Thai Police Arrest More than 20,000 Suspected Criminals in One Week

webfact

Thai Police Arrest More than 20,000 Suspected Criminals in One Week

BANGKOK – Thailand’s Deputy National Police Chief Winai Thongsong told reporters yesterday that Police have arrested 20,172 suspects wanted under 42,915 arrest warrants nationwide in one week from April 1 to 7th, in a drive to curb crime over the Songkran Festival this week.

Deputy Chief Winai Thongsong told the Bangkok Post those apprehended were wanted mainly for theft, embezzlement, fraud, drug offences or assault.

The largest number of the warrants, 13,484, were issued in Bangkok, followed by 11,899 arrest warrants issued by courts in other Central Plain provinces.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-police-arrest-more-than-20000-suspected-criminals-in-one-week.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-04-12

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Police arrests of suspects in crimes against people and property will help prevent these people doing it again during the Songkran Festival..."

Thank God, now we can have a safe Songkran. Release them starting with the 18th. Thanks.

If they managed to arrest 20,000 in one week, I wonder how many they can arrest in one month or one year?

maybe after few months like that, Thailand will be all cleaned out of criminals...... just come to show

what the police can do if they put tier minds to it, assuming it's all true of course.....

Was this a similar dragnet operation like the one up north during the old regime years ago? I wonder how many were just 'in the way' criminals?

Bit different than as suspects were just shot dead. Amazing how much more violent the criminals were during that time!

Why hadn't they been arrested before?

Mass arests bring to mind countries like Egypt and N. Korea......

I dont think this was some kind of mass arrest......... This number is nationwide. It would be relatively easy to arrest this amount of people within one week if each province only captured a couple of people every day. This idiot who addressed the news is trying to glamorize a national figure to the people in hopes it makes them look good because most people will miss the Nationwide part. This article is complete B.S.

As ChrisY1 said ; "20,000 arrests I personally don't believe this". Jing Joe says Me too.

As outlaw11wa said; "arrest 20,000 in one week? So where did they put them all? Is there that much available detention space"

As Hedgehog said; "All were given bail.To appear in court on the 18th. as they expressed a wish to spend Songkran with their families".

As Admin proclaimed in the article; "in a drive to curb crime over the Songkran Festival this week."

As Cumgranosalum said; "Why hadn't they been arrested before?" Yup, why suddenly, pointlessly, a lot of work, when dozens by dozens previously be better?

as Uthaithanirules said; "20,000 x 500 baht =" If 500 was a guess (didnt see it mentioned) how many crims would be put out of "business" during Songkran from such a paltry fine.

As IKV quoted someone; "will help prevent these people doing it again during the Songkran Festival"

but Thesetat probably summed it up best; " --This article is complete B.S."

Something doesn't add up folks.

Edited by Jing Joe