Songkran celebration on Khao San road shortened to two days

webfact

Water celebration on Khao San road shortened to two days

Khao-San-Road-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Celebration of Songkran festival on Khao San road, one of the three popular places for water splashing in Bangkok, this year will be shortened to two days instead of three days in previous years as water shortage in the country has reached its critical time in 20 years and all the people are requested by the government to conserve water and enjoying the water fighting sparingly.

Normally the celebration at the place packed with both foreign tourists and locals will be held for three days from April 13-15.

But this year’s water shortage crisis, it will be only from April13-14.

“Celebrations will start on April 13 and 14 from morning and the streets here from Banglampoo intersection to Kokwua junction will be closed for traffic till 9pm in the evening. ”, said Pol Col Rangsarn Praditapohn, superintendent of Chanasongkram police station said.

This year authorities including the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, the metropolitan police and the communities in Khao San are trying to make a difference by introducing alternative ways to celebrate the water festival while being environmentally conscious.

Water conservation is the most concern this year for Thais but at the same time balancing the need to showcase Thailand’s largest cultural celebration and to welcome foreign tourists who simply want a real taste of real Songkran must be carefully made, a city official said.

The goodwill of foreign tourists and their understanding on the state of water shortage in the country and the need to conserve water and still have fun, he said.

Meanwhile the president of the Khao San Business Council Mr Piyabutr Jiuramonaikul said that the community in Khao San are encouraged by the two day celebration plans and has been requested by authorities that there be no celebrations on April 15.

He recommended tourists coming to celebrate to use water pistols, refrain from using face powder and be decently attired at all times during the celebration especially for ladies, to avoid sexual harassment.

However, he said keeping the celebration alcohol-free might be a tall order for authorities to restrict people especially foreign tourists from refraining.

For this year, he said the community has been requested by the city administration to keep the April 15 free from celebration.

Every year, heavy celebration also meant heavy alcohol consumption which leaves the alcohol stench for many days after the celebration is gone.

But he said he hoped that if the community people have succeeded to have people consume less alcohol say by 10% this year maybe we can try for 15-10% in the subsequent year.

We are hopeful but do not expect to completely abolish alcohol consumption entirely, he said.

Meanwhile security will be heightened at the celebration on Khao San road with over 150 CCTV cameras installed along with nine more security checkpoints set up at various spots to ensure no weapon or alcohol are brought into the area.

In addition 300 police officers will be on duty working around the clock during the celebration.

The Khao San road stretching about 400 meters will be overcrowded with tourists celebrating the water festival.

Authorities are uncertain if there will be a negative impact with the street vendors here who are not all aware of the change.

One street vendor said that there are approximately 100 street vendors in the area who could be affected by the shortened period.

This could be a loss of income of 20,000 baht per day on that day alone, a fast food vendor said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158757

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-08

One street vendor said that there are approximately 100 street vendors in the area who could be affected by the shortened period.

This could be a loss of income of 20,000 baht per day on that day alone, a fast food vendor said. Says a lot for trying to save water all there worried about is money

clap2.gif Getting better but I do so wish they would abolish the Infantile nonsense!

Most ex-pats loath it and many depart from Thailand or go to a Thai Resort.

I cannot this time so will ensure I have whatever I require in my apartment.

It amazes me that so called Adult foreigners come here especially to wield a huge water pistol at cars, bikes etc whilst actually in the traffic flow!

Get a life.

Edited by English 1

why not make it one day if they are so serious about water conservation?

they can make up for it by making new years eve a 3 night celebration instead of just the normal one!!!!!!!

You forgot one little detail; Songkran is the traditional Thai new year. They have commercialized christmas and halloween already, no need to swap new year too. It's still Thailand, neither farang- nor chineseland.

they can make up for it by making new years eve a 3 night celebration instead of just the normal one!!!!!!!

You forgot one little detail; Songkran is the traditional Thai new year. They have commercialized christmas and halloween already, no need to swap new year too. It's still Thailand, neither farang- nor chineseland.

Thailand is an irrational country full of superstitious beliefs, that in many ways is still living in the Dark Ages. It's full of adults who act like preteen children.

To "Thainess" - your comment -

"Thailand is an irrational country full of superstitious beliefs, that in many ways is still living in the Dark Ages. It's full of adults who act like preteen children".

Isn't Christmas a superstitious belief ? What about Druidism and the Summer Solstice. The Romans dedicated New Years Day to Janus, the pagan god of gates - January 1st follows both the Gregorian and Julian calendars ( and now a Civil calendar ) - the Julian calendar pre-dates that of the Christian one. Does this mean that anyone who celebrates January 1st as their New Years Day are pagans or just irrational ??? So all countries that celebrate a special event are irrational ? The Thai New Year is based on an astronomical calendar ( the rising of Aries ), The Romans New Years day was based on the sun, again an astronomical event. The Dark Ages followed the days of the Roman Empire when January 1st was New Years Day after which no-one could seem to agree on what day was New Years Day.

Codswallop. Very short-sighted of the BMA.

Thailand is best known for the Thai NY water festival, and this celebration is heavily advertised by the TAT.

If Bangkok would disintegrate because of 1 more day of water fights in one small area of Bangkok, then Thailand is in deeper doodah than we realise.

Instead, just declare Sunday 17th a day of no watering of traffic islands in Bangkok, and the BMA would save much more water than would be used in 1 day in Khao San road.

To "Thainess" - your comment -

"Thailand is an irrational country full of superstitious beliefs, that in many ways is still living in the Dark Ages. It's full of adults who act like preteen children".

Isn't Christmas a superstitious belief ? What about Druidism and the Summer Solstice. The Romans dedicated New Years Day to Janus, the pagan god of gates - January 1st follows both the Gregorian and Julian calendars ( and now a Civil calendar ) - the Julian calendar pre-dates that of the Christian one. Does this mean that anyone who celebrates January 1st as their New Years Day are pagans or just irrational ??? So all countries that celebrate a special event are irrational ? The Thai New Year is based on an astronomical calendar ( the rising of Aries ), The Romans New Years day was based on the sun, again an astronomical event. The Dark Ages followed the days of the Roman Empire when January 1st was New Years Day after which no-one could seem to agree on what day was New Years Day.

clap2.gif

Perhaps we could all get into a discussion about eggs and rabbits ?biggrin.png

Philippines if I have the money. Screw the idiots on Songkran. Drunk ran over young son some years ago. Had I been there, drunk wouldn't today. Throw ice water with chunks of ice and break my windshield, go to hospital. Screw Songkran as it is.

Why not cancel xmas while you're at it...They have this problem every year ....how about spending some money on some new reservoirs ?

Xmas SHOULD be canceled .

I'd rather have it every 4 years like the Olympics.

Love Songkran.....Wish it was more than 1 or 2 days..

Teeraak....Kids...even the dog go out to play with the water...Fun for them......

Me I get the house to myself dry as a bone...

beer...bbq and Rock en roll as loud as I want it....NICE

Happy Songkran folks

Thailand is an irrational country full of superstitious beliefs, that in many ways is still living in the Dark Ages. It's full of adults who act like preteen children.