American Style Ribs? Where?

moonseeker

https://www.facebook.com/Livvbakerycafe/

Livv unlimited ribs Tuesday and Friday..

12718085_908906199255349_663959198248802

+1

The best Ribs I have had in Thailand but you need a car to get to, they are on Soi Kao Talo.

The ribs at Livv are good. However the best ribs in Thailand are at The Smokin Pug on Surawong Road in Bangkok, few meters walk from Le Meridien Hotel. As good as you will find anywhere in the world!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• An FYI to you home rib chefs, while most supermarkets in Pattaya and Bangkok normally sell pork ribs in thin strips, Thai style, I have found that if you ask one of the butchers, they can usually pull a whole, uncut rack out of the meat locker. I get mine at "Foodland" in Bangkok but a friend who I told about was able to get them at "Foodland" and "Big-C" in Pattaya.

We get them cut to order at MAKRO. One slab yields "Baby Back" and "St. Louis" and soft bones for soups.

post-131606-0-14511900-1460969586_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Update,

A close 2nd or maybe even to Richman Poorman for good ribs is Kit Seafood every Sat. and Sun. from 11-4 all you can eat for 399 baht.

It's at their new location on Thap Phraya in Jomtien, at the old Menuet bar location.

https://goo.gl/maps/UEzwTvP5PBq

It includes soup, tossed salad, pasta and of course the all you can eat tender ribs.

• 2 weeks later...

Another choice is Rock Kitchen on Soi Khopai.

I wouldn't call them American because I don't think they are smoked. But they hit all the high points otherwise, marinated, tender, not fall apart, good sauce - 250 b. Flavor is very good even without the smoke.

• 2 months later...

Just saw a new BBQ place being fitted out. Right next door to Steak and Co. on Soi Lenkee in South Pattaya, the paved(good pavement, not the pot holed one lined with brothels) Soi as you come across Soi Bouikow from 2nd Road. Steak and Co. has found a niche and it appears to be the same money investing in a BBQ place. This of course, if decent which it should be, could be a success. Lonestar never make its statement in the marketplace. Hopefully and for sure opening soon. Someone let us all know. O O And God Bless You. 

On 4/16/2016 at 6:06 PM, dddave said:

• An FYI to you home rib chefs, while most supermarkets in Pattaya and Bangkok normally sell pork ribs in thin strips, Thai style, I have found that if you ask one of the butchers, they can usually pull a whole, uncut rack out of the meat locker. I get mine at "Foodland" in Bangkok but a friend who I told about was able to get them at "Foodland" and "Big-C" in Pattaya.

Big C on Pattaya Klang ribs are  dry and a very tough chew. American style ribs are tender, the meat falls off the bone, you don't have to chew it off like a dog.

On 17.4.2016 at 0:37 AM, NanLaew said:

To be honest, I have been disappointed with my recent forays at Lone Star, say the past 2 months. I recall their fare being much better last year and that includes the ribs I had about 2 weeks ago.

So good to see that RMPM being highly recommended here as I already frequent them for their rather excellent SoS. I never thought to try their ribs as I am typically only a breakfast diner there.

I agree about lone star - I had been a regular there but I don't go anymore.

I stand by my original post about the best ribs in the Pattaya area is at Jomtien at Richman Poorman Guesthouse (Corner Beach Road Soi 9, Jomtien, Pattaya, Pattaya, CB, Thailand  +66 38 233 414)

every weekend after 12 noon.

Falling off the bone tender, juicy and very tasty.  Well worth the visit.

Today is Ed's birthday :-).

Edited by Roger Lee

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It's the weekend folks! RMPM rib time!!!

They are taking their time at the new BBQ place on Lengkee. Didn't it use to be Jockey's? I used to have regular brekky there until Retox killed it for them.

Yes, the former Jocky shophouse. And I've also noticed it appears to be a one man construction crew. I guess they aren't worried about the upcoming high season. 

