Topless Farang Fined 100 Baht in Chiang Mai

webfact

The Thai Bodybuilding organization mandates contestants walk onstage only in swimming trunks.

Guess there's a chance (like the bridge club patrons) that they'll be pounced upon for doing what has been allowed for years.

And as someone mentioned Muay Thai is way too provocative with all those exposed male nipples.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an ABSOLUTE laughing stock, seriously from the smug stupid face of the police officer, to the amount of the fine and the fine itself.

If they think this is a punishable offence, then they would have had a field day at what I saw in HH Market Village Shopping Mall a few weeks back. Two Russian guys strutting around the mall firstly with their heads shaved, so already off to a bad start with exposure of skin. Then they had no tops on, but to match they were wearing tight man short-shorts, not an image I want to keep in my head but I am not in charge of that I am afraid. They were pretty well built so I doubt many of the Thai officers would argue with them, still it was a scene alrite

Why didn't they just keep it personal?

"Sorry, sir, please put on your shirt" Two minutes and the matter is closed; everyone leaves as friends.

Instead, the Authorities have definitely lost face - to the World!

It has caused many people on this forum and elsewhere to damn Thailand (justified or not) and wasted our time needing to discuss it.

I usually support the police, but this is absurd. Thailand is so out of balance with the rest of the world. It's like they don't care anymore whether or not they can fit into international norms.

So why not go out and bust all the idiot drivers etc.

Bare chested guy has to be the lowest priority of all issues on the table.

Jeez.

Yep. Thailand has taken it's first baby steps into the realm of Political Correctness. Congratulations Thailand! News at 6!

No, this is more of shoving down an artificial culture down the throat of the peasants, you know, the one cooked up by the powers that be. The actual culture in use is a bastard of western consumerism and Asian kowtowing.

A bare-chested man at Songkran (for heavens sake), is NOT indecent and certainly not obscene. These terms are appropriate for rape, pimps, paedophiles "Flashers" and their like.

Yes, it is disrespectful I would argue, outside of Songkran.

WHO was offended, who was really affected? Come on Thailand - where is your spirit of goodwill?

They have clearly totally lost the plot!! what a complete farce.................... a lunatic in charge of the asylum!!!

This guy should forward this to the national press or reuters etc...............................what a laughing stock they have become.

A water festival and a guy with a water gun and normal shorts is arrested for not having a shirt???????

Clueless and deluded................................someone should advertise the vacancy,

Asian country in urgent need of a balanced and sensible leader and government.

All blame thailand about strange rule.. look back home like in the so called civilized western.

Usa many strange and wierd rules. Euroepan countires the same.

Solve that first your own country before you make any judgment about any other country you are speakong about.

Respect your own rule respect others their rules too.

Spoken like a good Thai. But in the so called civilized western (sic) we are allowed to criticize. It is how idiotic behavior is brought to the attention of others and dealt with so it doesn't happen again. How about admitting the episode made the police, the law and Thailand look like idiots. Of course, a Thai would never do that because nothing they do is wrong. Ever. About anything.

I didn't pay much attention to this bit of news when it was all over social media yesterday or the other outrage the Chinese tourist in a bikini. The last I heard about the Farang shirtless guy was the Police saying the photo is from last year or a previous year. It did not happen yesterday, nobody as fined 100 baht. It's a bit like the the Chinese tourist buffet in a Chiang Mai hotel turns out it wasn't in Chiang Mai but happened in Bangkok.

Was this photo taken before or after the fine was paid ?

If after and the offender allowed leave still ' topless ' the BIB are condoning the offence and the publicity seeker on the right should, at least, be reprimanded.

However he's likely to be rewarded by the PM for upholding traditional Thai values by dealing with serious a serious case.

Yeah he gets to keep the 100 bahts. This guy kind of reminds me of the movie Encino Man maybe he was the star. Wow just another quality tourist. Best Songkran I have ever been through half the music sites did not open this year close to KSK and at the Shell station. Another couple months and Songkran will be long forgotten but the drought will still be with us. Again the locals will carp at the government to do something. What a savior they will turn out to be no doubt in our time of dire need.

Well, if the police feel Jimmy's bare chest is obscene enough to warrant a fine, why have they 1) not covered him up to avoid offending onlookers and 2) allowed an "obscene" photo to be taken, published and distributed via the internet.

Shouldn't the RTP themselves now be charged with promoting obscenity and distribution of lewd material under the Computer Crimes Act.

The law should work both ways.

Nice try Sherlock it doesn't.

hahaha, stupid is stupid,, I thought it would have been a woman, but a guy !!! and he only has a small one, err, gun. lucky that there is no beaches in Chang Mai or the police would be there all day booking thousands of obscene males on the beach, if it's like they are here in Patong, plus a few obscene females too...

This must be a late April fools day joke !!!! yes, someone say 'yes'................

I just counted at least 50 young thai's (boys) and children with their shirts off....throwing water at cars in the neighborhood.

Should I call the cops?

Oh yes. They might even give you a commission on the Bt5,000 they make.

Archived