Calling U.S. Social Security? Know Your Consular Code!

Read the material starting at page 18 and at page 93:

https://www.cms.gov/medicare/eligibility-and-enrollment/medicaremangcareeligenrol/downloads/finalmaenrollmentanddisenrollmentguidanceupdateforcy2011.pdf

Note that even if you do permanently live in your MA plan's service area, you will nonetheless be involuntarily disenrolled if you are temporarily out of that area for more than six months.

I know about the penalty and want to avoid it.

I have MA now which satisfies the Part D requirement.

I am trying to find out the best way to cancel MA and make sure it is recorded that I am a non resident and not required to have it.

I can't imagine I can show up a few years later and say I just moved back and want to sign up without penalty.

Edited by BKKSnowBird

You're not required to have MA, or indeed to have any Medicare coverage. Except that if you're living in the States you'll be subject to the Obamacare penalty if you don't at least have Part A coverage.

As to proof of overseas residence, your passport provides a pretty good record of where you've been and when. Make a copy from time to time in case the original is lost or stolen. If you're eligible, you might want to get something like a Thai driver's license, since it's easier to deal with than a passport copy, and Americans always seem to like driver's licenses for ID. Best to hold onto leases, utility bills and such too.

I know about the penalty and want to avoid it.

I have MA now which satisfies the Part D requirement.

I am trying to find out the best way to cancel MA and make sure it is recorded that I am a non resident and not required to have it.

I can't imagine I can show up a few years later and say I just moved back and want to sign up without penalty.

Why don't you call Medicare and ask them. I understand that their line open is 24 hours/day.

1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)

I have but got a vague answer. I like the suggestion someone said about writing internation ops with the hopes of getting a response in writing. You can't rely on what they tell you on these 800 numbers.

Its always nice to hear it from someone who has done it but it seems most retire to Thailand before retirement age and get their benefits when they become appropriate age. I may also start a thread after doing some more research.

Edited by BKKSnowBird

I have but got a vague answer. I like the suggestion someone said about writing internation ops with the hopes of getting a response in writing. You can't rely on what they tell you on these 800 numbers.

Its always nice to hear it from someone who has done it but it seems most retire to Thailand before retirement age and get their benefits when they become appropriate age. I may also start a thread after doing some more research.

You could call them again and ask for a reference to an online document that covers the situation. You might have to bump up the hierarchy to get someone who knows, but someone there definitely does know.

Well, when I had my problems with the Consular Code lady, she wasn't about to bump me up any hierarchy. I had to talk to her and that was it.

If you've got a rare somewhat complicated question like BKK's, it really is a waste of time to deal with a call center. Just write them.

• 3 months later...

If you have a pending claim, I suppose you'll have a claim number. I had a pending application not a claim, so I called the number for non-claim inquiries. Answered by a live person on the second ring, unlike the main number where you listen to an interminable recording, then get put in a half-hour queue.before you can speak to anyone (who will then do her best to find a reason to tell you she can't help you).

Now 3 months down the road I just called the non-claim number 410-965-2356, after several rings got an automated female voice responder citing all the options (what your last 2 digits etc.) but finally for the non-claim calls it asked to leave your call back number and someone will get back to you in 1 to 2 business days thereoff. I called past midnight bkk time so maybe the live person is out to lunch (I don't know where 410 area code is in the states?)

Many people working in the Social Security offices in the U.S. are quite frankly a- -holes.

There is no Social Security service from The U.S. embassy here in Thailand, they will simply tell you to contact the Social Security office in Manila.

The nearest place that can give you any reliable service is In Manila at the U.S. embassy there.

Just another example of the decline of the U.S/ government as it creaks to an end in a morass of incompetence, stupidity, and uselessness.

If you have a pending claim, I suppose you'll have a claim number. I had a pending application not a claim, so I called the number for non-claim inquiries. Answered by a live person on the second ring, unlike the main number where you listen to an interminable recording, then get put in a half-hour queue.before you can speak to anyone (who will then do her best to find a reason to tell you she can't help you).

Now 3 months down the road I just called the non-claim number 410-965-2356, after several rings got an automated female voice responder citing all the options (what your last 2 digits etc.) but finally for the non-claim calls it asked to leave your call back number and someone will get back to you in 1 to 2 business days thereoff. I called past midnight bkk time so maybe the live person is out to lunch (I don't know where 410 area code is in the states?)

I called their 1-800 number about a week ago just to see how hard or easy it was to get a human being and to ask a couple of questions. Upon answering and getting a few steps into the automated process it said my wait time would be 55 minutes....I could hold for a rep or get a call back in approx 55 minutes. I left my number for a call back and almost to the minute I got a call back in 55 minutes.

Went through my series of questions one of which, I live in Thailand now can I apply online or must I apply through Manila? The rep answered either way.

I asked the rep what if when applying online and you guys ask for some followup docs, must I mail it Baltimore/address on the document request or could I mail it to Manila? Once again the answer was either. The rep said many times when people apply online and are asked for followup docs they instead just take/mail the docs to their local social security office. I guess the local office can just pull up the person's record, see the specific of what the docs was requested, and handle it from there....or maybe they just put it in intra-agency mail.

Yea, my one call to the big social security number in the sky worked out well. I may try calling Manila over the next week or so and see how that works out.

I said the heck with it, I just called the Manila Social Security Office. Talked to a nice lady within a minutes of making the call....asked a couple of questions about Medicare and Social Security.

Your results may vary.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2016 at 7:01 PM, CaptHaddock said:

Yes. 100% sure of it. You have to be resident in the US to be eligible for MA or any of the other parts of Medicare, except for A and B. If you have obtained or continued your MA policy while not resident in the US and make a claim the insurer could certainly refuse to pay a claim. Practically speaking, would they find out? I don't know, but it makes no sense to buy insurance that may not pay off when you need it.

If you were to return to live in the US you would have 60 days to buy a new MA policy. Your pre-existing conditions could not be excluded nor would you pay any penalty. This means that if you were ill you could return to the US, buy the MA policy immediately, and use it to pay for treatment for your illness.

So, paying while you are not eligible makes no senses.

Since regulations are not static I'd advise keeping up to date.