Why you should wear a m/c helmet.

BritManToo

Maybe the previous two posters have already taken a few hits to their heads.

If they have, it's been their choice to wear or not wear a helmet. If they've paid the price, let's hope they learned from it,

Unfortunately, no matter how often some people stumble over 'smart,' they seem to just pick themselves up again as if nothing has happened, ignore it, and go on being stupid.

No need to insult people. You think it is stupid, does not mean everyone else does. Live your life. Let me live mine. And yes, I wear a helmet. Blew a tire, Ides of March 1972, rode off a 40 foot cliff. broke left leg in 3 places, split the fibreglass 3/4 helmet from brow to neck roll. Crawled away.

On the contrary, I think every 'rational' adult knows it's stupid not to wear a helmet. Some just prefer to ignore that fact and ride without one anyway. As I said before, I'm NOT in favor of helmet laws, and I believe each person should have the right to decide for themselves. I'm a huge fan of Darwinsm.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why wear a motorcycle helmet?

Because it's the law?!? Because having an extra layer of protection between the brain and (potential impact with) solid objects just might save you (despite what those who believe that the bones in the skull are protection enough)?!?

Driving on Thai roads can be a scary proposition. Do you drive with your eyes closed so that you don't see something that might terrify you? Do you drive without a seatbelt because you've heard that there is a slim chance that, in the event of an accident, you may be thrown clear and saved from a potentially life threatening injury?

I've heard that the sudden jolt of an opening parachute can cause serious injuries or, if you get tangled up in the ropes, you can be strangled and killed. Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

Why ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Is your life so worthless that it's not worth the investment in prolonging it?

Not a trick question.

On the contrary, I think every 'rational' adult knows it's stupid not to wear a helmet. Some just prefer to ignore that fact and ride without one anyway. As I said before, I'm NOT in favor of helmet laws, and I believe each person should have the right to decide for themselves. I'm a huge fan of Darwinsm.

From stupid to irrational. Huge leap. If they have the 'right' - as you said above - bad form to criticise their choice.

This helmet debate pops up on a regular basis. I am a no helmet kinda guy. It's my choice and it shouldn't bother you as I am not advocating you should follow my example. What should be more of a concern is the number of drunken morons out on the roads, the even bigger number of no trained or poorly trained vehicle operators and the number of vehicles that lack even the most basic of safety related items like head or tail lamps, blinkers, rear view mirror's and decent tyres/suspension/brakes.

Don't get hung up on the helmet thing. Some of us rode without helmets before the bull$hit laws came into play and we are still here today!

papa not skeered of dying in wreck, but paralysed from traumatic brain injury, skeery; hence helmet.

and

Canthai: "From stupid to irrational. Huge leap. If they have the 'right' - as you said above - bad form to criticise their choice."

1. irrational \\ stupid.

no leap.

&

2. he wasn't criticising.

you totally makin' dat up.

Edited by papa al

papa not skeered of dying in wreck, but paralysed from traumatic brain injury, skeery; hence helmet.

and

Canthai: "From stupid to irrational. Huge leap. If they have the 'right' - as you said above - bad form to criticise their choice."

1. irrational \\ stupid.

no leap.

&

2. he wasn't criticising.

you totally makin' dat up

There are so many variables in all crashes....

Tho not motorcycle related but same situation as you speak of Michael Schumacher was wearing a helmet.Yes?

Is he not in the very same state that you are so scared of?

And he is far from being a "one off" case.

Edited by garryjohns

• Schu...yes exactly.

Nothing is 100%

They say he was wearing a helmet, but cannot find details.

That info is being tightly suppressed.

Many suspect helmet-cam was implicated.

His injuries seem inconsistent with normal ski/helmet use, if so

quite possibly ’one-off'.

If not, kindly enlighten me to a similar case.

Also remember, if you modify your certified helmet [e.g., mount camera], this voids the certification.

Can be ticketed in some jurisdictions.

Helmeted rider can sustain neck injuries causing quadriplegia,

Scared of that too.

• Schu...yes exactly.

Nothing is 100%

Also remember, if you modify your certified helmet [e.g., mount camera], this voids the certification.

Scared of that too.

When i mentioned Schumacher incident not being a one off, i was talking of "in general" not ski crashs per se, meaning someone who should in theory not have had such a major trauma has indeed copped it bad,whatever the type of incident, bikes,skis ,etc

As i said, every crash has many variables.

I've seen people escape without serious injuries from horrific looking crashes, and also seen people die in minor ones.

Luck plays a huge part of everyday life {IMO}

When your time has come, when your luck has run out, that is when things will happen no matter how wrapped in cottonwool you are, also IMO.

Makes sense!

No more safety gear for me.

My old jacket is all tore up from a crash where it saved me, & same for a helmet, anyway.

Sure as hell not gonna buy new.

Luck should be sufficient.

Luck should be sufficient.

Comprehension is not your strong point huh?rolleyes.gif

• Schu...yes exactly.

Nothing is 100%

Scared of that too.

When i mentioned Schumacher incident not being a one off, i was talking of "in general" not ski crashs per se, meaning someone who should in theory not have had such a major trauma has indeed copped it bad,whatever the type of incident, bikes,skis ,etc

I've seen people escape without serious injuries from horrific looking crashes, and also seen people die in minor ones.

When your time has come, when your luck has run out, that is when things will happen no matter how wrapped in cottonwool you are, also IMO.

Here IMO is a great example of what i say about luck.

These guys were doing all things right. ,staggered formation and safety gear wise .

Bad luck hitting the dog.

Bloody huge amount of good luck not getting run over by the truck.

All the safety gear in the world probably would not have stopped these guys being killed if by bad luck the truck had squashed them, instead of missing by SFA!

Today , their luck had not run out..End of story! LUCK!! That is the only reason they are not dead.

They say " a picture is worth a thousand words" in this case a video is worth a lot more.

Comprehendez now papa al?

Edited by garryjohns

Gerry john posted:

As retired physiotherapist, papa is familiar with traumatic brain injury profiles, somewhat.
Obviously not so well informed as you sir.
Examples please?
[another major head trauma copped bad to helmeted athlete]
Just one verifiable example, please.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
flaming

• Schu...yes exactly.

Nothing is 100%

Scared of that too.

Here IMO is a great example of what i say about luck.

These guys were doing all things right. ,staggered formation and safety gear wise .

Bad luck hitting the dog.

Bloody huge amount of good luck not getting run over by the truck.

All the safety gear in the world probably would not have stopped these guys being killed if by bad luck the truck had squashed them, instead of missing by SFA!

Today , their luck had not run out..End of story! LUCK!! That is the only reason they are not dead.

They say " a picture is worth a thousand words" in this case a video is worth a lot more.

Comprehendez now papa al?

An old golf player saying goes:

The more I practice, the luckier I get.

The same goes for motorcycle safety.

The more safety measures you practice, the luckier you get.

Wear a helmet and get luckier !!!

Gerry john posted:

As retired physiotherapist, papa is familiar with traumatic brain injury profiles, somewhat.
Obviously not so well informed as you sir.
Examples please?

DELETED

Examples please?
Not sure if you are just trollng, or as i said earlier that you have major comprehension difficulties
Athletes?? i figure{ Marco Simoncelli being just one] but as you are well aware, i in no way pinpointed /isolated "athletes" in my post, so stop with your nonsense already!
Back to the issue at hand, why dont you address my response to your #73 where you tried to make a mockery of my opinion that luck does indeed play a huge part of the outcome of many crashes?
Edited by garryjohns