Dog butcher arrested in North East Thailand

webfact

Probably suprise most of you that in your Native Countries it is not illegal to kill or consume Dogs. just generally frowned upon. A few years back a Man killed his Rottweiler in NZ and ate it. He was fined by Authorities not for killing the Dog and eating it. But because he cut its throat which is not seen as humane. I agree with the view that the dog is probably diseased, rabid or worm infested. Thailand does need Dog Control . I too feel it is horrific to kill pups like that.

A few years ago there used to be dog farms in the Phetchabun area, I often used to see a caged truck travelling the country roads at night.

Can't remember when - some years ago - but didn't the Thai govt. clear all the dogs off Bangkoks' streets because of a special visitor.

The Philippines, especially in big cities, at one time, used to round up stray dogs and take them somewhere .....

Saudi Arabia had contracted a well known pest control company to ensure there were no dogs on the streets, the dogs caught were to be put down humanely. Philippine workers used blow darts to tranquilize the dogs and the vets with them was to put the dogs to sleep. They didn't have the heart for that so, they blow darted the dogs and took them off to a desert area and released them.

I lived and worked in one of those "release" areas. What happened ? Natures natural balance got screwed. Where there had been desert foxes, feral cats ( not moggies gone wild ), snakes etc and so on down - all had enough to eat - all had survived perhaps hundreds of years - all disappeared. What remained were some very emaciated dogs that were eaten by the new batch of dumped city dogs and rats that had no enemies. How long did this take to occur ? About 2 - 3 years !!! The vet of our farm intervened and made an agreement that all dogs normally released in our area should be brought to him and he would put them to sleep - a job he did not like. The natural wildlife never did recover.

ohhh please one apprehended canine butcher is a mere minuscule percentage point on the whole dog trade here and certainly does not signify that the junta is barking up the right tree

And there are those who say the junta are dragging this country back to the dark ages. If this disgustingly cruel practice is eliminated from this 'emerging' country, here is just one example of why I strongly disagree.

Correct, this is just a small guy at the bottom of the food chain in dog meat sales. If they arrested one of the mafia-men who control the international sales route through Laos to Vietnam, I would be a lot more impressed. He probably wasn't paying enough tea money to the local cops, so they decided to shake him down with an arrest. He'll be back at his job soon enough, but will know his place in the food chain and cough up tea money when requested. whistling.gif

Heard about Thai dogs being rounded up and sent North. Buang Kan borders Laos.

Friend of mine had 3 friendly soi dogs adopt the space right outside his drive gate. Gone now, somebody came and rounded them up.

Just a few yrs ago we had a dog catcher come round our village outside Udon Thani.They used to round them up in the late evening and put them in a cage on the back of a pickup. Havn't a clue where they went,but I'm Guessing it wasn't the vets.But it sure sorted the stray, howling, dogs fighting all night in packs.For some reason they stopped patrolling and the problem soon re-appeared.bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

ohhh please one apprehended canine butcher is a mere minuscule percentage point on the whole dog trade here and certainly does not signify that the junta is barking up the right tree

And there are those who say the junta are dragging this country back to the dark ages. If this disgustingly cruel practice is eliminated from this 'emerging' country, here is just one example of why I strongly disagree.

Despite your puny pun, it's a start. Something which has never happened before. But bring it on, I often wonder at why and how it is that those from 'first world countries' left their consciences at the airport. Those who defend cruelty to animals, notwithstanding the opprobrium/penalties in their home countries, shores up my feeling that the countries who have hitherto handed out no penalty, do indeed attract the very dregs of humanity. Where will you sadists go when these developing countries catch up? And they will. And that'll be the back of you and your sickening ilk. I'm also of the opinion that not one defending this barbarism is NOT a whore monger. I'm right aren't I? Word is that your turn for disposal is next. You are despised. Good riddance.

Edited by dageurreotype

Heard about Thai dogs being rounded up and sent North. Buang Kan borders Laos.

Friend of mine had 3 friendly soi dogs adopt the space right outside his drive gate. Gone now, somebody came and rounded them up.

