Cheers Riceberry

Thunder26

Today I went to 7/11 and to my surprise I saw a new entry from Cheers beers: "Cheers Riceberry Selection".

As a beer drinker I was intrigued and bought a few samples to try. It is sold in dark coloured cans of 490 ml at 5% alcohol. I was very excited to try it and I poured it into my favourite glass.

To my surprise no Thai lager is as dark as Cheers Riceberry. You would expect to be full of flavour and bitter, but to my surprise again it was very flat. It was very smooth and drinkable like water.

I would definitely recommend it to people who don't like bitter beers and I believe it is not a beer to be mixed with ice because the taste is already watered down. Overall a pleasant surprise and I would definitely try it again.

What do you think of it?

post-56692-0-65987100-1460127950_thumb.j

Edited by Thunder26

I'll be giving it a try as I like the Cheers Xtra. The Cheers in the blue can though is nasty stuff.

It's a nice colour and hopefully it'll head down south in the near future. My nearest 7-11 which opened last week doesn't even stock alcoholic drinks. I think it may be because it's opposite a school. The other ones in town do though, I can't get my head around that one.

I've tried it again recently and I am not going to buy it again. Not my cup of tea. I prefer cheers extra to this. It's got the right flavour. On the other hand Cheers Riceberry is too flat for people who enjoy flavoured lagers or stouts. The colour is nice, but the taste is a let down.

I used to drink Chang until they changed it. Now it tastes sour. All the Thai's near me agree "oowop, breeow".

I now drink cheers xtra. At 6% alcohol volume it's the strongest lager beer available in Thailand.

Now there is another beer available in some 7/11's. Pistonhead stout beer. It's delicious but expensive compared with Cheers Xtra.

post-221427-14604757817346_thumb.jpg

post-221427-14604757993281_thumb.jpg

I just tried my first can and the colour looked good, very promising. The taste though, where is it? It's not the worst beer I've ever had but I will stick to the Cheers X-tra whenever I'm wanting something other than Leo, Chang or Singha.

I don't think the Thai palette is quite ready for a more bitter beer yet but it's a step in the right direction with the colour. Black Tiger failed here with two different breweries but maybe Thais will learn to broaden their beer horizons in the not too distant future.

• 1 month later...

I tried the new batch of Cheers Riceberry that was filled on 29th April and it was a completely different beer. Way better than the entry. I would recommend to try the latest fill. I thought it was great!

I'll heed your recommendation and give it another go after carefully checking the date on the cans.

I bought a couple of cans yesterday to see if the taste had improved and I was a little surprised that it was slightly more bitter. The fill date was 30/4/16 so maybe the first batch was not perfected yet. It could still do with more taste though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Noticed this in Rimping a few weeks back. A smelly French man came and bought the lot in the fridge.

Bought my first one earlier in the week having spotted it the local 7/11. Wished I hadn't stocked up on Chang, good stuff.

Just bought a case of 12 tins from the local beer shop, 505B. Very happy with it, just don't mix it with ice - kills the flavour.

• 10 months later...

I stumbled on this stuff last week. I had to take a second look because I couldnt believe I was seeing a Thai 'dark' beer. I bought one. The one I had then seemed to have more kick than the can I drank last night. I like it, it could be a bit fuller in taste. If they fine tune it and it becomes consistently stronger in taste I am going to be a regular. I am so sick of the Leo,Chang,Singh merrygoround... I love Lao dark but its not easy for me to get. 

Are there any other dark Thai beers? I havent found one....

On 10/8/2016 at 8:14 PM, naboo said:

Noticed this in Rimping a few weeks back. A smelly French man came and bought the lot in the fridge.

Bought my first one earlier in the week having spotted it the local 7/11. Wished I hadn't stocked up on Chang, good stuff.

Just bought a case of 12 tins from the local beer shop, 505B. Very happy with it, just don't mix it with ice - kills the flavour.

Agreed. I dont think adding ice to that would do it any flavor favors.....I want to see how it is with a little more balls to it. As I say, the first can was nice.

• 3 months later...

Just heard about Cheers Riceberry today.

I LOVE GUINNESS which is a soft, watery stout.

So, looking forward to popping a top of a cold Cheers Riceberry tonight (52B @7)

Also noticed they had the giant cans of this German dark lager for 196B:

kaiserdom-dark-lager-1-l-47.jpg

Might just do a taste test and get <deleted> WASTED ?

Bars here are like the UK .Tied by, a  mafia to sell limited rubbish.  But both Pattaya and Phuket have their own Brewers but where do you see it? Or beer Lao?  Where do you see independent choice in this day of real ale and craft beers?  I remember when bangkok airport had its own micro brewery. Why would anybdy come here to drink Heinikin or any carbonated bottled pish? Its, all the same. 

10 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Just heard about Cheers Riceberry today.

I LOVE GUINNESS which is a soft, watery stout.

So, looking forward to popping a top of a cold Cheers Riceberry tonight (52B @7)

Also noticed they had the giant cans of this German dark lager for 196B:

kaiserdom-dark-lager-1-l-47.jpg

Might just do a taste test and get <deleted> WASTED ?

Cheers riceberry bears no resemblance to Guinness whatsoever. However, it is (IMHO) a decent tasting beer, and a good alternative to the usual Thai lagers.

I have tried Kaiserdom, dark and light, they are both OK and better than the usual 7-11 fare - but, don't expect Guinness or Murphy's taste. They are Euro lagers - not stouts.

If you like "hoppy" beers, the new "U beer" from Singh is OK - a bit milder than normal Singh.

Personally, I like porter, stout, and pale ales. There are not many available at reasonable prices here in Thailand. I recently found some on the Tops supermaket website at very decent prices (approx 50 baht for a 330 cl bottle) but they sell out quickly.

I do not understand why the Thai giant breweries don't provide a bit more variety - lager - lager - lager - .....

-

Edited by chickenslegs