When Does The 90 Day Count Start?

Landed today. Flew out last on 26/10, which was the end of a 3-week stay. I average 2-weeks here, 2-weeks UK per month.

For the first time today, in addition to the normal stamps, with no additional writing or numbers, a 1" yellow highlighter pen mark was made horizontally in the top right hand corner of the stamp, but not actually highlighting anything, bar the edge of the stamp. Anyone know about this?? :o

My advice for anyone doing border runs, don’t wait for the third one before going to get a tourist visa, GET THE TOURIST VISA NOW… As if you have any problems you will have time to put them right. The early bird……………………………..

There's one thing that boggles my mind about travelling and staying in Thailand.

I am a Singaporean. Each time I travel and enter the Thai Kingdom, my nationality allows me up to 30 days maximum stay without applying for any extension or any reason (eg. Work Permit, Non B Immigrant VISA, father of a child who is a thai citizen, etc)

1) green hightlighter mark on the entry stamp in my passport (Danuk, Southern Thailand)

- how they are going to count the number of days per entry/exit count? by checking the colour of the markings and the entry/exit dates and counting the days per entry/exit?

2) Bronzerider's tracking sheet

- I see the sheet as meant to track the number of days respective of each entry/exit count

3) Airport arrivals

- entry via Bangkok's new international airport - none so far has green striped markings

- entry via Hatyai international airport - my friend came in from Singapore and got a green striped marking on his entry stamp in his passport. similar operating system to my trip across the Danuk/Kayu Bukit Hitam border? very likely.

yes I do see different immigration checkpoints making up ways as they go along and making up different ways! one question on the mechanism is - how does Thai Immigration Law count the 90 days?

* by counting the total number of days a foreigner stays in thailand regardless of numerous entries and exits?

or is it up to the different immigration checkpoints?

example 1 - one entry means that you are entitled to stay up to 30 days (for those nationalities allowed by Thai Law for non-Visa stays) regardless if you stay up to 30 days?

example 2 - as per * above?

has anyone or the knowledgeable SunBelt heard or learnt anything that can clarify this matter yet?

it's causing a headache to me regarding the counting of the 90 days. appreciate any help here.

Edited by Delifrance

it's causing a headache to me regarding the counting of the 90 days. appreciate any help here.

Get a tourist visa and don't worry about it. Truth is, I don't think anybody knows for sure how the counting is being done, least of all Thai immigrations. :o

Quote Overman<<Get a tourist visa and don't worry about it. Truth is, I don't think anybody knows for sure how the counting is being done, least of all Thai immigrations.>>

First of all to get tourist visa every time to enter Thailand is too ridiculous and not plausible for my group of tourists who come and go too often and too short that we don't even know how often, don't even mention how to count the days ourselves. Very funny, I check my passport, some exit stamps are on totally different pages to entry stamps, i cannot even match them, good job done.

In my group of tourists we will not go through the trouble to get a visa for a few days stay, if the law is strictly enforced, very bad for Thailand, we this group of money splashing tourist will be forever lost.

But if the Thai authority piss off our group who is definitely the biggest spenders in thailand, i have no hesitation to move my Asia stay base to other cities like KL,where lots of cheap flights to all over asia. I don't stay long in stay base anyways, just for relaxing and planning for next Asia little trip.

Thais always pass laws on their whim not through reasoning, and without knowing how to enforce it, or without knowing how many negative effects they will get. This is typical Thailand. Do not ask Thais to reason with you, you will be disappointed. I have lots of experiences in field with thais.

Even the immigration itself do not know how to count days. I have a German friend and he has a little lady friend works at the airport immigration counter. She said there is no such thing as automatic computer system. She said they were briefed by thier superior about all the new changes, but they have no tool of counting days nor were told to enforce the law. She said they only were told one time to look for suspicious person and look at his entry records. Some use the markers to show its new stamps but most of them still do not use, because there is no point to use the markers since no tool of counting days. Thats all was briefed by thier superintendent about this new rules.

So basically according to my German friend's little immigration girlfriend, there won't be any serious enforcement in the BKK airport because simply there is no tool to implement it, unless you look like total scummy and filthy,, then they may check your stamps. I will be around in Asia till Jan or Feb then off to Brasil for next 6 months, if my German friend's little immigration girl have something new to say about the system before then, I will report it here.

Get a tourist visa and don't worry about it. Truth is, I don't think anybody knows for sure how the counting is being done, least of all Thai immigrations.

First of all to get tourist visa every time to enter Thailand is too ridiculous and not plausible for my group of tourists who come and go too often and too short that we don't even know how often, don't even mention how to count the days ourselves. Very funny, I check my passport, some exit stamps are on totally different pages to entry stamps, i cannot even match them, good job done.

In my group of tourists we will not go through the trouble to get a visa for a few days stay, if the law is strictly enforced, very bad for Thailand, we this group of money splashing tourist will be forever lost.

