leave my stuff at home and just buy a decent system in thailand…whatever's available. It may not be up to all the specs you desire…. but Ive seen some borderline decent stuff sold there….eg. musical fidelity equipment.

Maybe the best is to go by car to Malasya as someone mentioned and by it there. And hope for the best at the custom in to Thailand?

I think you mean Singapore.

Choice there will be a lot bigger and prices lower. But you may have duty problems when importing.

You can bet the thai customs officer will set the value…and he will not do it according to some handbook…it will be any random amount he wants since he has you at his mercy.

Also, you must like music very much to go through the hassle of buying in malaysia…you'd have to go to KL for starters….if it's pre-owned goods, you need time to set up appointments, audition…plus doing all the diligence to avoid getting scammed.

I'd leave my stuff at home and just buy a decent system in thailand…whatever's available. It may not be up to all the specs you desire…. but Ive seen some borderline decent stuff sold there….eg. musical fidelity equipment.

Right! That is probably what will happen.

Well, I guess I have to do the same way as you. For example Musical Fidelity is not so bad at all. Thank you..

I think you mean Singapore.

Choice there will be a lot bigger and prices lower. But you may have duty problems when importing.

Hi, Singapore will be more difficult to freight the equipment from. By air is possible maybe.

Actually, train might be a surprisingly good way to do it….theres a train from singapore all the way to Bangkok.

I don't remember them checking our bags when entering thailand…the bags stayed on the train, we just got off at padang besar and queued up at passport control, got the visa chop and then got back on the train.

WOW! Thank you very much! Really high end here! And this stuff is nowhere to be found in Thailand? What a pity...

Right, train is an option too. Did not think on that at all, thanks. OK, then Singapore sounds interesting. And cheaper as Malaysia too..

As you have not moved here yet, you should also be considering what kind of environment you will be living in here before making decisions on your audio set-up. Many condos are built with scant attention to sound transmittal. unit to unit. Poured concrete ceilings & floors can carry sounds like a drum head...especially heavy base notes. Houses in a majority of housing estates are also usually crowded together with thin, un-insulated walls. Playing music a levels you are accustomed to in your current listening environment may not be possible here in Thailand without the risk of problems with neighbors.

Certainly, a proper sound room could probably be set up, though at possibly considerable expense but if that were the case, you would want to have the option of tailoring the equipment to the room; far simpler, I would think, than tailoring the room to existing equipment.

Bags 100% come off he train as you go through customs and then you take them back on the train otherwise its a drug smugglers wet dream. However they never check the bags but if you have large boxes they may do so

As you have not moved here yet, you should also be considering what kind of environment you will be living in here before making decisions on your audio set-up. Many condos are built with scant attention to sound transmittal. unit to unit. Poured concrete ceilings & floors can carry sounds like a drum head...especially heavy base notes. Houses in a majority of housing estates are also usually crowded together with thin, un-insulated walls. Playing music a levels you are accustomed to in your current listening environment may not be possible here in Thailand without the risk of problems with neighbors.

Certainly, a proper sound room could probably be set up, though at possibly considerable expense but if that were the case, you would want to have the option of tailoring the equipment to the room; far simpler, I would think, than tailoring the room to existing equipment.

Right, I have noticed the thin walls. However I was thinking in a house it is better. But considering what you are saying I have to check that out before doing anything. Thank you!

Bags 100% come off he train as you go through customs and then you take them back on the train otherwise its a drug smugglers wet dream. However they never check the bags but if you have large boxes they may do so

OK, thanks!