CDC President: Charter drafters to make nationwide tour to explain draft charter

webfact

CDC President: Charter drafters to make nationwide tour to explain draft charter

BANGKOK, 15 April 2016 (NNT) - The Constitution Drafting Commission is soon going to visit people across the country to explain the details of the new draft charter, according to the commission’s chief.

CDC President Meechai Richupan says that the charter drafters will begin the trip after the public referendum law is passed and put into effect.

Mr. Meechai said that the CDC will also need to study the law prior to the start of the trip to make sure that the charter drafters’ roles and responsibilities are covered by this law.

He added that, if the public referendum law does not cover the CDC, there may need to be an amendment while the charter drafters simultaneously study the Criminal Code and related announcements from the National Council for Peace and Order.

Mr. Meechai went on to say that the CDC will start the tour with a meeting with role-model teachers and various community leaders, who can help spread the information to people in their respective areas.

He said that the CDC will be planning the details of the visits in coordination with various organizations, the police, the military, the Interior Ministry, the Social Development Ministry, the Public Health Ministry, the Defence Ministry and other concerned agencies to draw a conclusion on the plan.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-15 footer_n.gif

Visit carefully selected locations to meet carefully chosen people who will only ask suitably vetted questions.

I'll bet they won't go anywhere thought to be ' hostile ' and where awkward questions might be posed and criticism aired.

Maybe it's well thought out after all as anyone criticising would be breaking the law and the CDC is only practicing crime prevention.

But they're going to start the trip AFTER the referendum is passed and put into law. What's the point? Maybe I'm missing something but I would have thought before the referendum would make sense

But they're going to start the trip AFTER the referendum is passed and put into law. What's the point? Maybe I'm missing something but I would have thought before the referendum would make sense

I think they meant they will go "on tour" after the bill authorising the referendum has been rubber stamped (sorry, of course I meant thoroughly debated and passed) and before the referendum is held.

Either way a pointless exercise if you're not allowed to voice criticism.

Now that the draft has been completed, Meechai's role is finished.

But instead he begins to create new roles for the CDC. There is no public law nor Provisional Charter that covers the CDC's role in the referendum. The NCPO amended its Charter and the NLA passed new laws that authorize the EC to prepare and hold the referendum. CDC's role was a sunset organization.

Apparently, Meechai enjoys the limelight of power and doesn't to want to lose it - to be turned off like the robotron that he was for the NCPO. If Prayut doesn't check Meechai's unilateral declarations, Prayut has lost control of the referendum process, damaged EC's creditability and added more confusion to the public's understanding of the draft charter.

If Prayut refuses to confront Meechai's rogueness and doubts the draft will pass the referendum, Prayut needs to bring an end to what is becoming a complicated and unpredictable referendum process. To that end Prayut should cancel the referendum, have the NLA pass the draft as it did for the 1997 draft constitution and get a royal endorsement to make the draft charter law. The Thai people have suffered through 21 draft constitutions - this will just be one more.

But instead he begins to create new roles for the CDC. There is no public law nor Provisional Charter that covers the CDC's role in the referendum. The NCPO amended its Charter and the NLA passed new laws that authorize the EC to prepare and hold the referendum. CDC's role was a sunset organization.

Apparently, Meechai enjoys the limelight of power and doesn't to want to lose it - to be turned off like the robotron that he was for the NCPO. If Prayut doesn't check Meechai's unilateral declarations, Prayut has lost control of the referendum process, damaged EC's creditability and added more confusion to the public's understanding of the draft charter.

If Prayut refuses to confront Meechai's rogueness and doubts the draft will pass the referendum, Prayut needs to bring an end to what is becoming a complicated and unpredictable referendum process. To that end Prayut should cancel the referendum, have the NLA pass the draft as it did for the 1997 draft constitution and get a royal endorsement to make the draft charter law. The Thai people have suffered through 21 draft constitutions - this will just be one more.

Deal with it

More lies,more BS told to a population that is 80% uneducated.I know in the village where i live they dont even know or care what the charter is, or is for,.It's going to be more like a traveling circus.

- Corruption in Thailand is widespread.

- The rule of law is ever changing.

- The Charter is ripped up routinely.

- The average poor Thai citizen is disinterested about a new Charter.

I would say the average poor Thai citizen is rational.

Roll up roll up for the Mystery Tour
Roll up roll up for the Mystery Tour
Roll up
That's an invitation to obey
Roll up for the Mystery Tour
Roll up
To make a reservation for AA
Roll up for the Mystery Tour
The Magical Mystery Tour
Is waiting to take you away for AA
Waiting to take you away for AA

Deal with it

Well, that was as clear as mud.

More lies,more BS told to a population that is 80% uneducated.I know in the village where i live they dont even know or care what the charter is, or is for,.It's going to be more like a traveling circus.

"uneducated'

You're brave. The last time I said something similar I was accused of associating with the dregs of Thai Society and even being one of the dregs myself.

I have no idea how many read the 2007 charter, not many I fear. No doubt the number of Thai people who will read the new draft will be the same. On the other hand no one was ever able to tell me who read the 'peoples charter' of 1997.

At times I think of all people who read one or more Thai charters we TVF members form the absolute majority.

Edited by rubl

Surely if he stops work, he stops getting his more than handsome allowance and expenses and stops being someone who has influence and all the envelope generating power that goes with that. He simply wants to milk the cow until it runs dry. Understandable.