Expats in Thailand: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems learning Thai is that you often have to learn a new phonetic system for each book or course. Every author, it seems, has a better idea of what a good romanization system is.

http://www.thailao.net/thaiphon.htm

I got round that problem by learning to read Thai script.

Doesn't take long.

I don't get why so few people seem to bother with this. It's not that hard, it makes learning to speak Thai so much easier, and it mean you can read signs, menus etc.

One of the problems learning Thai is that you often have to learn a new phonetic system for each book or course. Every author, it seems, has a better idea of what a good romanization system is.

Doesn't take long.

I don't get why so few people seem to bother with this. It's not that hard, it makes learning to speak Thai so much easier, and it mean you can read signs, menus etc.

I don't understand either, guessing most of the dinosaurs are too lazy.

There's nothing unusual about it. It's just funny when people think their way is correct. There's only one correct way to spell a Thai word, and that's in Thai.

I am happy to see you agree with me that it is not unusual to phonetically spell words differently. However, I'll wager Thai native speakers spell the same Thai words differently in Thai--just as native English speakers cannot agree on the spelling of so many English words.

Doesn't take long.

So, BritMan, because you learned to read Thai script, you think your phonetic spelling of Thai words surpasses all others? I doubt your pronunciation of Thai words lacks a farang accent and that you cannot spell, let alone know, all Thai words.

There's nothing unusual about it. It's just funny when people think their way is correct. There's only one correct way to spell a Thai word, and that's in Thai.

I am happy to see you agree with me that it is not unusual to phonetically spell words differently. However, I'll wager Thai native speakers spell the same Thai words differently in Thai--just as native English speakers cannot agree on the spelling of so many English words.

You clearly don't understand how written Thai works then.

You clearly don't understand how written Thai works then.

No I don't, please explain.

Its amusing to read that "cheap charlie's" seems the be the topic most have responded to on this thread. ;-)

Let the slagging begin. ;-)

generally dresses like a bum, especially when going to a government office (shorts, grubby t-shirt/singlet, flip flops)

how must dressed? If in Thailand Hot in many place, even in a goverment office..

I do not want to be sweaty

So

Yes I DO IT!!!biggrin.png

Believe it or not, there is a law (not usually enforced) that you must dress politely in a government office. This means trousers, shoes and a proper shirt. I liked your reply though, very funny. Enjoy life ! :-)

I was at a bar the other night with my girl having a quiet drink, I am a fairly regular customer at this bar and I usually pay at the end of the night and leave a tip. This time it was a new girl that served me and wanted me to pay straight away, so I paid but didn't leave a tip as it was out first drink. This loud mouthed Farang? expat? commented I was miserable, a cheap Charlie and went on and no and got louder and louder until he left. ( I might add I do buy a girl a drink from time to time and the same with tips, also I live here and am not rich, and have a fixed amount to spend each week so I can't afford to leave tips every time I buy a drink ) If he didn't leave when he did, he was getting very close to getting smacked in the mouth.

He is one of the ugly farangs that live here ! Needed to get himself a nice girl or boy? for the night, it might cheer him up a bit, he certainly needed something !

I can relate to your situation & experience, as this being the norm.

There appears to always be some loud mouth guy wanting to make himself look superior to the ladies he's there to get on the cheap, by insulting another foreigner for not providing more,

which if they fall for and oblige;

he most likely will later take credit for with the lady which sucked up to him for his suppose bravery.

I've found a quick beat to the ground for the load mouth,

helps him to achieve what he was after,

just not leaving him in a healthy state to truly enjoy his later adventure;

as he had planned for,

a commitment to never return to the dive hole that harbor these loud mouths,

will help me in the end...

right !! but he left alone, just looked like a loud mouthed looser. I seen him there again and he never said a word.. and alone again !!

Its amusing to read that "cheap charlie's" seems the be the topic most have responded to on this thread. ;-)

generally dresses like a bum, especially when going to a government office (shorts, grubby t-shirt/singlet, flip flops)

how must dressed? If in Thailand Hot in many place, even in a goverment office..

So

Believe it or not, there is a law (not usually enforced) that you must dress politely in a government office. This means trousers, shoes and a proper shirt. I liked your reply though, very funny. Enjoy life ! :-)

I lived here nearly 2 years and wear shorts and tee shirt all the time, but they are never grubby !! maybe sweaty as the day goes on, but not grubby..

So

I lived here nearly 2 years and wear shorts and tee shirt all the time, but they are never grubby !! maybe sweaty as the day goes on, but not grubby..

Grubby or not, not appropriate dress in some situations e.g. going to a wedding,..much the same in some Thai places but they probably just think you farangie not understand or have no respect or just plain ignorant. laugh.png

So

I know. but in Thailand law.. it not realy follow.

Enjoy life ! :-)

Yes , I DO ITbiggrin.png

wai.gif

So

Grubby or not, not appropriate dress in some situations e.g. going to a wedding,..much the same in some Thai places but they probably just think you farangie not understand or have no respect or just plain ignorant. laugh.png

not appropriate dress in some situations e.g. going to a wedding

Last time go to wedding Party my american friend maried with HK girl, few year ago from HK to Pilipin..

All dressed shorts.. and slipper or sandals..

If HOT what need dressed???

or you want to be sweaty as pork?cheesy.gif

Thai places but they probably just think you farangie

Yes i know many Thai racist..biggrin.png

Thai places but they probably just think you...or just plain ignorant.gigglem.gif

People who do not consider the woman's full human (the woman to sit near a monkcan not be, as example)..

People who like firewood or sacks of potatoes transport their children in the back of the truck...
People who eat from common dishes hands, and sometimes on the floor..
People sell their daughters as meat(sin sot/sot)..
so who is ignorant?
I am not care what they think about melaugh.png
You care?
Edited by ardokano

Well HK to Pilipin,...... not same way of thinking. rolleyes.gif

Farangie Thai racist.......People who think a Thai word meaning westerner is racist IMO don't really get it. blink.png

People who do not consider etc...etc........Sounds like you have a lot of issues. laugh.png

Not bothered about what anyone thinks of me but still don't see anything wrong in trying to understand and respect other country cultures.

Not being overly concerned about what other people are thinking doesn't mean going out of one's way to drive their opinion of you to the lowest possible level, nor does it excuse indecency, thoughtlessness, rudeness, or lack of common consideration & courtesy, ESPECIALLY as a guest in a foreign country. 'Not rocket science to see how appropriate dress figures into that. Thailand. The Philippines. Anywhere.

I don't believe there is any dispute among NES on how to spell English words.

Edited by BritManToo

When I first moved to Thailand I was told that the belief there was that the person at the table who has the most wealth (or perceived wealth) pays the bill, not just once but every time. I went along with this until I met my wife who told me that it was nonsense. Certainly when we visit her family they insist on paying even though I am "perceived" to have more money than them. We then reciprocate when they visit us.

Living in Thailand means different things to different people. If you spend all your time with the girls in the bars you probably have very different experiences to having a wife and kids.

My understanding is more along the lines of "if I ask people out to dinner, I pay, if they ask me out to dinner they pay". These days I've even seen younger Thais going "dutch"

• 2 weeks later...

'Many . . . assimilate fully into the culture'

Apart from Hong Kong I can't think of any country in this part of the world where Western 'expats' assimilate less into the local culture.

There is no assimilation in Japan, I assume none in So. Korea and little or none in China