Drought intensifies across Thailand

webfact

Drought intensifies across Thailand

BANGKOK, 7 April 2016 (NNT) - Across the country, the drought crisis has been felt by farmers and local residents alike, who struggled to supply their plantations and homes.

Kamphaeng Phet Governor Thani Thanyaphot, along with related agencies joined in distributing water pumps to over 200 households in Song Tham district.

Meanwhile in Phang-Nga province, residents of Thai Mueng and Takua Pa districts have had to purchase water, as existing sources have been salinated.

In Mukdahan province, Governor Surasith Rithsornkrai oversaw the distribution of tractors in accordance with his administration's policy to assist impoverished farmers. Tractors were given to farmers and agricultural offices in Khamchai district.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-07 footer_n.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wait, this is only the beginning of the problems.

As in the original post, the big problem that a lot of people do not realise is the problem of saline.

As the water table keeps dropping the saline concentration increases to the point where wells and bore holes become useless, if salt contamination gets into the farm lands then the land can be barren for more than 10 years!

I really do not think the Government has given any of this the serious thought that it deserves, but then again, they are just poor farmers anyway right? Who needs them.

What is the point of providing a tractor when no one is ploughing anything as there is no water to plant any crops. It would have been better spent on water pumps. Isaan is currently like the dust bowl of the 1930s American depression and there is no guarantee of things changing soon as these extreme weather effects are becoming more severe and prolonged.

As in the original post, the big problem that a lot of people do not realise is the problem of saline.

As the water table keeps dropping the saline concentration increases to the point where wells and bore holes become useless, if salt contamination gets into the farm lands then the land can be barren for more than 10 years!

I really do not think the Government has given any of this the serious thought that it deserves, but then again, they are just poor farmers anyway right? Who needs them.

What do you want them to do? If drilling wells doesn't help they can bring water with trucks, for drinking that is.

Gee Tractors were given. I have never drank a tractor.

You should try one, they're quite good.

2 shots Lao Khow + sqeeze of lime topped up with beer Chang. Everyone is drinking them.

Edited by somo

What is the point of providing a tractor when no one is ploughing anything as there is no water to plant any crops. It would have been better spent on water pumps. Isaan is currently like the dust bowl of the 1930s American depression and there is no guarantee of things changing soon as these extreme weather effects are becoming more severe and prolonged.

The tractors are probably used to drive pumps...quite common.

post-55970-0-41880100-1460029980_thumb.j

post-55970-0-68175700-1460029988_thumb.j

post-55970-0-09499400-1460029997_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

How are the golf courses those days? Quite green from what I have seen....

It may come as a big surprise to you but many golf courses are able to keep the fairways and greens in good condition because they have their own water supplies eg underground and off-course reservoirs. Maybe you've never considered the fact that golf package tours form a part of Thai tourist revenue, the same as Songkran. Why should any single source of tourist revenue be singled out for your uninformed remark? BTW Thai also play golf and are having their cars, SUVs and pick-ups cleaned at home or in car wash facilities as I type. They aren't too worried about the current water shortage so why not let them continue in their 'happy' world?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

attachicon.gifCapture3.JPG

I don't understand why they let the tractor do that. It takes ages to drive it to the land.

Build a stand where the motobike can drive the pump, is much faster and easyier and also saves a lot of fuel i guess.

It may come as a big surprise to you but many golf courses are able to keep the fairways and greens in good condition because they have their own water supplies eg underground and off-course reservoirs. Maybe you've never considered the fact that golf package tours form a part of Thai tourist revenue, the same as Songkran. Why should any single source of tourist revenue be singled out for your uninformed remark? BTW Thai also play golf and are having their cars, SUVs and pick-ups cleaned at home or in car wash facilities as I type. They aren't too worried about the current water shortage so why not let them continue in their 'happy' world?

But but but...golf is a luxurious sport for elite in BKK and we like to bash them...whistling.gif

I don't understand why they let the tractor do that. It takes ages to drive it to the land.

Build a stand where the motobike can drive the pump, is much faster and easyier and also saves a lot of fuel i guess.

A tractor has greater torque...drive it through the mud...drive it up and down canal embankments...maybe even use it to plant/harvest rice, etc. Expect the clutch/gear system of a motorcycle would not last long under the strain of driving a water pump....if it was better/cheaper Thais would already be doing it.

I'm sure the elusive Thailand Polar Bear are about to die out too!

Gee Tractors were given. I have never drank a tractor.

You should try one, they're quite good.

2 shots Lao Khow + sqeeze of lime topped up with beer Chang. Everyone is drinking them.

The most exquisite Thai hangover I bet!

Leave the government alone they are to busy ramming the constitution down the (parched) throat of the Thai people. They are to busy at this to get serious about the drought besides it will solve itself.

A tractor has greater torque...drive it through the mud...drive it up and down canal embankments...maybe even use it to plant/harvest rice, etc. Expect the clutch/gear system of a motorcycle would not last long under the strain of driving a water pump....if it was better/cheaper Thais would already be doing it.

They don't plant or harvest rice every day but watering has to be done.

With the correct gearratio i bet a motobike/scooter can drive a pump like that. I've seen those tractors on the road and man are they slow. Sure the farmer also has a motocy or car to drive.

If it was better cheaper then it still needs a good engineer to build it, Thai engineers have never impressed me, nothing they make really works. They even didn't made a roof on that tractor.

But but but...golf is a luxurious sport for elite in BKK and we like to bash them...whistling.gif

They should donate their water to the common good. The military should article 44 golf course water.

They should donate their water to the common good. The military should article 44 golf course water.

Don't ask me why but our gardeners still water the lawns like usual, many hours a day, every day the same lawns. Also the lakes are being filled right now.