Afghanistan: Former Taliban fighters flee ISIS brutality

webfact

Afghanistan: Former Taliban fighters flee ISIS brutality
By Nick Paton Walsh, CNN

Jalalabad, Afghanistan (CNN)It might just be a crackle and a hiss but to many in eastern Afghanistan, it's a sign that ISIS is back.

ISIS FM was for months how the militants reached out to local Afghans. But then the United States bombed it, as part of a broader campaign to dismantle ISIS, and the radio broadcast went silent.

Yet in the past week, according to several locals, the signal has, occasionally, returned. "It was there three days ago, and it's gone again," one man tells CNN.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/12/middleeast/isis-taliban-afghanistan-defectors/index.html?eref=rss_asia

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-04-12

I am certainly in no way an ISIS fan but these Taliban deserve anything and everything ISIS dishes out. The Taliban think shooting a woman in the back of the head with an AK47 in a public football stadium is perfectly normal, or barging in on a wedding ceremony, killing the groom and raping the bride while stealing all the wedding guests' money and jewelry. There are many more examples of their barbarous deeds but I'll just mention these two. I hope ISIS kills ever last one of them.

Afghanistan is a conglomeration of ethnicities of which the Taliban is one. Despite the grotesque atrocities they committed under the reign of Mohammad Omar before the NATO led invasion, they are a domestic political entity. The only way to deal with them is to recognise this fact.

ISIS is a foreign import to Afghanistan. It is based in the Sunni sect. The Taliban is Sunni. The majority of Pakistan muslims are Sunni. ISIS defeats in Syria and Iraq have been pushing them more and more into Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I would think that it would be easier to come to a political agreement with the Taliban, which has some political structure and vested interest in domestic politics rather than ISIS which is a regional political opportunistic entity at the moment. In any case, the above posters preference for ISIS to engage the Taliban is pretty much advocating genocide or ethnic cleansing. Since I have some projects in Afghanistan and travel there regularly, I do hope that nobody takes that comment seriously.

Sometimes when I read about things in that region, I get confused if I'm living in a dream that dates back a couple of millenium. Some of these people seem like they took lessons from Atilla the Hun.

I never thought I'd read a headline where the Taliban is afraid of ISIS.

Afghanistan is a conglomeration of ethnicities of which the Taliban is one. Despite the grotesque atrocities they committed under the reign of Mohammad Omar before the NATO led invasion, they are a domestic political entity. The only way to deal with them is to recognise this fact.

ISIS is a foreign import to Afghanistan. It is based in the Sunni sect. The Taliban is Sunni. The majority of Pakistan muslims are Sunni. ISIS defeats in Syria and Iraq have been pushing them more and more into Afghanistan and Pakistan.

I would think that it would be easier to come to a political agreement with the Taliban, which has some political structure and vested interest in domestic politics rather than ISIS which is a regional political opportunistic entity at the moment. In any case, the above posters preference for ISIS to engage the Taliban is pretty much advocating genocide or ethnic cleansing. Since I have some projects in Afghanistan and travel there regularly, I do hope that nobody takes that comment seriously.

I'm in no way advocating genocide or ethnic cleansing as the Taliban are not ethnic to Afghanistan. The majority of Afghans are lovely people and I have many friends there. The Taliban are an import from Pakistan. They are not Afghans. I would like to see every last sorry one of them dead.

I'm in no way advocating genocide or ethnic cleansing as the Taliban are not ethnic to Afghanistan. The majority of Afghans are lovely people and I have many friends there. The Taliban are an import from Pakistan. They are not Afghans. I would like to see every last sorry one of them dead.

If you have some connection with Afghanistan then you know that there is no Afghan ethnicity. It is a multi-ethnic country and the Taliban are from the Pashtu, which is the largest ethnicity with over 40%of the population. Many of the Taliban fighters post ISAF engagement are young villagers who are fighting for a wage or compensation based on injuries inflicted. Saying that you want to wipe out the Taliban is saying that you want to 'cleanse' Afghanistan of the Pashtu.

I think some political settlement is a better solution. They did it in Norther Ireland. They can do it in Afghanistan.

If you have some connection with Afghanistan then you know that there is no Afghan ethnicity. It is a multi-ethnic country and the Taliban are from the Pashtu, which is the largest ethnicity with over 40%of the population. Many of the Taliban fighters post ISAF engagement are young villagers who are fighting for a wage or compensation based on injuries inflicted. Saying that you want to wipe out the Taliban is saying that you want to 'cleanse' Afghanistan of the Pashtu.

I think some political settlement is a better solution. They did it in Norther Ireland. They can do it in Afghanistan.

I do have a connection with Afghanistan. We will agree to disagree.