SURVEY: If given the option, what would you do for Songkran?

Scott

SURVEY: If given the option, what would you do for Songkran?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first year I was in Thailand, I thought Songkran was the neatest holiday I had ever had the honor of participating. The second year, it was fun and entertaining. The 3rd year it was a bit of a nuisance. By the 4th year, I hated it.

Now, I stalk up with food and snacks and stay home and watch television and have a grand old time. I don't begrudge the locals their tradition, I just can't quite get into any longer. But I do enjoy the solitude of staying home with the occasional visit by friends, who are usually also avoiding too much revelry.

If I need to restock, I go to Foodland or 24 Hour Foodmart at 4:00 a.m.

Since Option #4 (celebrating in a more traditional manner) is just wishful thinking and not really an option, #1 (out of the country) or #3 (secluded somewhere) for me, thanks ...

This is one area where foreigners really probably are responsible for indoctrinating Thais into all the present-day excesses.

I voted to celebrate in a traditional manner. This is my Six Songkran. I prefer the temple and some water on the neck from the elders and children, I am 65.

I been thru the ice buckets of water in Isaan for many years, life threatening on a motorcycle, with your money and phone in plastic and a big rock to retaliate.

I do like to get out and be part of the activities and went and out and bought your normal household spray bottle, I am filling it with water and fabric softner, to soften up the people and keep them smelling. Holm Dee.

The girlfriend bought me a new Songkran shirt,

Happy Water Festival everyone. Remember it is about Buddha, Life and Celebration and love and peace.

(conserve water)

As most op's here,i enjoyed the festival for the first 2 years.After that,it got boring and dangerous.Seeing people dressed it business suits and dresses trying to get to work,seeing motorbike riders being hosed down by these power guns and in some cases having dustbins of ice water poured over them,and grown adults (usually pissed up) acting like children.There was also the factor of Thai people getting really angry and wanting to fight with the Ferangs and each other. So,to avoid this,i would stay home.After about 6 years i moved to Pattaya,it was even worse.Drunk Bar girls,thinking it highly hilarious to drench families with kids with water.

I met up with a couple of likely lads,from my manor back home,who went to The Philippines for the 10 days.One year i went with them,we went to Cebu island.A great time,far away from all the water and powder crap.I was surprised to meet up with guy's who i knew in Pattaya.I would recommend it. I had a bar in patts for 5 years and we(the wife and i) had to be part of the scene for the time we had it.We made money over the festival time,but we were always glad when it ended.Now we live far away from Patts.This is my first year of Songkran here so i really dont know what to expect,My wife says that its ok during the day,but at night too much boxing(drunk thais i suppose)So,i guess we will be staying in at night time.Not such a chore,i have my Satellite TV,and my WIFI and our property is securely walled and gated.I would like to go back to Cebu though,i have some good memories.

Enjoy Songkran in your own way guys.

Out enjoying our self's getting wet no big deal. It's new year after all lot of posts on this thread from killjoys who seemed to have forgotten how to have fun. Joined as a mate said it's hours of fun trawling through the posts he is so right. First observations why if the posters who don't want to have or enjoy a thai festival and new year are they here at all. ????

Out enjoying our self's getting wet no big deal. It's new year after all lot of posts on this thread from killjoys who seemed to have forgotten how to have fun. Joined as a mate said it's hours of fun trawling through the posts he is so right. First observations why if the posters who don't want to have or enjoy a thai festival and new year are they here at all. ????

Try telling them if they don't like it they should go home.

They love it when people do that.

not sure, maybe they like the winter olympics better...

Try telling them if they don't like it they should go home.

They love it when people do that.

I very much enjoy the Thai New Years festival. I have a small Buddha statue which I cleanse in the morning with a small cup of water and then light some incense. Repeat each morning for three days.

Why is there no option for "Go about my life as normal, because it's no big deal"?

That would be the "Im Thaier than you" option, includes yerself and Suradit by the look of things

Sorry but is it written somewhere that if you're an expat, you're obliged to complain about Songkran?

If people don't like it,(fair enough), then just sod off for a few days or stay home

Me, I like it. Girls in wet t-shirts and clingy hot pants?

What's not to like?

Perhaps when you get the chance to take her home and you find out that she's got a bigger one than you.?

Why is there no option for "Go about my life as normal, because it's no big deal"?

That would be the "Im Thaier than you" option, includes yerself and Suradit by the look of things

Sorry but is it written somewhere that if you're an expat, you're obliged to complain about Songkran?

If people don't like it,(fair enough), then just sod off for a few days or stay home

Me, I like it. Girls in wet t-shirts and clingy hot pants?

What's not to like?

Perhaps when you get the chance to take her home and you find out that she's got a bigger one than you.?

Is this thread about personal tales?