English woman among injured as tuk-tuk and big bike collide in Central Bangkok

webfact

English woman among injured as tuk-tuk and big bike collide in Central Bangkok

bb.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Four tourists in a tuk-tuk were left sprawled over the road in a late night collision with a big bike on Tuesday.

The accident happened as the tuk-tuk was taking four passengers from the airport link at Rachathewi to Sathorn via the Chalerm Pao intersection, Thairath reports.

Driver Sommai Saenkhot, 47, said he was turning into Henri Dunant road when he was rear ended by a motorcycle. The impact spread his four passengers over the tarmac and left the bike rider with grievous injuries.

All four and the bike rider were rushed to hospitals.

Police at the scene found a Kawasaki Z250 with its front smashed in and a tuk-tuk with damage to its rear tyre. An English woman identified only as Tomesa (sic) was among the four injured tourists that also included an Indian male aged about 40-50 and a Thai man called Pasakorn Paokaew, 27.

Sakda Wiangnon, 31, the bike rider sustained serious injuries and was unconscious with a smashed wrist.

Police have breathalysed the tuk-tuk driver and are collecting statements from witnesses and studying CCTV as they proceed with the case.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-04-13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wishing one and all a speedy recovery.

Before the bashing begins...

So are you implying any criticism of the one at fault here, be it the bike rider or tuk tuk driver, is bashing?

Tell me, what positives can be said of a rider who rear ends a tuk tuk?

Unless of course the tuk tuk driver was at fault in which case what positives can be said of him?

A 250cc is a big bike? blink.png Come on. cheesy.gif

It might be relatively powerful than some bikes but big it is not, a learner is permitted a 250cc in some of the more nanny state countries.

Now if we discuss riding beyond ability, a 50cc bike is too powerful for many on the road.

Hope the injured recover soon.

Big Bike?

Went into the side of a tuk-tuk once with 4 Aussie lads in it.

Those things can turn on a dime. Which is exactly what he did from the inside lane, to u-turn around, of course without looking to see if anything was coming in the outside lane first.

No major injuries, big shot of adrenaline, checking out both vehicles with the driver and nattering away in Thai, broken indicator, sore ankle, gave it a mai pen rai and headed on. the 4 Aussies were still silently gaping at it all.

A speedy recovery to all, when you see a tuk-tuk ahead, always remember that he can spin around like a ballerina.

So are you implying any criticism of the one at fault here, be it the bike rider or tuk tuk driver, is bashing?

Unless of course the tuk tuk driver was at fault in which case what positives can be said of him?

I wasn't there, and the OP didn't provide enough detail regarding who was at fault. In the absence of such information, most criticism of either driver, the Thai police, general motorcycle skills, road conditions at that location, Thailand (or Thais) in general, or the tourists who rode in a tuk-tuk would be sheer speculation.

That's what I refer to as "bashing". I'm forecasting 100 posts before this one loses steam. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by impulse

You can trust Bluespunk's word,thumbsup.gif as a professional of negative comments he knows what he is talking abouttongue.png

You can trust Bluespunk's word,thumbsup.gif as a professional of negative comments he knows what he is talking abouttongue.png

he's actually one of the best posters on here and spot on again

he's actually one of the best posters on here and spot on again

+1

Big bike ran into back of Tuk Tuk so police breathalise the driver, but apparently not the big bike rifer.

They have to check to see if he's rich or connected before they can do that. Don't you know the laws here?

I couldn't help but notice that no-one declined to be breathalysed. I'm still puzzled as to what the law is here.

Unless there are two laws, one for the rich......

Legal liability can't be determined until all witness statements, skid marks, road gouges, accident scene measurements, road surface, crush measurements, rule out vehicle product defects, and injuries are examined and analyzed by a competent accident reconstruction engineer/expert. Police reports are examined, but not the final determination. Legal liability is determined by the Insurance representatives and rarely by a court.

Whilst I don't always agree with your point of view, I can at least usually understand it. However in this case I don't.

You are implying, and quite rightly so, that we don't know who was actually to blame here. So any criticism of either party in this case could rightly be construed as 'bashing'. Also whilst criticism would be fair enough in the case of actually knowing who was at fault, it's the case that a large number of comments will go beyond simple criticism of one persons actions, but include sweeping generalisations referring to 'all tuk tuk' drivers or 'all motorcyclists'. Such comments can certainly be described as bashing. I'm sure you've been around on this forum long enough to realise that.....

Found this on the web.

Registration plates match on Thairath Article.

Thai rescue workers carry an injured passenger next to a Tuk Tuk, three-wheeler auto rickshaw, wreck at a busy junction of a main street in central Bangkok, Thailand, early 13 April 2016

http://www.epa.eu/disasters-photos/transport-accident-photos/increasing-road-accidents-during-songkran-festival-in-thailand-photos-52698842

post-221427-14605416681806_thumb.jpg

Big bike ran into back of Tuk Tuk so police breathalise the driver, but apparently not the big bike rifer.

Pretty difficult to breathalyse an unconscious person.

true but can take blood

Yeah, but they are not going to do that. they will wait to the driver of the bike wake up. then they will ask very nice for permission.

so it will be at least one week before test taken....

Sounds familiar? a Benz driver last month? driving too fast rear ending someone..... stupid people....

Something tells me this guy have some high connections, if not he had already been tested and arrested....

wai2.gif

It is blatantly obvious that the Tuk Tuk driver reversed at high speed into the bike rider. he stood little chance of avoiding the collision whistling.gif

In the UK if you run into the back of someone it is always your fault unless you reverse into them

Also how heavy is a Tuk Tuk compared to that bike? Would the bike be able to overturn the Tuk Tuk at slow speed? I'm asking as I know nothing about weights of either vehicle

actually no... put the tube in his mouth and then elbow drop his belly button...

In Canada, police get a phone warrant from a judge and the hospitals have an official kit to take blood sample from the injured driver. This sample will be analyzed by the forensic laboratory.

The blood sample taken from the injured for emergency medical use is not accepted in court.

Amazing how many apologists find the truth and opinion to be negative things.

Sad as well.

Actually, just sad.

They have to check to see if he's rich or connected before they can do that. Don't you know the laws here?

I couldn't help but notice that no-one declined to be breathalysed. I'm still puzzled as to what the law is here.

Unless there are two laws, one for the rich......

The law used to be that declining the breath test was met with a 1000 baht fine, that changed a couple of years ago and now carries the same penalties as failing the breath test, maximum 20,000 baht fine and/ or 1 year in prison. That may be why their compliance with the test is mentioned, rather than the problems with application of the law.

First the facts. It is clear the bike was moving at a high rate of knots to sustain that much damage and tip over the TT.

Second, conjecture. Based on many years of observation (and personally being scared ...less on more than one TukTuk ride - how I hate them) I would bet a penny to a pound of something that the TT driver, being loaded with four passengers, took a wide sweep out to the left and then abruptly turned right directly in front of the motorcyclist.

Its what they do to get around the corners quickly using the centrifugal sling-shot effect that is enhanced by more passengers.

I hope all the passengers and the bikey are soon ok.

Yes, not too many facts, but those we have trend towards my opinion and this cannot be construed as Thai bashing as both the TT driver and the motorcyclist were Thai.

Of course (with the notable exceptions of my wife and one of my Thai daughters) all Thai's ARE crap drivers/riders - allegedly, except in the proven case of two of my Thai daughters who are crap drivers, but have the mitigation of being good riders.

Edited by MiKT