I hear what you are saying in general and I don't disagree with the points you make, but why is any of this a worry if your groups only stay in Thailand for a few days at a time?

It doesn't matter if you have a 60 day tourist visa or a 30 day entry permit at border. They all count the same according to official policy towards the 90 day limit in 6 months. But of course, enforcing it is a totally different matter entirely.

It doesn't matter if you have a 60 day tourist visa or a 30 day entry permit at border. They all count the same according to official policy towards the 90 day limit in 6 months. But of course, enforcing it is a totally different matter entirely.

Wrong. (well as far as my understanding goes anyway).

I thought the 90 days was 90 out of 180 while on a 30 day entry permit. I thought when coming in on any other sort of visa (tourist included) the days weren't counted towards the 90.

But I guess as mentioned already, no one really knows...

I think the highlighter pen method may be immigration counting per entry as an allocation of 30 days entry regardless of if you really stay for 30 days. 3 marks respective of 3 entries means 30+30+30 = 90 days and you are not welcomed to come into Thailand for the next 90 days?

I wonder what will immigration say about this? I think the time sheet method is the fairest in adherence to the new ruling.

I think the highlighter pen method may be immigration counting per entry as an allocation of 30 days entry regardless of if you really stay for 30 days. 3 marks respective of 3 entries means 30+30+30 = 90 days and you are not welcomed to come into Thailand for the next 90 days?

I wonder what will immigration say about this? I think the time sheet method is the fairest in adherence to the new ruling.

ok, what about myself...

both myself and partner from ireland entered thailand through the airport when we arrived.

we signed everything etc, and went through. 29 days later we went to cambodia border.

3 weeks ago, we went again, and got the number (1) in green felt pen wrote in our passports.

now, our visa run is due again, and were going sunday ( cant go during the week cos of work )

so, i assume they will write (2) in the passports...

then, when we go again in a month's time, they will write (3) and we will return to minburi...

then, we have 30 days to leave???

or is it 30 days from the day they write number (2) in our passports??

also, what happens if i loose my passport in the mean time?

i know i contact my embassy, and get a replacement one...

but how can immigration track the lenght of time i have been in the country???

from what ive read, IF i lost my passport, they cant really do anything??

now, im NOT TELLING ANYONE TO GO AND LOOSE THEIR PASSPORTS, IM MEARLY ASKING A QUESTION!!!

WHAT IF???

Your name and passport/country/DOB are very likely to be on Thai computer. Do you really think they can not match up a replacement passport to the same person? You are not going to obtain a replacement passport without a Thai police report, and making a false police report would not be a good idea.

So how does a 30 day visa runner go about this in the future?

My first entry after Oct 1st was about Oct 28th. So that basically gives me to the end of Janruary to figure it out, but obviously things could change so its wiser to do it faster.

Can I fly to KL or somewhere to get a 90 day visa? This 90 day visa does not count towards the 90 days in 180 allowed in Thailand? ###### this system is so messed up.

now, our visa run is due again, and were going sunday ( cant go during the week cos of work )

Since you are working in Thailand you should be able to get a work permit and non-B visa, and then perhaps even an extension of stay based on your work permit.

---------------

Maestro

Here is the reply from the Thail Consulate in HK that is interpreting the 90day in 6 month rule.

The new policiy is used for tourists to stay not exceeding 90 days

within 6 month period. Either the tourists use their free access visa or tourist visa, they are all counted together. For example, you entered the kingdom by the free accees visa for your first trip and you stayed 30 days. Then, you applied for a tourist visa(60 days) at a consulate and stayed

for the whole period(60 days). You will be rejected to enter the

kingdom for your next trip as your quota has been used up.

Not saying this is the end all be all, but this is the interpretation by the HK Thai Consulate.

Here is the reply from the Thail Consulate in HK that is interpreting the 90day in 6 month rule.

The new policiy is used for tourists to stay not exceeding 90 days

within 6 month period. Either the tourists use their free access visa or tourist visa, they are all counted together. For example, you entered the kingdom by the free accees visa for your first trip and you stayed 30 days. Then, you applied for a tourist visa(60 days) at a consulate and stayed

for the whole period(60 days). You will be rejected to enter the

kingdom for your next trip as your quota has been used up.

Not saying this is the end all be all, but this is the interpretation by the HK Thai Consulate.

omg if this is true, this really sucks to the core. in that case we might as well just visa run and ignore the tourist visa fees.

The new policiy is used for tourists to stay not exceeding 90 days within 6 month period.

Either the tourists use their free access visa {aka VOA} or tourist visa, they are all counted together.

:o:D does the MFA know that Hong Kong thinks this? :D:D

Edited by sriracha john

now, im NOT TELLING ANYONE TO GO AND LOOSE THEIR PASSPORTS, IM MEARLY ASKING A QUESTION!!!

WHAT IF???