16 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Yes, the former Jocky shophouse. And I've also noticed it appears to be a one man construction crew. I guess they aren't worried about the upcoming high season. 

High season? In Pattaya? haven't seen one of those since a couple of days before Christmas in 2007. Lasted until January 11th.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

High season? In Pattaya? haven't seen one of those since a couple of days before Christmas in 2007. Lasted until January 11th.

Just because people aren't in bars doesn't mean it's not a high season. The bars have ruined many a vacation so people just avoid them, going to malls and markets instead. Relationships are also build year round with ladies working in massage parlors who of course claim not to be here year round, just come to be with the guy doing Thai things like shopping and eating. The bar world is coming to a quick end. 

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Just because people aren't in bars doesn't mean it's not a high season. The bars have ruined many a vacation so people just avoid them, going to malls and markets instead. Relationships are also build year round with ladies working in massage parlors who of course claim not to be here year round, just come to be with the guy doing Thai things like shopping and eating. The bar world is coming to a quick end. 

Did I mention bars?

I do recall the weekend in 2007 that I mentioned, the last weekend before Christmas. All of a sudden the town was chockers, malls, beaches and bars. Then about 2 weeks later, when most of the traditional travelers two weeks Christmas Holiday was up, the place emptied just as rapidly. I made a point of watching for the influx on subsequent 'last weekend before Christmas' and it didn't happen. I think the 2008 financial crash was the initial cause of the disappearance of Pattaya's traditional high season and in the interim, the demographic has changed. The year-long, high-visibility Russian package tourist that built up between 2009 and the collapse of the Ruble in 2014 has been largely replaced by Indians and more recently Chinese.

Anyway... way off topic since AFAIK Chinese and Indians don't do ribs.

...or bars, or massages.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the photo. The prices make one wonder what they are thinking? This isn't Bangkok and the location isn't, well, it isn't going to get people walking by. However, some mystical way the sister restaurant next door has remained open with even higher prices and no customers. There is money behind these projects and with all the violence in the world it's nice to see someone spending away without a care about profitability here in Pattaya.

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Thanks for the photo. The prices make one wonder what they are thinking? This isn't Bangkok and the location isn't, well, it isn't going to get people walking by. However, some mystical way the sister restaurant next door has remained open with even higher prices and no customers. There is money behind these projects and with all the violence in the world it's nice to see someone spending away without a care about profitability here in Pattaya.

That's your neighbourhood  why not give us a review of the 1/2 chicken special?

2 hours ago, pegman said:

That's your neighbourhood  why not give us a review of the 1/2 chicken special?

195 Baht is a "special" for 1/2 of a chicken? 

The place may be okay, or even good. The prices are simply ridiculous as posted here. I somehow learned it wrong. I thought you started with low prices and then raised them after generating a customer base? I guess there are those who care more about keeping away from the riff raff at joints way overcharging. The BBQ joint down the same Soi is really doing a remarkable custom keeping Russel chain smoking all day and night. 

7 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

The place may be okay, or even good. The prices are simply ridiculous as posted here. I somehow learned it wrong. I thought you started with low prices and then raised them after generating a customer base? I guess there are those who care more about keeping away from the riff raff at joints way overcharging. The BBQ joint down the same Soi is really doing a remarkable custom keeping Russel chain smoking all day and night. 

The OP is about where to get 'american style ribs' and this is a new venue. 

13 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Portions are large and the price includes a choice of two side dishes. The resto next door " Steak & Co " has a great selection of steak, not expensive by any means and also has huge portions. I think both places are well run and know their customer base. 

10 hours ago, Pdaz said:

Portions are large and the price includes a choice of two side dishes. The resto next door " Steak & Co " has a great selection of steak, not expensive by any means and also has huge portions. I think both places are well run and know their customer base. 

I'll give the new venture a try. Thanks for your comments. As to the steaks next door, been there done that and disagree. I think they are one in the same "owner" or whatever they call the one who spent the money to make the place decent. 

