extension --- its a numbers game

My current permission to stay ( retirement) is due to expire on 6th May.....however as I need to return" home" I decided to apply for the extension to stay early.

MY 90 day report was due on 5th April......so yesterday ( 7th April) I decided to attend to both these issues.

For the 90 day report I was (technically ) 2 days late - but 6th April was public holiday. I did my 90 day report first but was given a new " receipt" stating my next report was due on 6th MAY( as this is day my current extension is due to expire and I knew this would happen).

I then went to apply for a new extension based on retirement. Got called to counter fairly quickly and paperwork assessed. ONLY new item was a page I had to sign to acknowledge the new rules regarding overstay and that I understood and acknowledged these new rules.

I was given an " under consideration" stamp. This also happened last year ( but last year I was offered a fast track service for a fee to have the new permission to stay stamp put in passport immediately ----this WAS NOT offered this year).

However , what has surprised me is that the " under consideration " stamp is usually dated for 30 days --- that is when you are advised to return to immigration to get the actual new permission to stay stamp put into passport.

HOWEVER , the date I have been told to return to immigration for new permission to stay stamp is 5th JUNE ( effectively 2 months away).

I suppose this is because I have applied for the new permission to stay early...........and the under consideration is ( and will always be ) 30 days from the expiry of your old( current) permission to stay.

So now I have to return to immigration on 6th May for 90 day report ( irrelevant if I leave the country) and also 5th June to have new permission to stay stamp entered into passport( should be back by then- will have to be back by then I suppose ).

Sometimes dealing with immigration can be a numbers game.

Oh bye the way I use Udon Thani office.

I think that was done at Udon Thani immigration. They have started doing the 30 day report back date from the date your current permit to stay ends like many other offices do. There was a earlier post by a member that reported the same thing happening.

If you wanted to travel between now and the report back date in June you could get a re-entry permit that would be valid to that date.

I wonder what they will do when you go back to do your 90 day report again next month since you will still have the same permit to stay date. Are they going to do it to June 5th? I think that was something you should of sorted out before leaving the office. They might of changed it to June 5th.

correct Ubonjoe. In hindsight ....I probably should have done the application for extension FIRST ......then the 90 day report. I assume that if I had --then the 90 day report would have been due on 5th June also. But I thought it pointless -after doing the application for extension to stay and getting the under consideration stamp to then do ANOTHER 90 day report with the same guy that I had done one with 1 hr earlier.

It is no real problem as the office is only 15 mins drive away and it gets me out of the house.

I will of course get a re-entry permit before leaving the country- but I assume that will only be valid until 5th June also------so I will simply have to return to the kingdom before 5th June to get my new permission to stay stamp.

Personally I have no problems with visits to Udon Thani Immigration office .................generally I find them quite efficient and polite. But like ALL immigration offices they could do with a bigger building.

For the 90 day report I was (technically ) 2 days late - but 6th April was public holiday. I did my 90 day report first but was given a new " receipt" stating my next report was due on 6th MAY( as this is day my current extension is due to expire and I knew this would happen).

Since you reported that you have been in Thailand 90 days since your last report, reporting again on 6th May (even though that's when you extension expires) seems especially strange since you wouldn't have been in Thailand for another 90 day period by then. And if you travel out of Thailand the report back date on the receipt would become irrelevant because you'd begin a new 90 day count from when you are admitted to Thailand again.

I understand why they wouldn't show a report back date past when you have permission to stay in Thailand. Maybe it's just a reminder that you need to renew your extension before then. Sometimes when I've done a report they've verbally reminded me that I need to renew my extension before it expires, but I've never been given a report-back receipt for less than the full 90 days.

I don't understand about the 90 day report it has nothing to do with the extension of stay. The 90 day can be done up 14 days in advance and 7 days after the due date. Why did they only give the poster 30 days until the next report ? As for the extension of stay this can be done up to 30 days prior the the expire date. I also go to to Div 1 BKK And always do my 1 year extension and re entry on the same day. The 90 day report has no bearing on the extension of stay as when you leave the kingdom you receive another 90 days on return. Must be different rules for different offices?

Some immigration office only do a 90 day report to the date the extension ends.

I have had that done when my report date would of been after the the date my extension based upon marriage ends. The last time they did it I did my extension and 90 report 2 weeks before my extension was ending. Then they only did the next report date to the report back date on the under consideration stamp. (about 45 day later),

Last year they did not change the date and it was just before my report back date.

I have had that done when my report date would of been after the the date my extension based upon marriage ends. The last time they did it I did my extension and 90 report 2 weeks before my extension was ending. Then they only did the next report date to the report back date on the under consideration stamp. (about 45 day later),

Last year they did not change the date and it was just before my report back date.

My last on line 90 day report resulted in a date which equated with my extension expiring (less than 90 days)

The IO gave me a new 90 day report date when the extension was renewed.

