Songkran celebration on Khao San road shortened to two days

webfact

To all of you against the celebration. Your all a bunch of whingers. This is an annual Thai tradition, Christmas and the likes is not, and yet they cater for that for foreigners. If you don't like the Thai traditions then leave,rather than whinge and moan. I know who are the ones the need to grow up, the ones whinging about it rather than the ones celebrating it for what it is.

Lots of people think 1 day

I say keep the Songran festival but just turn the water off during dayight hours

Serious drought means what it says and to even consider allowing idiots to throw away this precious resource is ludicrous

People can enjoy the New Year without resorting to throwing water - 20 years ago people survived without mobile phones and the INternet so they can cope with a new year without throwing water

Maybe it is more about making gobs of money

JGV

What does this mean?

Only two days water throwing or two days alcohol selling on the street?

What happens at nine o/clock at the end of day two?

And what about Silom?

Interesting to see the tanks rolling down the street at 21:00 to control it all.

PS I'll be safely locked into my room to watch it all on television.

To all of you against the celebration. Your all a bunch of whingers. This is an annual Thai tradition, Christmas and the likes is not, and yet they cater for that for foreigners. If you don't like the Thai traditions then leave,rather than whinge and moan. I know who are the ones the need to grow up, the ones whinging about it rather than the ones celebrating it for what it is.

And will YOU leave when the country runs out of water.

Traditional rituals include cleaning the home, preparing and offering food to monks, visiting the temple, washing Buddha statues, and paying respect to elders. The water used to clean the Buddha statues is kept to gently pour over older family members. This symbolises cleansing in preparation for the year ahead, and is thought to bring good fortunes and health to the elders. This tradition eventually mutated into a drunken water fight.

Traditional rituals include cleaning the home, preparing and offering food to monks, visiting the temple, washing Buddha statues, and paying respect to elders. The water used to clean the Buddha statues is kept to gently pour over older family members. This symbolises cleansing in preparation for the year ahead, and is thought to bring good fortunes and health to the elders. This tradition eventually mutated into a drunken water fight.

I have been here a long time and after taking part in the great misuse of water for the first time my (Thai) wife and vowed we would never do it again. My wife suggested that we revert to the mentioned tradition here which we did. The traditional way is by far the more enjoyable procedure where one meets friends, family, chatting and laughter with meals. It's fun and expats learn about traditional customs. If someone does have one to too many to drink they can sleep it off. You can't do any of that screaming and jumping around on the back of a pickup or on the side of the road drenching all who pass by.

And will YOU leave when the country runs out of water.
It does seem wasteful but I wonder if water fights really mean anything compared to daily industrial and agricultural use, which could be officially curtailed (at great economic cost).

By the way the fancy salon that cuts my toenails in Chiang Mai had NO water pressure today. My hands and feet were washed with the large drinking water jugs they had to run out and buy. About 2 hours ago it was real cloudy here and looked like it would rain but it cleared.

Pray For Rain Please!