UK govt review casts doubt on future of British Embassy in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

From 173:

What do they do there? Sit with their feet up on the desk all day? Remember those card players in Pattaya, what did they do to help them? They weren't drug smuggling, or any other serious offence, but they did nothing...

What exactly did you have in mind?

sas-1.jpg

Dream on!

Edited by evadgib

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen a lot of moaners on this thread about service at our Embassy, may be our embassy should be more like Thai hospitals, first person to great you is the cashier... maybe our Embassy and Consulate services should first ask if you are still paying UK tax and NI... gigglem.gif

Once past normal retirement age you cease to having to pay NI. I know because I worked till I was 68 and ceased to pay it at 65.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed, again. Please stop using bold font when posting.

You may want to look south to KL, where last year the Brits moved out of their large high commission on Jalan Ampang into an office tower on Jalan Binjai. That will be what happens here should the Wireless Road spot be sold.

Yes, a sad state of affairs, the endless downwards spiral of economic doom and gloom. Poor old Blighty!

The empire has all but fallen. The pulling out of the Euro is the next nail in the coffin for the U.K.

Little Britain is becoming a reality.

70140407.jpg

Edited by Wilsonandson

Yes, a sad state of affairs, the endless downwards spiral of economic doom and gloom. Poor old Blighty!

The empire has all but fallen. The pulling out of the Euro is the next nail in the coffin for the U.K.

Little Britain is becoming a reality.

quote]

---------/

Strange that, as in the latter 90's due to much public pressure, the UK thankfully did NOT adopt the Euro.

Edited by nontabury

Perhaps they could sell the current site to the EU foreign service (or whatever it is called). The current normal rules regarding financial austerity don't seem to apply to EU bodies...

...yes I am bitter and twisted

Edited by JAG

In the past I've found the British Embassy support for UK businesses to be first class ....... but the prime, central location of the embassy and the fine old Ambassadors residence was a key part of this service as it created the impression that the UK still had some power an influence overseas.

An embassy in the Trendy building could not do this, and so the embassy will fail at their core task.

And does the current government have the moral right to sell the family silver for some short term financial gains?