Just a few yrs ago we had a dog catcher come round our village outside Udon Thani.They used to round them up in the late evening and put them in a cage on the back of a pickup. Havn't a clue where they went,but I'm Guessing it wasn't the vets.But it sure sorted the stray, howling, dogs fighting all night in packs.For some reason they stopped patrolling and the problem soon re-appeared.bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

And so you would wholeheartedly support dogs, including peoples pets, being rounded up and butchered in Australia? Go home.

Eating and selling dog meat in Thailand was commonplace up until the early 90's. They only started to outlaw it because they didn't want to offend tourists.

Footbinding and comfort women were also tolerated until they realised it offended the sensibilities of more advanced societies.

If the dogs are killed humanly I don't see a problem. Many of us who have lived in sois with roaming packs of dogs have often thought of dispatching them when they keep us awake in the dead of night!

And by that reasoning, completely agree. So how about a posse to round up the kids on souped up bikes robbing and killing people with machetes of a night? Any takers?

Yes the Junta are very much dragging the country back years.

The dog meat trade in LOS is big business and has been for many many years and was in operation for every coup/junta in the last 100 years, so sorry no credit for them., now on occasion each government has had some success catching people in the dog trafficking trade but as there is money to be made it will still keep going on.

Also if the junta were so good for the country WHY has it taken 2 years for them to find ONE dog butcher and make a song and dace about it???

I years ago worked in an abattoir where sheep cattle and pigs were slaughtered, the cattle were shot with a bolt gun, the sheep with a knife and the pigs with a hammer, now things have changed in OZ for the better. So is it just dogs being butchered you have a problem with or all animals for meat?

Wow. What a completely moronic remark. Oh, and by the way, sweet dreams bah.gif

Have they made eating dogs illegal then? It's a pretty common thing up in our area. Were they going to tell the hill tribes that it is illegal then? I must have missed the notice.

They kill every creature that can be caught, why a penalty for dogs only? Dogs are about the only animal here that needs to be reduced in population, well rats too.

Here's an idea. It's well known that people in poor countries with a huge wealth gap will eat anything which swims flies or crawls. How about measures toward closing that gap and giving the poor an opportunity to eat something other than barbecued rat/dog? Can you imagine the Amart indulging in this disgusting practice? No? Why not? Duh.

Every Journey begins with a FIRST STEP!

The "Naysayers" will never be happy.

What amazes me is that this guy is charging more for his dog meat than I am paying for my pork at the market. 80 baht for 500 grams for dog meat compared to 140 baht per kilo for pork..

Are you sure you"re getting pork...?

What amazes me is that this guy is charging more for his dog meat than I am paying for my pork at the market. 80 baht for 500 grams for dog meat compared to 140 baht per kilo for pork..

Unless dogs started wearing pigskin and have heads that look like a pig I would say I am sure. Being that I get my meat sliced right off of the pig in front of me and if I want ground pork I use what I buy and make them carve off the fat and they grind that up in front of me as well...

It's not so much just a moral issue as opinions vary.

The problem is health related.

Wrong. Morals, like Truth, do not vary.

My best guess is that you posted your replies while being drunk, because none of them makes much sense.

I just picked out this one because as this post shows best how you lost your thinking capabilities, probably under the influence of alcohol, and started posting rants.

Morals vary not only from country to country, they even vary from person to person.

A moral is a standard of behavior;

- in China its pretty much okay to eat dog meat, in Europe not. That shows there are different morals between China and Europe.

- vegetarians think its amoral to eat meat, non-vegetarians think its pretty much okay to eat meat. That shows there a different morals between persons.

So how can you say that morals, like truth, do not vary?

.....get some 'dog on your fork'...doesn't sound right at all...sad.png

Simply put there is a huge dog problem in Thailand. They are diseased (sometimes rabid); they defecate indiscriminately - a health hazard; they cause accidents that contribute to Thailand's poor road safety record; they are noisy and can cause insomnia. Vets do nothing because of Thailand's version of Buddhism.

The Government will do nothing till the problem bites them in the orifice. Roaming dog packs will hardly endear Thailand to the millions of potential Chinese tourists. Perhaps when tourist numbers start to fall something might get done.

Just what exactly has this got to do with the junta?

more likely the influence of organisations like Soi Dog Foundation.

• 2 weeks later...