Same as happened to me and I went early too. The only difference was that I went to apply for extension first then my 90 day report was dated the same as my return date. Any chance of going back to office and ask them synchronize the dates?

I always get the full 90 days (Nakorn Pathom), but with a handwritten remark on the 90-days-slip if the extension is due in the mean time. I don't know how they handle it when the 90-days-report is done online, as i've not tried it yet.

Just in case you do not know how to count 90 days is 90 days 30 + 30 + 30 ..... not 92 days and no 3 month just 90 days ...2 days late open the doors for anything ...you been here for very long you should know that 90 days is 90 days not 92 days so now pay for the consequences .....and by the way This is Thailand just in case you forgot.

Just to be on the safe side when my extension is due on the same date or near that my 90 days reporting I do 90 days first then walk out go and have a coffee and return and do my extension. If my extension is before that my 90 days then I just do my extension and then continue as normal with my 90 days.

Is just a question of planing and allocating 1/2 day every 3 months and 1 day a year for extension .....not so hard is it ?????

Just in case you do not know how to count 90 days is 90 days 30 + 30 + 30 ..... not 92 days and no 3 month just 90 days ...2 days late open the doors for anything ...you been here for very long you should know that 90 days is 90 days not 92 days so now pay for the consequences .....and by the way This is Thailand just in case you forgot.

You seem to be not be aware you can do your 90 day report up to 15 day before the report date or 7 days after the report date that includes the report date. See: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

• Like 2

You seem to be not be aware you can do your 90 day report up to 15 day before the report date or 7 days after the report date that includes the report date. See: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

Very aware about the Immigration Laws in this country but this is Thailand and to avoid problems and not having discussion with officers not aware of the laws in different immigration areas my suggestion is to maintain the schedule to 90 day max. that way will never be a problem.

But ??? up to you what you do anyway .....

I think it's time the Embassies got together on to this problem of the anomalies of, not only in differing reporting dates, but also the documentation required for Visa renewal. Having read the experiences of peeps at different Immigration Offices there are clearly anomalies from Office to Office. To my mind, there should be a central website that one can refer to to get the "absolute" answer, which should also be available on every Embassy Website. Oh, just woke up........where am I? Ah TIT.coffee1.gif

correct Ubonjoe. In hindsight ....I probably should have done the application for extension FIRST ......then the 90 day report. I assume that if I had --then the 90 day report would have been due on 5th June also. But I thought it pointless -after doing the application for extension to stay and getting the under consideration stamp to then do ANOTHER 90 day report with the same guy that I had done one with 1 hr earlier.

It is no real problem as the office is only 15 mins drive away and it gets me out of the house.

I will of course get a re-entry permit before leaving the country- but I assume that will only be valid until 5th June also------so I will simply have to return to the kingdom before 5th June to get my new permission to stay stamp.

Personally I have no problems with visits to Udon Thani Immigration office .................generally I find them quite efficient and polite. But like ALL immigration offices they could do with a bigger building.

In Phuket when you do your retirement extension they automatically do the 90 days at the same time, starting from the retirement extension date.

OP here again .

Please understand ....that I have NO ISSUES with the way my visit to Immigration went. I knew the "90 day" would ONLY be until the end date of my current permission to stay.

My only question was about the " under consideration" being stamped as 30 days from the date of expiry of my current permission to stay , whereas I was expecting it to be 30 days from my date of application.

It is not a big issue.............the annual visit to immigration is a day out of the house and as I said in the OP ....I find Udon Thani Immigration to be polite and generally fast and efficient.

A 15 min drive into immigration for a 2 minute 90 day report is no problem. I will just have to ensure that if ( and at this stage it is just an IF ) I do have to travel " home" that I come back before 5th June to obtain new permission to stay stamp .

I assume however .................that my re-entry permit ( when I apply for it at the airport) will only be valid until 5th June also.

Ubonjoe ....perhaps you can confirm this ????

With the current ---Bad guys out , good guys in ---approach I can understand why they would NOT give a re-entry permit that exceeds the permission to stay date.

And as others have stated ------------I am sure that when I get my new permission to stay stamp , I will also have a 90 day report done at the same time.

You re-entry permit will only be valid until June the 5th. It might be good idea to get it at Udon immigration. I am not sure how familiar the staff at the airport is with doing them for a under consideration period.

OP here again .

Please understand ....that I have NO ISSUES with the way my visit to Immigration went. I knew the "90 day" would ONLY be until the end date of my current permission to stay.

My only question was about the " under consideration" being stamped as 30 days from the date of expiry of my current permission to stay , whereas I was expecting it to be 30 days from my date of application.

I would have expected the same.

When I did marriage extension at Sri Ratcha, my permission to stay was 24th July and I made the application on 9th July, under consideration was until 8th August.