Inquiry about overstaying 30 day permit by 1 day (and visa-run near Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai)

Hello forumers, a question on 30 day tourist visa overstay and potential visa-run: I arrived Thailand on April 3, and originally booked an outbound ticket for May 3, making the common mistake of counting 30 day period from next day rather than day of arrival onwards. I found out upon entry that I actually have until May 2, not May 3. It is too late to change the non-refundable ticket, so hence the inquiry:

1) What is the potential penalty (if any) if I overstay by 1 day? I am ok with a 500 baht fine, but would not like to be denied re-entry. I understand that the new, tougher visa overstay laws are deal more with overstays for more than 90 days, but wanted to make sure. Has anyone here overstayed recently by 1-5 days?

2) If I make a visa-run, what is the most common route for those based in Chiang Mai (I am in Chiang Mai)? Can I cross the border to Myanmar and back in the same day by going up to the Golden Triangle? Would appreciated if anyone based near Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai can share their experiences.

FYI - I will be flying out of the international airport in Bangkok.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Edited by pinecrest515

Let me ensure I understand your questions. You arrived in Thailand April 5 and are leaving Thailand by air on May 3. You want to choose between two courses of action:

• Overstay by one day
  • Make a border run from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to get another visa exempt before your return to Bangkok

I would personally risk the one day overstay if you will already be in Bangkok May 2. The risk of arrest before going to the airport is virtually nil, and the fine for the one day overstay will be waived.

If you want to do a border run, Chiang Khong is usually recommended. You can travel there from either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. You need to get a Laos visa on arrival, and should have US dollars to pay for this (else it costs extra). You cannot do a border hop to Myanmar for a visa exempt entry.

If you want to do a border run, Chiang Khong is usually recommended. You can travel there from either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai. You need to get a Laos visa on arrival, and should have US dollars to pay for this (else it costs extra).

Although that has changed recently , they now give change back if you pay 1500 Baht .

A few weeks ago , I paid 1500 Baht for a Laos visa and they gave me 200 odd Baht back

Good news, if you leave from an airport , they allow a one day fine free overstay

Thanks everyone for the answers! A follow up question: Will they STAMP on my passport an overstay of 1 day at the airport? I am not too concerned about the fine, but don't want to have a record of over-staying by one day. Any possibility of complications with re-entry in the future? Thanks!

Personally, if you have no history in Thailand I would do a border run and work something in -- rather than overstay.... The overstay stamp is easily recognized and although it has no implications right now, no one can foresee the future.

Good news, if you leave from an airport , they allow a one day fine free overstay

Thanks everyone for the answers! A follow up question: Will they STAMP on my passport an overstay of 1 day at the airport? I am not too concerned about the fine, but don't want to have a record of over-staying by one day. Any possibility of complications with re-entry in the future? Thanks!

Yes you will get an overstay stamp

No it will not lead to future 'complications'

The fine will only be waived if the overstay amounts to less than 24 hours.

The only problem you could have with an overstay,even a minor one of a day or two is what happened to a friend of mine years ago.He already had a lot of Thai visas in his passport and went for another visa to a neighboring country,and they refused asking how can we give a visa when you don't respect Thai law by overstaying.Thais are big on respect.Although it might have been just a pretext for sth they would have refused anyway.

I did the same mistake, 2,5 years ago. I went to the immigration, and paid 1900 baht to get 7 additional days (just needed 1) I believe you can do the same thing now, but it gives 30 days instead of 7.

Only one 30 day extension can be obtained per 'visa exempt' or tourist visa entry.

If more time is required all that can be given is 7 days (1900 Bht) during which the country must be left.