32 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

I'll give the new venture a try. Thanks for your comments. As to the steaks next door, been there done that and disagree. I think they are one in the same "owner" or whatever they call the one who spent the money to make the place decent. 

Steak&Co have added quite a lot to their menu recently. Don't know how long ago you tried it ?  Smokin Joes has only just started and I think they still need some fine tuning. The ribs were tender and well smoked but I didn't think they were succulent enough. I'm guessing this is mostly to do with the fat content of the local pork.

American hogmeat belly pork would carry more fat and I would expect it to be far juicer at the end of a long slow smoking. Sauce flavour was good but I'd prefer a little more spice heat in the dry rubbed ribs I tried. Brisket was also tender and well smoked but once again would have benefited from more fat. 

I have the same problem slow cooking and smoking at home if the meat is too lean.

I'm still holding high hopes for Smokin Joes as its one of the few places in Pattaya doing real smoked ribs rather than just the oven baked/slow cooked version.

20 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Just to note that daily specials at "the BBQ joint down the same Soi" are more expensive than the place I posted about.

21 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Well Jerry if it kept you out I guess the plan worked. That price for a half BBQ chicken does not seem unreasonable. I will gave to give it a try when I get back over. As for ribs, as you know, no place touches Eddie's.

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Well Jerry if it kept you out I guess the plan worked. That price for a half BBQ chicken does not seem unreasonable. I will gave to give it a try when I get back over. As for ribs, as you know, no place touches Eddie's.

By "Eddies" I assume you mean Rich Man Poor Man (RMPM) in Jomtien.  I ate RMPM's ribs a couple of weeks ago and they were good.  I really like the sauce.  I would really like to see pics along with a review of Smokin' Joes (SJ).  I am more interested in the items that are hard or almost impossible to find over here:  i.e., really good smoked brisket and pulled pork.  It seems like lots of places do ribs that are OK, such as Sizzler; Tequilla Reef, etc.  It would be great if just one entrepreneur would travel to Texas and copy the smoked BBQ (beef brisket, sausage, ham, ribs) that is served there.  I am not in the restaurant business, but I have to assume that it is almost impossible to get a decent brisket w/ the proper amount of fat content here, and importing them is way too expensive.  

Briskets used to be affordable.  I used to buy a whole brisket.  The price was around 290b a kilo. Then all the Korean restaurants in bkk starting buying  them and the price shot way up.

I would like to see some photos from the new place as well.

Edited by NickJ
None

16 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

By "Eddies" I assume you mean Rich Man Poor Man (RMPM) in Jomtien.  I ate RMPM's ribs a couple of weeks ago and they were good.  I really like the sauce.  I would really like to see pics along with a review of Smokin' Joes (SJ).  I am more interested in the items that are hard or almost impossible to find over here:  i.e., really good smoked brisket and pulled pork.  It seems like lots of places do ribs that are OK, such as Sizzler; Tequilla Reef, etc.  It would be great if just one entrepreneur would travel to Texas and copy the smoked BBQ (beef brisket, sausage, ham, ribs) that is served there.  I am not in the restaurant business, but I have to assume that it is almost impossible to get a decent brisket w/ the proper amount of fat content here, and importing them is way too expensive.  

I am planning checking out their brisket and ribs today. If you mean traditional east Texas, black 'po folks' BBQ as practiced at Burn's Original BBQ in Acres Homes , north Houston, I am working on it.

14 hours ago, NickJ said:

Briskets used to be affordable.  I used to buy a whole brisket.  The price was around 290b a kilo. Then all the Korean restaurants in bkk starting buying  them and the price shot way up.

I would like to see some photos from the new place as well.

I just cooked up a pulled brisket chili and paid around 450 baht for around 1.5 kg of brisket from Makro on Sukhumvit (Pattaya). Decent cut with good fat content and although pot chili and smoked BBQ meat needs differ, I am pretty sure once one gets chatting with a couple of their butchers, they can provide close to best-for-BBQ requirements.

Edited by NanLaew