Fate of Phuket mural to be decided April 22

snoop1130

Fate of Phuket mural to be decided April 22
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-06360100-1460459729_thumb.
The controversial mural on the side of the old Standard Chartered Bank Building on the corner of Phang Nga and Phuket roads. Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: -- The future of a mural painted on a building wall in Phuket Town over the weekend by a Bangkok-based artist, bringing mixed reactions from a number of local residents, has yet to be decided after being discussed at a meeting held by Phuket City Mayor this morning (Apr 12).

The painting, on a side wall of the old Standard Chartered Bank Building on the corner of Phang Nga and Phuket roads, and done by Pattcharapon ‘Alex Face’ Tangreun, was completed on Saturday (Apr 9), and following its completion, local residents took to social media to either severely criticise or praise the design.

Following posts about the painting going viral, Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana held a meeting this morning as a number of local residents said that it should be removed immediately.

Speaking at the meeting today, Mayor Somjai said the building where the mural has appeared is currently in the process of being renovated and that renovations will be complete in June.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fate-of-phuket-mural-to-be-decided-april-22-57002.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-12

Phuket City Mayor resigns over mural fiasco
Darawan Naknakhon

post-249866-0-06610300-1460466775_thumb.
Phuket City Deputy Mayor Dr Kosol Tang-utai (centre). Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: -- The Deputy Mayor of Phuket City Municipality handed in his resignation today (Apr 11) following the fiasco surrounding a mural painted on the old Standard Chartered Bank building in Phuket Town.

The mural, done by Pattcharapon ‘Alex Face’ Tangreun, was completed on Saturday (Apr 9), and following its completion, local residents took to social media to either severely criticise or praise the design.

Following posts about the painting going viral, Phuket City Mayor Somjai Suwansupana held a meeting this morning as a number of local residents demanded its immediate removal.

Speaking about his resignation, Phuket City Deputy Mayor Dr Kosol Tang-utai said, “I apologise for any miscommunication there has been between the artist and myself.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-city-mayor-resigns-over-mural-fiasco-57006.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-04-12

Is there something controversial about the image? I mean other than it isn't to everybody's taste. It just looks like an illustration for a kids book or something. Hardly an image that could knock a mayor out of office. There has got to be more to this story. The world is full of art that people dislike but life goes on.

Is there something controversial about the image? I mean other than it isn't to everybody's taste. It just looks like an illustration for a kids book or something. Hardly an image that could knock a mayor out of office. There has got to be more to this story. The world is full of art that people dislike but life goes on.

i agree. it's not great art by any means, but i don't find it hideous or offensive.

You think he fell on his own sword?

He was pushed....

Quite likely. While the mural is stupid looking it's hard to really call it a 'fiasco'. However, it could be there is a yet-to be-uncovered fiasco. As in how much Khun Alex Face may have been paid to create this idiotic thing. And....what sort of 'commissions' were involved.

Edited by Hayduke

Pretty sure the artist did the same on the side of the B-Lay Tong on the beach road in Patong. The thing there is you don't really see it as it's on the side of the building facing Kalim.

It's interesting, stylewise not my cup of tea, but that's what art is all about.

I initially thought of the kids book 'Where the Wild Things Are' when I saw the pictures. Murals appeal to some but not all. Don't see how this is a fiasco let alone something to resign over. Was the mural painted for the agreed upon amount? Was it done on time? Was the location different than where it was supposed to be? The answers to those could be a fiasco.

Respect is due to Dr Kosol Tang-utai who not only acknowledges a "mistake" but apologises and resigns his position.

A very good example that others may care to note and follow.

How about, he was fed up with this idiocy, gave the town his middle finger and said cya?

The town has bigger problems and a bunch of cranky old meddlers couldn't appreciate the artwork. I am not much into art, but the work was fine. It is interesting. Certainly better than a beer advert or skin whitening advert.

I too thought it was inspired by 'Where the Wild Things Are'.

Edited by geriatrickid

Seems to me it is between the building owner and the painter. Why is the mayor or city involved it the thing to begin with? It is certainly not offensive, nor much in the way of art in my opinion, but then what do I know.