Mike, this isn't directed at you but at those who are thinking of 'losing' a passport'.

If you 'lose' a passport in Thailand you'd have to obviously obtain a new one. When you get a new passport you then have to go to Suan Phlu (along with a police report which is easy enough to obtain) where immigration will then transfer info from your old passport.

From the bio info in your new pp they will retreive your TM card info. From this they will find your port of entry, type of visa or entry stamp, date of entry etc. You will be given a dated stamp according when you present immigration with your new passport. i.e. you entered Thailand on Nov 1st. You go to immigration on the Nov 15th with sob story. They should then give you a stamp that allows you to stay until Nov.29th.

If you lose two passports in Thailand either genuinely or 'accidentally on purpose' then expect to get pulled into the immigration office everytime you enter or leave Thailand. Your name will be in the immigrations computers.

I lost a pp in the early 90's. Never a problem. I thought I'd lost another pp around 1999/2000 and obtained a new one. That is when I started having problems entering and leaving Thailand. I kept getting taken into the office for questioning. On two occasions I almost missed flights because of it.

The pp that I thought I'd lost turned up in a deep inside pocket of an overcoat that I wore when arriving from Japan.

I took the 'newly found but reported lost' pp to immigration to clear my name from the immigration computers. It took 2-3 months and quite a few visits to Suan Phlu before they actually erased my name off their list.

Passports should not be treated like candy that you can buy at anytime. They are a valuable and important document. Without one, you're nobody. They're highly sort after by trafficers and other criminals hence why you can only lose one pp in Thailand without receiving any problems at immigration points.

If you lose a pp outside of Thailand, well, that a different story.

WHAT IF???

Mike, this isn't directed at you but at those who are thinking of 'losing' a passport'.

If you 'lose' a passport in Thailand you'd have to obviously obtain a new one. When you get a new passport you then have to go to Suan Phlu (along with a police report which is easy enough to obtain) where immigration will then transfer info from your old passport.

From the bio info in your new pp they will retreive your TM card info. From this they will find your port of entry, type of visa or entry stamp, date of entry etc. You will be given a dated stamp according when you present immigration with your new passport. i.e. you entered Thailand on Nov 1st. You go to immigration on the Nov 15th with sob story. They should then give you a stamp that allows you to stay until Nov.29th.

If you lose two passports in Thailand either genuinely or 'accidentally on purpose' then expect to get pulled into the immigration office everytime you enter or leave Thailand. Your name will be in the immigrations computers.

I lost a pp in the early 90's. Never a problem. I thought I'd lost another pp around 1999/2000 and obtained a new one. That is when I started having problems entering and leaving Thailand. I kept getting taken into the office for questioning. On two occasions I almost missed flights because of it.

The pp that I thought I'd lost turned up in a deep inside pocket of an overcoat that I wore when arriving from Japan.

I took the 'newly found but reported lost' pp to immigration to clear my name from the immigration computers. It took 2-3 months and quite a few visits to Suan Phlu before they actually erased my name off their list.

Passports should not be treated like candy that you can buy at anytime. They are a valuable and important document. Without one, you're nobody. They're highly sort after by trafficers and other criminals hence why you can only lose one pp in Thailand without receiving any problems at immigration points.

If you lose a pp outside of Thailand, well, that a different story.

couldnt agree more with you, and im very aware of the value of my passport. only reason i asked was for curiosity, and not for any other reason.

also, i wasnt aware of the full info etc on it all.

thanks for responding :o

Since you are working in Thailand you should be able to get a work permit and non-B visa, and then perhaps even an extension of stay based on your work permit.

---------------

Maestro

yes, and just like so many other's i work for an agency that dont offer work permits...

i can do my non imm visa, i was only asking a question tis all.

where is the best place to go for the non imm?

nothing too far, and nothing too cheap really...

singapore?

?

also, can you get one in india? because i might be there over christmas.

You are not married to a Thai and don't have a work permit so my guess is you will not find a non immigrant visa anywhere close.

now im really lost.

can we actually get a non imm o being single?

I earn money offshore (not much but enough)

I dont have a relationship with a thai lady

I am single and no children

I dont hold a job nor a WP.

what can i do to get a non-o?

with my budget of livlihood, getting a tourist visa for 3 months and den doing the 3 visa runs @ borders, and leaving thailand to get another 3months tourist visa (not even proven might work, just speculation) is really not my choice.

i think you got that wrong.

im not after a non imm o.

i will get my non imm B.

yeah, your right, i do have to go somewhere a bit further i think.

even tho my agency dont offer my work permit, i still heard people get them in singapore...

but then again, the agency wants me to go to perth in oz....

ANOTHER &lt;deleted&gt; EXPENSE!!

yes, and just like so many other's i work for an agency that dont offer work permits...

Well that does not exactly qualify you for any non immigrant B visa either.

//If your friends get a non immigrant B visa from Singapore it must be for some other reason.//