Uighur, Chechen Militants in Thailand to Stage Attacks, Memo Warns

rooster59

Uighur, Chechen Militants in Thailand to Stage Attacks, Memo Warns

By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

post-247607-0-29619200-1460162751_thumb.

Phuket’s Patong Beach community seen in a Dec. 4, 2015 file photo. It is a popular destination for travelers.

BANGKOK — Four militants – two from Turkey and two from Russia – are plotting terror attacks on foreign interests in Thailand and the region, a leaked intelligence warning claims.

The memo, issued by Surat Thani’s governor to local police, identified the two Turkish men by name as Uighurs and the two Russians as Chechens in a threat warning originally issued by the kingdom’s intelligence information agency, the National Intelligence Coordinating Center. Police chief Chakthip Chaijinda on Friday said the warning was real.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1460112616

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-04-09

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are lines now getting blurred as to what is terrorism

setting off a bomb, is done so to create as much fear, and destoy

as many lives as possible.

Now perfect timing to release the leak,

avoid crowds ,Russians , Chinese,

and all places where people gather.

Only accept home deliveries,

perpetuating fear is also unprofessional, Mr governor

So, stay away from places frequented by 'farangs'... i.e. those from countries aligned with attacking IS. Then now, stay away from places full of mainlander Chinese. And Russians. Roads are dangerously full of drunk idiots during Songkran, so stay off it too. And the weather is going to be very hot, so don't stay out too long. RIght... so it's off to Tesco for a few crates, bottles and essential nutritional supplies (food) and plan to stay in for the week.

By the way, wait for the flip-flop statement... that it's not true... don't know where this rumour came from... all is well... Thailand is safe... it'll never be a target for terrorists... there are no insurgents in this country... please go out and celebrate Songkran...just make sure you're dressed properly, no provocative dance moves and no drinking.

So this Songkran, look at everyone, everywhere, and at everything. Lest you get caught up in a blast zone. They kind of forget to mention this.

I can't understand why Chechens would be involved in this inside Thailand

Plenty of soft Russian targets in Pattaya and Phuket.

Prayut will call on the police to be vigilant and all will be well, Thailand is a sitting duck , they are all to complacent.

Imagine having to depend on the lesser inept police or army to defend the populace? And they call Thailand a nation.

Heaven forbid anything happens but in the horrible event that it does will it be another Erawan bombing fiasco with a half arsed scene of crime examination in order it can all be tidied up at the double followed by a disgraceful ' it wasn't terrorism ' statement ?

Can't scare tourists off now can we, that would be the major crime.

So this Songkran, look at everyone, everywhere, and at everything. Lest you get caught up in a blast zone. They kind of forget to mention this.

Five-star hotels are a favorite target, no locals only foreigners. Embassies are a favorite target. International airports, especially when inbound clusters of arriving flights have deplaned. Parades, concerts, and events with media coverage are a favorite target.

I don't know the specifics of the relationship between the Chechens and the Uighurs, but there are significant number of both of these groups in Turkey. During the Chechen war, many Chechens fled to Turkey. There was a fair amount of support, especially from Islamic groups, for the Chechens and their cause. There has been support for Uighurs who are considered to be an ethnically Turkish group. How these two groups have joined up and formed some sort of alliance, I don't understand.

Without knowing the relationship, it is hard to know what the target is. Chechens might target Russian interests, but Uighurs probably wouldn't. Uighurs might target Chinese, but would have little beef against Russia.

If the basis of this affiliation is purely religious, then pretty much anyone and anywhere could be the target.

It would be better if there was a little more background information about the nature of this group and what they might be up to.

Cant be true after all it wasn't long ago we were assured there were no terrorists in Thailand and anyway their passports would have had terrorist on it. Anyway they would need a work permit

Edited by gandalf12

Not sure if Russians in Thailand would be attractive enough for the Chechens. Moscow would be far better for them, but the Uighurs probably still feels anger towards Thailand for sending the Uighurs back to China where they would be punished. Extremists are always going to find some justification for their motives. The Chechens and the Uighurs have both also teamed up with ISIS, and Uighurs are not just in conflict with China, but throughout Central Asia and perhaps also helping the Chechens in Caucasus, most likely in hope of becoming stronger and more influenced in China.

It's just speculations on my part of course, but I don't find it odd that they have teamed up, since they're both finding themselves in similar shoes, and geographically are neighbors.

...they said 'Identified by name'.....???

...so what are they waiting for.......???

For someone to do their job for them?

I do not know why you are all so keen on bashing the Thais.

There have been some spectacular security failures in the West in the recent past but I doubt you Thai bashers would have noticed.

Try looking up the Paris and Brussels atrocities and take note of all the alleged (and reported ) "failures" by the European security forces.

edited to remove a typo.

Edited by johnatong

There have been some spectacular security failures in the West in the recent past but I doubt you Thai bashers would have noticed.

Try looking up the Paris and Brussels atrocities and take note of all the alleged (and reported ) "failures" by the European security forces.

edited to remove a typo.

could it be that we know all too well what these numptys are capable of (or not as the case may be) ? ....now i have to show my passport to post a freaking birthday card back to europe so no I have NO faith in these donkeys

edited to remove a typo.

could it be that we know all too well what these numptys are capable of (or not as the case may be) ? ....now i have to show my passport to post a freaking birthday card back to europe so no I have NO faith in these donkeys

So just more abuse thrown !

No comment about the European "donkeys"?

There are very large numbers of Chechens in Syria fighting for the Caliphate. Presumably these two have been sent by IS.

edited to remove a typo.

So just more abuse thrown !

No comment about the European "donkeys"?

If you look at the name of this forum that should give you a pretty good idea as to which country we're discussing...coffee1.gif

But since the "But, but, but..Thaksin" argument is used extensively I guess "But, but, but..Europe!" will do as well.

Are they of the Muslim faith? I think they could be but I will stand corrected if shown wrong.

Are they of the Muslim faith? I think they could be but I will stand corrected if shown wrong.

Chechnya is predominantly Muslim. Most Chechens belong to the Shafi'i school of thought of Sunni Islam.*

* Ref.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechens#Religion